Determining value

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I searched a few times to no avail. Someone is interested in a domain that I have registered but never did anything with. How would I go about determining the value of the domain so I know how much to ask for it? Also, what information do I need to give the buyer once (s)he has paid? Just the auth code so they can initiate a transfer to their registrar?

Again, sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find it. Thanks!

In the end, Chris, the domain is worth what the market is willing to pay for it at any given time. Not much help, huh?

The reality is, you really have to size up what similar domains are selling for (not just their offer price). Plus you need to factor in a "car salesman's sixth sense" for how bad do they want it.

If you think the domain is worth it, you may want to get a professional appraisal from someone like http://www.sedo.com/appraisal.php3?language=us . Sedo has always been straight and honest with me (so far )

An appraisal from a domain professional like them (or someone similar) could very well convince your interested party that they better slap down some heavy cash before someone else gets their coveted domain.

Good Luck!
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Chris Armstrong,

Also make sure it is not appraisal scam. Some people may send you an E-mail stating that they are interested in your domain name and after you reply, they will ask you to purchase an appraisal. You pay the appraisal fee and they never get back to you

That kind of things happen too often these days
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

sedo.com offers domain appraisal for a fee. If you think the domain is good enough to make a pretty penny, put out money to have it appraised.

As stated, a domain is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Getting it 'professionally' appraised is an option but not a great barometer, having it appraised at DNforum and DomainState which is free is a good idea if you need opinions; you might want to sift through some threads over at these communities and see what price ranges for simular domains might work.

Lastly, ask yourself "Will I be developing this domain in the future?" If so, the price should reflect this.

-Scott

Maxo makes a good point here that I forgot about. There is a popular scam running around where you are contacted that a person is interested in your domain but they ask that you have an appraisal done by one of three domain appraisers. Two are legitimate places and the third is where most people go because it is the cheapest.

Of course, after you get the appraisal, you never hear from the interested party again. The third appraisal place is really their subsidiary and they just got you to part with some of your hard earned cash for nothing.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for all the information everyone, it all really was helpful! Reading the e-mail again I'm afraid that it might be one of the appraisal scams. Oh well, thanks again for all the info.