* Looking for WebChat Script

Hi all,
    I'm looking for the best webchat script; could be a clone of:
    http://www.heartchat.com
    http://www.alamak.com

Anyone have an idea wher to buy it from? or how much it cost?

Dont say go and search in google; coz I did that and all found are not as the above sites.

Regards
    Mohamed

If it's going to appear to be IRC based, you may as well have the web based chat connect to IRC itself: http://cgiirc.sourceforge.net/

If you want truly web based, that's a pretty simple and common script. I don't know any specific sites to download any from or how stable or secure they are, but they are all over the place.

If nothing else, a script like that should only take a few hours of your time to code a decent, stable and secure copy of those chat rooms, as they are pretty basic.

Hello Mohammed,

To tell you the truth both of these site suck (as far as the chat script) I wouldnt join it if it was the last one on earthh...

Why not try scripts which run via javascript , php or flash?

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

How is JavaScript or PHP any different from the one's in his/her example? JavaScript can maybe do some polling for you automatically and refresh a page or do some little things (but so can any language, really), and PHP is basically the same deal, being it'll be form based or use some server/app otherwise, but that's not really language specific. In other words, regardless of the language or interface used, the look you see is a result of how someone chose to code it, it could be much better.

Flash (as well as Java), on the other hand, such as you did list as well, can do real streaming, but then so can a server/client chat set up. I personally prefer web based chats, but I do agree the one's in the example are too basic and I don't think them interesting or attractive as a "chatter". Anyway, perhaps I just didn't fully understand your response when you mentioned other things like JavaScript, PHP, etc. and how it would be better?

Originally posted by Tim_Greer
    How is JavaScript or PHP any different from the one's in his/her example? JavaScript can maybe do some polling for you automatically and refresh a page or do some little things (but so can any language, really), and PHP is basically the same deal, being it'll be form based or use some server/app otherwise, but that's not really language specific. In other words, regardless of the language or interface used, the look you see is a result of how someone chose to code it, it could be much better.

Flash (as well as Java), on the other hand, such as you did list as well, can do real streaming, but then so can a server/client chat set up. I personally prefer web based chats, but I do agree the one's in the example are too basic and I don't think them interesting or attractive as a "chatter". Anyway, perhaps I just didn't fully understand your response when you mentioned other things like JavaScript, PHP, etc. and how it would be better?
    I was just trying to say that he should go to better chat scripts, Javascript based (digichat) or PHP/flash based ($5 chat).. those are way interesting and have more feature than an HTML using submit to refresh send message..

just that..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by azizny
    I was just trying to say that he should go to better chat scripts, Javascript based (digichat) or PHP/flash based ($5 chat).. those are way interesting and have more feature than an HTML using submit to refresh send message..

just that..

Peace,
    Digitchat doesn't use JavaScript, by the way. As for PHP based instead, I'm still not sure I understand the difference other than what they have the other scripts doing, since the other appear to be Perl, just the code is done to offer a very basic HTML based IRC chat? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious what you mean about how PHP would make any difference? I can indeed see a Flash chat being different, of course.

You know what I'd really like to see in a chat script, is the ablitiy to connect to with an IM client, like MSN Messenger or ICQ or something.

Basically, so I can chat with people on my website from my IM client.

I know ICQ has some stuff sorta like this, but last time I checked it out I wasn't very impressed.

I think I can probably pull something like that off by running a Jabber server, but I just havn't been able to find the time to get all that deep into it.
    rocket science is more fun when you accually have rockets!

That wouldn't be difficult to do at all. In fact, there are existing modules and code portions to do just that (interface with, log into and chat over AIM, ICQ, etc.) via a web page. Personally, I've never had any desire to use any, but it should be pretty simple to do, depending on the language and interface you want to use.

shweet,

I found a nice php class that connects to MSN Messenger
    http://flumpcakes.co.uk/php/msn-messenger

It shouldn't be hard to build a chat GUI around it now.
    rocket science is more fun when you accually have rockets!

i would say, just run an IRC daemon, and then run jIRC or another script that allows as a webclient for irc...