Thread: First Server

* First Server

Hello everyone,
    I am a true novice when it comes to communicating on the subject of servers so I am a little nervous about posting this. That being said, I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to advise me. I would appreciate any information at all.

Let me began by saying that I am an actress by trade and I had an idea for a service that would provide tools for actors. I got a loan, outsorced to India to have a site designed and got a host for testing and ultimatley running the site. Well, it seems that my idea is going use MUCH more disk space and bandwith than I originally calculated. So, I called Dell and bought this server:

[221-7181] 3.2GHz, 1MB Cache, 64 Bit, P4,800MHz Front Side Bus for PE800
    [463-5139] 1GB DDR2,400MHZ,4x256,1R PowerEdge 8X0
    [320-1862] Keyboard,104 Key,US,NMB,LC, ,MG
    [320-2907] Dell E773S Monitor, 17 inch (16.0 Inch Viewable), Gray PE/ PESC
    [341-1218] 160GB, SATA, 7.2K RPM, Drive for PowerEdge
    [341-1504] 1.44MB,3.5 IN,INT FDD,PE800
    [420-4148] Windows 2003 Small Business Server, Standard Edition
    [310-5367] Logitech USB 2-button Mouse
    [430-0488] On board Network Adapter
    [313-2818] 56K Data/Fax V.92 Internal Modem
    [313-2654] CDRW/DVD, 48X32, IDE, Half Height, PowerEdge and PowerEdge SC
    [310-5685] No Hard Copy Documentation, E-Docs ONLY and OpenManage CD Kit
    [341-1219] 160GB, SATA, 7.2K RPM, Additional Drive for PowerEdge
    [341-1484] C3,SATA SOFTWARE RAID 1 WITH 2HDS REQ MINIMUM,PE800

The host that I am using now, Distant Host, is great, very attentive and right there when I have a problem. But, I would be paying through the nose for space if I stay with them.

I have a dsl package that
    includes: Speed: 2Mbps Download | 384Kbps Upload
    Static IP: Includes 1

So, I have a few questions: 1. The Microsoft 2003 server software I could afford does not come with mysql, if a site is designed on a site with sql does it have to run on a server with mysql?

2. With the monthly cost of the paying off the server $60 and the monthly cost of the dsl $69 dollars is it worth the trouble of trying to maintain the server ( In other words how hard is it to maintain the server with Microsoft 2003 server?) That's not a very good question but I hope it will spur some informitive comments.

3. Am I insane and should I go back to the boards and never look back? Goodness, I had no Idea how much this idea would take to get off the ground! No, not really. The real question is, if each of my clients have 15mbs of flv streaming and I have say...300 clients what are the odds that the server I just bought and the dsl package I have will suffice?

Please, If anyone has any ideas or information or suggestions that the think will help. Let me know.
    Thank you in advance.
    Bluesy

You'd be better off getting colocation from a company.

why do you think so? because of bandwith?

Microsoft 2003 does not come with MySQL, but you could easily download it from them (for free). Try looking at http://www.mysql.com

Windows 2003 Server is indeed quite stable compared to the rest of the Windows family available out there. So, it would be fairly easy to maintain the server. On the other hand, having a server online means that you would have to update it occasionally, check for security loopholes and etc. You do not just put it there, install everything and hope it runs fine.

If you're trying to host the server in your house, then I would advice that you check with your ISP and see if they actually allow you to host a server with the current DSL line that you have. Quite a lot of ISP's do not allow you to do such a thing. Some of them even blocks incoming port 80 request. DSL does not seem like a good idea when you're talking about online servers which needs to be online practically 24/7.

Hope it answers at least a few of your questios (if not all). Good luck and hope you have a great day!
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Thank you aodat2,
    yes, I checked with the ISP and they do allow the port 80 with the package that I have. As far as updating the server do you mean software or backing it up? Checking for security loopholes would be like running norton or something similar, right? Thanks again. bluesy

Originally posted by bluesy
    Thank you aodat2,
    yes, I checked with the ISP and they do allow the port 80 with the package that I have. As far as updating the server do you mean software or backing it up? Checking for security loopholes would be like running norton or something similar, right? Thanks again. bluesy
    There's way more to Web Hosting than you actually think. LOL

Running Norton and etc is just for your PC's virus and the firewall from Norton is practically useless. There's no way to specify which port could be used and etc.

I'm not too sure about Windows Hosting as I've only done management on servers in the past. Right now, I don't even have a server to look at even if I wanted to (Windows Box, I mean).

As for keeping everything up to date and etc, what I'm meaning is making sure that it's not hacked. Making sure that everything is balanced (the load) and etc. Running a web server from home is easier said than done. Most of the time DSL will get quite crappy signals during busy hours. Will your server still be functioning the way you want it at those times? Will your clients be able to view everything like normal at those times?

Sorry can't be more help bluesy.
    Aaron Ong
    Dedicated Servers - 100TB Servers - 100Mbps Unmetered Servers - Web Hosting - CDN Network
    Servers in Central, East/West Coast USA, EUROPE and ASIA
    Welltodo Century
    - www.welltodocentury.com

Thanks again aodat2,
    No, I didn't mean I would use Norton on the server for checking for security problems, I meant a program that would run that way, i.e. do sweeps for possible problems. I do appreciate your input, its help quite a bit.
    Bluesy

Relating to your question (2)...

You should hire a windows administrator if you don't have the administration skills. Running a server securely and correctly is much more advanced and technically draining then managing your windows XP workstation.

