Any ideas about backup software?

Hello,
    This is what I have today:

more than 10 Linux and FreeBSD servers
    more than 10 Windows servers.

1 Backup Storage server on windows.

Windows servers maps disks on backupserver.
    Linuxservers mount disks on same backupserver with samba.

Windows: Daily/weekly backups with Windows built-in backup utility.
    Linux: Daily/weekly backups with FlexBackup thru cron.

I'm looking for better backup solutions since flexbackup isn't as secure as I want. I've had trouble with corrupt backups etc with flexbackup.

Any good ideas?
    A complete backup solution for both windows and unix would be nice but a backup solution for unix that can backup from unix to a windows-fileserver is ok too.

Price: not too expensive

Thanks....

No suggestions?

Has anyone tried Arkeia Network Backup?
    arkeia.com/products/anb/
    Or know anything about it?

Hello
    You can try rsync, it works over ssh (encrypted), i even found a guide to install and configure rsync and ssh on windows:

http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help...rsync_pc1.html

Regards

Originally posted by GoranTornqvist
    Has anyone tried Arkeia Network Backup?
    arkeia.com/products/anb/
    Or know anything about it?
    I last/still use version 4. It works for the most part, giving you "enterprise" features less the associated cost. Their support was crap so the maintenance contract is a scam and not worth it. Their message boards will answer most stuff.

Unless 5 or newer versions are smarter, they keep an index of all your files on a 1:1 basis on the backup server. Get a large filesystem for it with small blocks that's really fast. Separate spindle is best.

It supports with (a payed license enable key) tape changers and all that stuff.

It really really helps to fully understand the product before you use it for real work. If you don't know the purpose of drives, drive pools, tapes, tape pools and all that it install it on a test box and play until it's all very clear. The key is there are many abstraction layers. There's no such thing as backing up a few files to a certain tape like with simple backup software. It stores a changelog of every file you backup. You can say restore a version of a file from 3 months 2 days ago, assuming you do and retain backups that long.

Arkeia is a fast product, way faster than tar files and stuff like that, even though it runs over a network. It's as fast as any tape drive I've connected to it, DLT or SLR.

The funky part (hopefully fixed after version 4) is backup just fail, at the start. The tape goes, it connects to the client(s) then just errors out with no useful message. If you start it again it will usually work again. Why? No idea. Still better than complete garbage like Arcserve.
    Ken

CROWHOST hosting+colocation services | 877-CROWHOST | support at crowhost.com
    Independent remote-hands serving all Chicago data centers

Hey

I think the best solution to your problem will be acronis true image server , works on both lunix and windows . We have a quite good experience with it.

CROWHOST: Thank you very much for your info.
    I'm gonna try the trial version and see if it works ok.
    It might be overkill since we don't need any advanced backup routines. Still, if it's simple to setup it could be worth switching to anb instead of scripting an own solution.

sh3lls.net:
    Funny you suggested that
    I was just looking into that same solution, SSH-Server on windows and rsync. Though I need a way to do a md5 checksum on the Windows SSH server and the transferred file and was having trouble doing this remote from the backup client...but that's another question
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=419148

Thank you both for your information
    Last edited by GoranTornqvist; 06-27-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Dimka: does that solution really work on FreeBSD?
    Though it sounds like a good application...creation of an image of the server and supporting incremental daily image backups.

i am not really sure about BSD's but you can check ther official website at www.acronis.com but i am sure they support linux and windows

followup:
    We've changed to bacula for all of our unix-servers and it works great! For our windows servers we use samba and the built-in windows backup program. The bacula windows client was too unstable.

The windows backup server, that is using Windows shared folders, how is it secured? What I'm getting at, is there any sort of authentication and structure to the shared directories?

I'm in a similar predicament, and I'm confused with how I can secure those shares. If you add Windows accounts, it means the machines need to use those accounts, so in Windows the backups can be run automatically (needs someone to type in l/p).

Hello,

The simple dump command also could be used for files backup