Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

* A horror story with a host

I would ike to share my experience I have had with a host.

Before doing so, I'd like to inquire a little bit about the do's, don'ts, and ettiquite about posting such a topic.

This host has done something that no host should be able to get away with if I can prevent one other person from having a horrible experience like I have, I will feel I have done the community a great service.

Anything I should keep in mind before proceeding?
      0 Not allowed!

As far as I know, just tell the truth and try not to exaggerate.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

You should post your experience if it is accurate.
    Make sure you have moved on from your host and have all of your back ups before saying anything inflammatory.
      0 Not allowed!

As the others have said, post accurate information. If something along the way was your fault, acknowledge it. However, just stick to the truth and you'll be fine. There isn't really much else to say - DO tell the truth and DON'T tell a lie. That's both the do's and don'ts.
      0 Not allowed!

blue27, I wish I had. I am locked out from my files and have been told they have been deleted.

...I'm typing up my story now
      0 Not allowed!

Agreed, make sure you stick to the truth, nothing less. Also remember to stick to the honest truth, not the truth in ones eyes. Its much easier to tell the fiction from fact when it comes to reading events and we've seen numerous people come here and try to tell a "truthfully" story only to be proven a liar by the host reply. Therefore, bottom line is, strick to the truth, nothing but the truth, and only the truth.
      0 Not allowed!

Also, don't use the words "trust me". Explain the situation and not just "trust me".
      0 Not allowed!

well, what I'd really like to do is post the support chat transcript so you can see exactly what happened. This is what got me in trouble to begin with. I was in a forum at one of my good-and-reliable hoster's web site forums and was just discussing my bad experience with the other host.

This bad host saw this (that I told all honestly and openly, exactly what happened) and they said I was violating copywrite laws, since their chat is their "written material".
      0 Not allowed!

I signed up with a host I found in a hosting directory with good ratings. I signed up with a entry level account to try them out, in thoughts of going with one of their reseller accounts.

As time went on, I received an email from them telling me I need to make another payment or they would cancel my account. I was ok with this since I liked their control panel and the tools they provided, and because of this, I wanted to drop the entry level account and go with their reseller account. This all went fine. I got my reseller account. To my knowledge, my basic account was cancelled.

It wasn't long before I needed some support to accomplish some fundamental configuration on items in my account. To make this as concise as possible, here is what I experienced from their support:

I have been told by them I'm not allow to quote them in any way...Any quotes here are paraphrases or the general idea of their communication. I have full chat transcript of most, if not all, of my conersations with them of their exact wording.

• I was told to look at their support pages instead of getting my question answered
    • I asked to be linked to the exact information that pertained to my question
    • I was told "no - go look yourself"
    • I had looked, and asked again where it was
    • I was then told I'd have to send in a ticket to get it done.

This type of thing happened more than once and also seemed like I was dealing with the same tech when contacting them.

One of these situations is when I needed a new web setup. In the past with other hosts I needed to use front page server extensions to create sub webs. After going around and around with the tech on how to get things setup, I think he was actually learning for the first time himself (but that is speculation). Finally I get a chat response on how to do it, but it had a "Mike said: do this....do that, etc.". So it seemed that another tech was telling him what to tell me and he was just pasting in his response.

As I remember this chat had gone on for about an hour, or at least 45 minutes. Again this was a situation where he ended up telling me "just send in a ticket and we'll do it", and I kept persistent because I knew there had to be a way in their control panel or some tool for me to do it since I would be doing it very often and didn't want to rely on them doing things that I had to continually wait on.

During this long chat (in getting front page extensions installed and configurable), I was told to simply open up front page on my computer and turn it on. I asked him if he understood I was talking about SERVER SIDE extensions. Again, he was telling me to open up front page on my workstation. I told him I don't have Microsoft Front Page (part of MS Office) and have no need for it. He exclaimed with a 4 letter word that started with the letter S. Then he asked me why I was pestering him...asking why I have to ask him so many questions.

...crap...i probably need to break this up...this is getting long.
      0 Not allowed!

ok, so the main reason I needed to go with this other hosting company was that I needed lots of little sql server databases and they offered space and bandwidth and you could have as many databases with that space and bandwidth. My current good host only provided me one sql server database, and that was a problem.

