Dedicated Lines vs. Colocation

For the past 4 years or so I've been using Colo for hosting my servers. Now that I am in need of a new server about every 6 months I'm looking into getting my own lines run. Has anybody ever done this and what are the pros and cons?

Well, the largest con is that you'll have to spend a lot of money to equal the amount of bandwidth available at an ISP. Keep in mind that you'll probably want to have redundant connections.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

Generally, your not going to be able to mimic a colo environment when running your own lines unless you build a datacenter class structure with it. Your best bet would just be to get a full rack (or multiple racks, whatever the case may be) and load up a new server every 6 months. Your going to save a tremendous ammount of money going that route.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I'll look into renting a rack option, does anybody know of a good company for renting racks?

Equinix, Switch and Data, Telehouse all come to mind. There are also carrier specific facilities dependent on who you want to use as your bandwidth provider.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

tpubcom,

All depends on location.

Where are you located?
    You'll want something not too far away, sleep easier knowing you can get in contact by driving there (worst possible scenario) if needed.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.