How to trust a hosting company

Iam really intrested how you people in the US trust a hosting company in such a large competitive market?

Iam asking this because we are a UAE based company & would like to learn some extras from you
    •••AESERVER UAE Hosting & Domains [www.aeserver.com]•••
    United Arab Emirates' Premier Webhosting & Domain Name Registrar.
    •••ae Domain Administration (aeDA.ae) accredited registrar | Register your .ae today!•••

When I look for a web host, I usually search google and these forums for any reviews of the company. I contact the sales department a few times so that I can get a feel for the response time and the quality of the reponse.
    ~ Nick

well...I am not a US citizen, I live in Europe and my host was reccomended me by a friend.
    First of all - look at WHT. people there just write what did they experience. Nobody thjere is paid for positive/negative reviews. Then make web search and tyou will find other forums, individual reviews. That should help you realise who is who.
    I advice to sent an "what if I..." email and check how quickkly did they answer. Do they answer exhaustively? Do they bombard your email later with 'special proposals"? Do they have forum, live chat? It is good to take a look into company's forum - how is it managed? Are the answers professional? Are users banned for disagreement with the company?
    I personally avoid companies that are offering too much for too less.For example, if I am offered 10 Ggs of space, 50 gigs of bandwith for 2 $ - there's something definitely wrong. If they offer 100% uptime- it's nonsense.
    The world market is overcrowded, but when you do a good search, you will definitely find the best host

Resseler host.

Hi! I'm from Europe too. My friend is a resseler and offered me a host. It's cheap. My friend isn't proffesional but host working good and have good parameters for me. I think its good idea to buy from friends.

Iam really intrested how you people in the US trust a hosting company in such a large competitive market?
    Well, it's just like anything else in the US be it any type of E-commerce transaction. In our case we are a Business Internet Solutions Provider, and some of our best customers operate in the U.A.E. One thing from experience that you should look for, is a company who truly can support you during your business hours, as there is a significant time difference between US business hours and UAE business hours (almost completely opposite). E-mail is crucial and you will definitely need support within a few hours or sooner if something happens.

Another thing to look for is price, as you know you get what you pay for.

Additionally, check out the company's customer base, do they host a substantial enough client base where you can count on the fact they just wont shut the doors one day? Make sure they have experience working with companies in your area. I would also advise you stay away from organizations that are not comfortable with alternate payment methods such as Wire Transfer, or Mailing Checks. Verify ahead of time their merchant bank will accept payment by your International Visa or MC, because some do not. And best of all, ask for a customer referral in your area and e-mail the customer what they think of that company's services.

Also remember not to neglect the important things like what kind of bandwidth they have (make sure there is multiple carrier fail over), look for offsite backup, make sure that the hardware is of good quality, and power redundancy is a big one. Oh and one last thing make sure you save your money and only buy a package that is enough for what you need. Any hosting company that tries to sell you significantly more then you need should tip you off. This is a sign that the company does not operate with good character, business principles are important if you are seeking a company who is honest.

I am sure you will find a host that will serve your needs.
    Remember there is no perfect host for everyone, only the perfect host for you! As in all things there may be some trial and error.

Best of luck...

I live in Canada and the web hosting company I'm with is situated in UAE (Micfo.com). A question of trust is interesting because eventually it would reflect all other world regions.

My trust is based on service and performance, both has been outstanding. I have no problem trusting a company from anywhere as long as I have a good feeling that I am dealing with professionals who are fluent in English language and who actually deliver what they promise.

You see, for most people, trust is an inner feeling. Sometimes when you see a person or a company you'd say, "he/it is trust looking...". That happens when lack of information exists. Once you get to know people and companies you choose to deal with, it becomes clear whether your initial feeling was right or wrong.

In case of web hosting company, you have to look at many things however: starting with how the web site is presented, what is offered, how competitive the offers are, if there are testimonials offered you can check, if they accept more than just PayPal, whats their infrastructure like, etc. All of the above helps me personally make a decision.

Lastly, if you don't try, you just never know.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Yes those are all good points, and these I think will prove good for you if you pay special attention to:

In case of web hosting company, you have to look at many things however: starting with how the web site is presented, what is offered, how competitive the offers are, if there are testimonials offered you can check, if they accept more than just PayPal, whats their infrastructure like, etc. All of the above helps me personally make a decision.
    It may also be beneficial to go with a company directly in your area that you can physically visit. Since a positive testimonial was given to Micfo.com, I would check them out if I were you and start asking some questions and see what kind of "feeling" you get with them. As artashes alluded to, instincts do play a role in solid business decisions.