As I had learned from dealing with this bad host, in order to have a database setup with me having complete control, I had to create the database in their control panel, then send a ticket in asking for dbo access.

You never knew when they would complete a ticket when you sent in an email. If you got them in chat, they would be right there helping you, but if you needed something done, they would have you send a ticket. After a while and possilbly hours, when you go into the chat and inquire about the status of a ticket, they would say stuff like "yes! I'm actually completing that right now".

One night I had a new client from the UK who wanted an account. He was asking to expedite the account creation as much as I could. One of the steps involved a sql server database. I had everything setup and was waiting for these people to grant dbo access on a ticket. I was also waitin on a similar ticket for dbo access that had been in the queue for hours. I went to their chat and was told "actually, I am just now wrapping that the new db account not the old one) up". The new account was the one I really needed anyway, so I was like "ok, great". An hour goes by and no ticket confirmation. Meanwhile I'm trying this script that keeps getting access denied thinking they did it, but just failed to send me out a confirmation.

I get back in the chat, and posted my ticket number...then its like the tech went to lunch...no response...I'm like "hello, are you there?"...after several minutes I'm thinking something may not be working right in the chat, and closed it.

My new client is now asking me on the status of his new account.
    I open a new chat window. Now, I get no tech response at all. Out of the dozen or so times going on their live chat, they respond in seconds. This time, no one responded. It said that their support staff was busy with other customers.

I waited and waited. I started to think they were like "this guy is getting pushy, so now we're going to move him to the bottom of the list, HA HA". this was speculation at the moment, but was later found to be true...
      0 Not allowed!

Okay, so what is the name of this horrible hosting company?
      0 Not allowed!

Definitely sounds like things got way more complicated than it should have. One of the reasons for the popularity of Control Panels is the ability of Clients to do more things themselves -- much faster for everyone.

Sounds like a private Control Panel is being used/provided that does not allow the freedom most commonly used ones do. Also sounds like this is a Hosting account on a Windows Server. That would greatly limit one's selection of Control Panels but I'm sure by asking around and reading various posts, here and at other Forums, you can get info on a good Hoster and Control Panel.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available
      0 Not allowed!

So, while the chat window with many many lines of "please wait and a representative will be with you soon", I pick up the phone and call. As soon as I get a human on the line and give him a ticket number and give him a little background info, he tells me if the tech said he/she was working on it, they are working on it. Now this was an hour after the tech told me they were doing it right then and that I would get an email in a few minutes.

As I was talking to this person on the phone, the tech suddenly comes on the chat, "how may I help you". I told the tech on the phone, "ok, thanks" since I had the other tech on the chat, which I believe to be the same person.

NOTE: This bad host has told me what I can do which is quote myself, but just not them.... so below when I say "tech", it is a paraphrase and not their exact words. They said if I were to quote them it is a violation of a US copywrite law:

Me: i'm having a hard time getting this issue resolved tonight...I've been in several chats where the operators stop responding... am I not doing somethign right?

Tech: You should be doing this yourself in the control panel

Me: How do I do this?

Tech: We almost didn't fill this ticket for you!!
    Tech: Login to your control panel and read the PDF.

Me: You almost didn't what?

Tech: You should also watch our flash movies
    Tech: (he actuall put this in caps) YOUR TICKETS ARE DONE

Me: well, I had asked someone in the past about this and they told me I had to request a ticket for this and that it wasn't available in the control panel.

Tech: The status of your tickets is closed

Me: Could you refer me to the exact link?

Tech: www.blazernetwork.com/support/

Me: I'm talking about a link to a specific video or article

Tech: no, you go and find it yourself

Me: I get a 404 error on your link

Tech: Its better for someone like you to fill out a ticket than doing it yourself
      0 Not allowed!

>>Okay, so what is the name of this horrible hosting company?

http://www.blazernetwork.com/

http://www.blazernetwork.com/images/topbanner-new.gif

this is only the tip of the iceberg...there is much much more.
    Last edited by DeveloperMCT; 06-15-2005 at 12:21 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

HAHAHAHA OMG this is BlazerNetwork!! ROFL AHHH Leave
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, specify and i don't see much of horror but lame techies, still customer service seamed awfully bad mouthed and used a lot of offensive language or at least you can say they weren't polite.
    CellShade.

Some noob who likes to hang arround here.
      0 Not allowed!

