Webhost required...

Hi. I am looking for a good web host that would match my hosting requirements; please could people recommend places they'd suggest I go for? I'm looking for a webhost that offers Unixlike-OS hosting, mySQL, Perl and more importantly, live web support via text chat or IM, for $50/mo or less. I'd like around 1GB storage space and a very high bandwidthpace ratio, perhaps 50:1 (eg. 50GB transfer) or more. I could probably live with around 30GB transfer/mo at first, though.

jez9999,

There are a lot of hosts who can meet those requirements.
    Select a few (search these forums for reviews on any specific ones you're considering first) and then go ahead and contact their support, test them, etc.

If they provide satisfactory answers to your questions, are prompt, then add them to a list.

Once you have a decent list, go ahead and pick and you can't really lose.

Research, research research.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

You should look for a few host's on WHT , And ask around.

Once you make a List of about 5 - 10.
    Do a little research on each one , And i'm sure your be able to find a good one.

Unixlike-OS hosting
    You mean FreeBSD or will a Linux flavour be OK as well?

(...)web support via text chat or IM, for $50/mo or less. I'd like around 1GB storage space and a very high bandwidthpace ratio, perhaps 50:1 (eg. 50GB transfer) or more.
    That's a bit of an unballanced account; 10:1 is more common, because it makes more sense for the host. Then again, the hosts that oversell their bandwidth more significantly, will tend to offer this type of unballanced packages.

One thing that is really refreshing is to see that you have a very good budget.

Your request for livechat/IM will limit your options rather significantly. May I ask why IM/live chat support is so important for you?

ldcdc: Because I don't like submitting a ticket/email and then waiting. Also I sometimes have some custom configurations I need that really suck via anything but live chat, eg. installation of Perl modules on my account and certain changes that need to be made to httpd.conf to allow handlers to be set up.

BTW, your site looks quite interesting.

Several hosts here can handle this for you, including the live chat. Have you cheked out the HostQuote option here? Also, try the search facility.

Happy hunting!
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Many hosts.

Hi! I've found some free web hosts with good parameters and cheap hosts. I'm paying for a host only ~1$/mo and i'm glad for that host.
    It working good since february.
    Last edited by kalesin; 06-15-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Take a look at the offers forum and do some research on a couple.
    David

Yes, there's loads about within that spec. The big key when I look for a web host is uptime as I've had some bad experiences in the past!

I believe you can get something you'd like for maybe $10-15/ month. Live support... well, Micfo offers that, for instance. I am one of their happy customers myself.
    Good Luck!
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Also I sometimes have some custom configurations I need that really suck via anything but live chat, eg. installation of Perl modules on my account and certain changes that need to be made to httpd.conf to allow handlers to be set up.
    I see. If that's the case, then you need to make sure that the staff they use for live chat is not "level 1 support", or, in any case, that their live chat staff can handle such requests. Many (if not most) hosts will use live chat for basic requests, and won't give the operator much access to the server.

Good luck in your search!