Again, good luck!

Greetings Artashes,

Thanks for your trust, however just to clarify one thing. Micfo.com's head quarter is based in UAE (Dubai), however we operate two offices in US (Indiana and Alabama) alone.

Had to comment to avoid any confusion :-)

Thanks.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com

Personally, I'd say that I start by searching for un-biased customer feedback on any company that I am considering. It is surprising how many of those giants out there have a really poor customer satisfaction record.
    Then, I look at features+prices, of course.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Greeting to everyone,

I would like to thank you all for those great suggestions & comments.
    We will currently try to gain a high trust in the UAE, the webhosting market is getting to hot here. If we will totally succeed, that is increasing our customer base upto 100% of what we have now, we will be surely expanding through the world.

The only thing that cases hesitates in the UAE for international customers, is the payment methods. Paypal & other popular gateways are not supported in the UAE. However many in the UAE prefer door-to-door money, what we usually do is send one of our agents to the clients office directly, this adds some positive feeling to the customer about us.
    However we solved this trouble with paypal for our futur customers from paypal supported regions, we have created a bank account in Canada & transfer our funds there!

Regards
    •••ae Domain Administration (aeDA.ae) accredited registrar | Register your .ae today!•••

To trust a host -

research (google, searches here for the host)
    contact (email sales see how they handle you)
    time, only time will truly gain trust, the longer you're with a host and the longer things are "good" the more you can trust them.

I've seen hosts go down in flames who before the breakdown they had glowing reviews. So even good reviews and "good" google won't mean for sure the host is trustworthy.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I would test out support beforehand. That should give you an idea about customer service.

You can always try the BBB as well.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Yes, thats a good idea, I will try to follow all the steps to become verified by BBBonline.
    Can anyone tell me now, when you will visit our website, can you tell us from the look & the atmosphere there, will you trust us?

yea me too will try to contact the support team ..and see how they responds..
    also will try to know who all hve hosted in them presently..after clearing all these..we will got for a deal..

Right, prompt support is important to you, inquire as to the average response time of trouble tickets.

You can also ask the host which bandwidth providers they use and also for their current uptime and its guarantee.
    Last edited by etechsupport2; 06-17-2005 at 02:34 AM.

You can always try the BBB as well.
    It doesn't hurt to check it, but IMO it bears relatively little weight.

bbb is a waste of time

Originally posted by stiksandstones
    bbb is a waste of time
    Hum.. I really dont think so.

Just one comment...

What ever you do to know about a hosting company...you'll never know what's coming in the future..

Just look at DINIX....it WAS one of the perfect companeis...(where ever you search..) but the result you can find it here, in (WHT)...
    Last edited by writespeak; 09-24-2005 at 09:30 PM.

Originally posted by stiksandstones
    bbb is a waste of time
    Why?

What I wonder is not only how to trust them regarding billing etc.

But I wonder what if they read and use my data? What if they read email accounts of my members in my database and sell it to third parties?

Is there any way I can rest assured (and my members)?

Smile Happy looking

Quote Originally Posted by dabac_rm
    What I wonder is not only how to trust them regarding billing etc.

But I wonder what if they read and use my data? What if they read email accounts of my members in my database and sell it to third parties?

Is there any way I can rest assured (and my members)?

Well, in my opinion reading and using client's user is not adviseable. However, doing maintenance goes as far as checking system integrity for satisfying support. Somehow, we can also get to know the hosting company from their live chat support whether it's friendly or not, has it been a pleasant experience or not, billing system should be explain up front, while the technology and the underlying infrastructure best recommended to have it written and provided so we guys would know whether we can rely on this hosting provider or not. Well, if I am not mistaken to quote. There is no perfect hosting provider or company. To say otherwise would have been misleading to the clients. However, there is good and best hosting plan being offered... Well happy looking..... =)

Cheer,

Eric Preston

<< signatures are to be set up in profiles >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 12-17-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stiksandstones
    bbb is a waste of time

BBB is good if you want to research a company and find out how they handled complaints.

I do remember years back we were looking for a company to provide us with with over 100 computers... researched the company through bbb and it turned out they had many complaints unresolved. It also turned out that they were owned by another company that went bust. We did not go with them and 3 or 4 months later they went bust. LOL Of course they came back under a different name....

We were lucky, you may see a company that looks ok with BBB, but is a bad company. BBB is a part of the puzzle... I would not discount a quick look there....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!