Parked domains or URL forwarding (redirecting)?

Parked domains versus URL forwarding (redirecting) - what are the pros and cons?

I have 3 versions of the same domain - domain.com, domain.net and domain.org. The web site is located at domain.com. Right now, I have parked domain.net and domain.org at domain.com, so if a user types in domain.net (in his browser), it will look to him as if my web site is located at domain.net (until he clicks my logo).

Instead of using parked domains, I could also opt for URL forwarding, so that when a user types in domain.net he is immediately forwarded to domain.com. Here, there's the advantage that he will not start copy/pasting URLs of my web site starting domain.net/etc/. Although they will work perfectly, I prefer sticking to the "real" domain.com URLs.

Also, search engines may have a preference for one or the other, but I don't know the score here.

What would you advise me to do?
    Thank you
    Anders

I think that URL forwarding is the best option in this case, if not, the user will be confuse about the main domain...
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

Re: Parked domains or URL forwarding (redirecting)?

Originally posted by cybahomie
    ... I could also opt for URL forwarding, so that when a user types in domain.net he is immediately forwarded to domain.com. Here, there's the advantage that he will not start copy/pasting URLs of my web site starting domain.net/etc/. Although they will work perfectly, I prefer sticking to the "real" domain.com URLs.

Also, search engines may have a preference for one or the other, but I don't know the score here.
    URL forwarding is probably your best bet. Having users link to various versions of your domain name will only dilute your search engine ranking.

I would try to train my customers to use the .com version.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

better to use one version for SEO and let the others as url forwading so they dont take place in SEs

i use the .net and forward the .com into my main .net, it all depends on the flavours
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I forward all my domains to their real destination (usually using the subdomain or domain of the webhost). The risk is that if the DNS fails people will not find the real location of the site, but I'm more confident in that TBH than to do hosting and domains at the same company - if it goes wrong you're stuffed for both.

In your case, I'd say forwarding anytime, as it seems the .net and .org are back-up domains for the .com
    If you brand the .com as main domain, I'd say: forwarding without any doubt.

I agree, URL forwarding is the best option for your backup domains.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

If it's all to promote the domain you're using, then domain forwarding seems like the obvious choice. I think domain parking could be useful if your plans are to use those domains for something different.