Prepare to spend at least 10 hours configuring it properly, and many more on maintaining/running it. When things start going wrong, you would have wished you had it done correctly from the start.

Lots of vulnerabilities in Windows, even a novice hacker can gain entry and violate it.

Thanks again aodat2,
    No, I didn't mean I would use Norton on the server for checking for security problems, I meant a program that would run that way, i.e. do sweeps for possible problems. I do appreciate your input, its help quite a bit.
    Bluesy
    You cannot just run 1 program like Norton's range of security checks.

You have to keep Windows patched, sql server patched, and many other services checked, etc...

microsoft baseline security analyser would be a good start.

Thank you aodat2,
    Think of it this way:

Colo can be as low as $100 a month. DSL is no where near enough bandwidth. You are better off setting one or two servers down in a secure datacenter.

EDIT, example (1200gb of bandwidth):
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ght=colocation

You can do even better than this, too.

Thank you Blazin Trav and Giganet,
    I knew I came to the right place! All of you have given me much to think about. I will look into the colo idea with some management. It's just that I am on such a tight buget and I was trying to figure out a way to work a little harder and maybe save some money, you know?
    Thanks again
    Bluesy

Thank you Blazin Trav and Giganet,
    I knew I came to the right place! All of you have given me much to think about. I will look into the colo idea with some management. It's just that I am on such a tight buget and I was trying to figure out a way to work a little harder and maybe save some money, you know?
    Thanks again
    Bluesy
    If you know a friend who can manage it's best. That's what I am doing.

I know how money is, you might want to consider a reseller account from ISNnetworks.net:

Savvis-WHM6 VAST HOSTED

* 30000MB Disk Space
    * 750GB Bandwidth
    * Unlimited Domains
    * Non IRC Network
    * WHM Reseller Account
    * Savvis Fortworth Data Centre
    * 24/7 Support

Only $49.95 Per Month

Also VPS - virtual private servers, etc might have been a better choice. Good luck!

That's GREAT to know Blazin Trav! I may be sending the server back to Dell if that works out!

That's GREAT to know Blazin Trav! I may be sending the server back to Dell if that works out!
    Remember his VPS is Linux or similar.

Perhaps JodoHost.com can help you with management services. Many windows providers can assist.

You don't need a person to physically use the machine, they only need a remote desktop connection and can be a cowboy.

I would recommend sending the server back to Dell, and either rent a server from servermatrix.com and hire a Windows Administrator, or get a Windows VPS.

I don't know why you have chosen MS Windows 2003 specifically, perhaps Dell only sells servers like this. If you are running a php and mysql website and not asp.net, cfm with ms sql, then linux would be optimal.

Then a VPS would be definately more practical.

You're right Giganet,
    Dell pushes the 2003 server software. You can get red hat linux on a per year basis but they "SOLD" me 2003 server. I think I will send it back and look into these suggestions. I just freaked out when we ran out of space on distant host and realized that it was going to be much more costly.
    Thank you so much.
    Bluesy

You're right Giganet,
    Dell pushes the 2003 server software. You can get red hat linux on a per year basis but they "SOLD" me 2003 server. I think I will send it back and look into these suggestions. I just freaked out when we ran out of space on distant host and realized that it was going to be much more costly.
    Thank you so much.
    Bluesy
    I don't want to sound pushy or advertising only isnnetworks, but the $50 reseller account is a great deal. Not only is it not VPS, it's part of the SAVVIS datacenter and is on a Linux server. Definately a good bet I would think. Be sure to search the VPS offer forum for what you are looking for.

-Travis

Got it! I'm on my way there now! Thanks Trav!

Blazin Trav,
    I did get the resellers account that you suggested. I just changed the dns. It pretty much comes set up for one domain right? which is all I need really. I have limited experience with cpanel from another web hosting service but not from a admin's point of view. since I don't plan to sell any of the space the way a host would I don't need to use the WHM panel do I? Just the cpanel like I would if I was buying space from a reseller. The website I had designed will do the work as far as handling the files. It comes with it's own admin panel which I am very familar with. So all I need to do is back up files and use the virus and updating software that comes with cpanel...right?.....Please tell me I'm right! I want to thank you again...all of you... for your input, I think you may have saved me from making a huge mistake!
    Bluesy

Blazin Trav,
    I did get the resellers account that you suggested. I just changed the dns. It pretty much comes set up for one domain right? which is all I need really. I have limited experience with cpanel from another web hosting service but not from a admin's point of view. since I don't plan to sell any of the space the way a host would I don't need to use the WHM panel do I? Just the cpanel like I would if I was buying space from a reseller. The website I had designed will do the work as far as handling the files. It comes with it's own admin panel which I am very familar with. So all I need to do is back up files and use the virus and updating software that comes with cpanel...right?.....Please tell me I'm right! I want to thank you again...all of you... for your input, I think you may have saved me from making a huge mistake!
    Bluesy
    Hi,

I'm glad you bought from ISNnetworks, they respond to support tickets the same day. Cpanel should set up any website that you own. WHM creates new accounts, which you can resell to other people! WHM also shows you your bandwidth use, etc. You don't need WHM unless you want to resell your space to clients. If you need any other help just PM me. As long as your site has the index page and is setup correctly you should have no problems.

If you have any other problems ISN Networks can help you ASAP using trouble ticket:

https://www.isnnetworks.net/helpdesk/

Just submit a ticket and you can respond even through email. Every ticket response from ISN is routed to your email!

-Trav

Blazin Trav,
    This seems like a great move, They do respond quickly, more than enough space and bandwidth! I thank you once again!
    Bluesy