The accusation of violation of US Copyright laws is funny enough.
      0 Not allowed!

The control panel they use is H-Sphere, by the way.
      0 Not allowed!

And it is not copyright to quote them either lol What do you think logs are for? Why do they offer to e-mail them to you at the end? Post them all. I would like to see this one-man company do something. Since they are in Atlanta, maybe I will pay them a surprise visit tomorrow, haha.
      0 Not allowed!

Post complete log, liberty of speach, if you saw a copyright logo after each word they typed, then it's copyright, if not then no lol.
    CellShade.

0 Not allowed!

hmm....ok now I'm thinking about posting it all...

Do you know if I could be sued on this?
      0 Not allowed!

You can't be sued, if the thing on chat, did they put a copyright messege after each type?like This sentence is copyright proteced, if so then don't post it if it didn't then you are free to post.Besides liberty of speech, and wat they did to you to threaten you about chat is black mail.
    CellShade.

0 Not allowed!

For legal advice I highly suggest that you seek out an attorney. Also, for future reference, and your protection, I suggest you never take any legal advice from the members of a forum.

Also I noticed that the "Bad Host" as you call it, has a working support area, the link is:

http://blazernetwork.com/Support/

not

http://blazernetwork.com/support/

It is case sensitive, they really should put in a redirect for their support section...

Best of luck with your future hosting endeavors...
      0 Not allowed!

To what i am concerned, when did he say the host name?
    Also a host with a 3 month expired SSL CERTIFICATE doesn't sound good to me, Otrell The above i mentioned is real, you can't copyprotect words, star wars doesn't copyprotect light saber.
    You can't make words be copyrighted, hence sentence like Got Milk? If so then you are not allowed to post a single word on this forumn as soe persons or host might copyright the words you typed .
    CellShade.

0 Not allowed!

ok...

here we go. I'll let you guys know of the court proceedings if they start.

I am Darren, btw.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    You are now chatting with 'Ilya B'
    Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK3201464052X

Ilya B: Hi how can i help you?

Darren: Dear Darren Neese, We are sorry to notify you of suspending your account: Login: apm825 Account ID: # 205869_0 Plan: Reseller Lite Your account has been suspended because Unpaid balance on second account.

Darren: I need to get this resolved

Ilya B: Your account was suspended for two reasons
    Ilya B: 1. you have an existing account with us which is over 2 months past due

Darren: i was told you guys were going to cancel myu windows lite account and I was ok with that...

Ilya B: we do not have any cancellation request for it

Darren: why wasn't that cancelled when you said you were going to do it

Ilya B: 2. You have violated our tos by posting copyrighted material from our company

Darren: so...because i'm not paying for one, you cancel both accounts?
    Darren: i have production databases on my 2nd account
    Darren: the reseller accoujnt
    Darren: clients

Ilya B: Well as i said even if the other one was paid for at this point or cancelled there is still the second issue of a violation of our tos

Darren: what are you talking about?
    Darren: what violation?

Ilya B: You have posted copyrighted material and internal company information

Darren: i have no idea what you are talking about
    Darren: what are you talking about?

Ilya B: Your post on another company's forum regarding chat conversations within our organization
    Ilya B: All material written by us is copyrighted by us

Darren: within your organization?
    Darren: it was between me and a tech who was cussing at me
    Darren: it wasn't a private meeting in your conference room

Ilya B: Once again anything written by us is copyright by us and cannot be reproduced or posted without our permission
    Ilya B: You are free to post anything you wrote

Darren: i wasn't aware of that

Ilya B: It also violates our Tortious Conduct
    Ilya B: clause

Darren: "rule"
    Darren: your what?

Ilya B: its not a rule its a u.s. law regarding copyright and our copyright notice is on every page of our site
    Ilya B: Heres a copy of the clause from the TOS you agreed to
    Ilya B: Tortious Conduct
    Ilya B: No one shall post defamatory, scandalous, or private information about a person without their consent, intentionally inflicting emotional distress, or violating trademarks, copyrights, or other intellectual property rights.

Darren: ok, so what do you need from me to get things turned back on?

Ilya B: You will need to remove the copyrighted material and show proof of its removal

Darren: how do i show you proof?

Ilya B: 2. fix the billing on your existing account and cancel it if you no longer need it or provide a ticket number in which the cancelation occured
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast