British-Indian or Indian-British

Ok, I am a bit confused.

African in USA is called African-american.

What about the Chinese in USA? NYDaily calls them American-Chinese, but I thought it should be called Chinese-American.

BBC calls Indians in UK, Britian-Indian.

Chicago Tribune calls it Indian-British

What is the right one? Coz you dont' want it confused with British White with Indian citizenship.

Thanks!

American-Chinese or Chinese-American is both ways I think.

generally we really don't refer to other nationalities or groups of people as "hyphenated" americans, it's almost exclusive to the african-american name

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    generally we really don't refer to other nationalities or groups of people as "hyphenated" americans, it's almost exclusive to the african-american name
    Well, there is also the American-Indian, which refers to the Indians who were in North America first, not the from India
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

True, but if you want to be truely P-C the term is "Native Americans" the "Indian" term within itself was a misconception by the early explorers thinking they were actually Indians as in India

I personally dont think we should really label people's race like this. I mean you don't see me calling myself a native american or a european american.

in my eyes they're nothing more than Americans just like in your case he/she is a indian.
    Kerry Jones

Well, if it can be used both ways, then what do we call 'British White living in India' ?

to me and i am english your either indian or british not both, Wtf is it with people that they have to be catagorised as both but then i would be seen as racist for having such views and am barred from expessing them although nothing could be further from the truth.

If your an indian be proud of that fact i dont mind i'm english and proud if you were born in england and still see yourself as an indian again be proud and be an indian it matters not to me your just another person to say hello to when i meet you.......

When did pride come into the picture?

I was asking about the English language.

When I read newspapers addressing 'British-Indian', I want to know whom it refers to.

Some papers try to be clearer by saying "British of Indian origin".