Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ViaTalk

ViaTalk

Has anyone signed up for them yet? My beta phase was finally introduced yesterday so I signed up for the quarterly + linksys router. I ended up getting a $50 coupon, and now they're offering free activation so I should get everything completely free for three months.

Has anyone used the service yet? Is it good? Reliable?

I also signed up but I have not gone back to their site, etc. I keep getting emails - I should read them probably.

I don't even know what they are, probably going to read it sometime :/

What is ViaTalk ?

Originally posted by DecentHost
    What is ViaTalk ?
    Someone was offering on the ad boards to sign people up. I have not figured out if it was / is a scam, or if they are just trying to get people to join so they have collateral

Originally posted by Corey Bryant
    Someone was offering on the ad boards to sign people up. I have not figured out if it was / is a scam, or if they are just trying to get people to join so they have collateral
    I'm quite sure HostRocket isn't offering scams .

It's VoIP telephone service currently in closed beta. Someone on the ad boards was probabaly offering invites, as it worked on the gmail-style system. No more invites can be given out right now, but I can't use mine because they're only accepting people with a US mailing address to sign up.

Unlimited US/Canada calling for 15.95 on a 24 month agreement, 22.95 month-to-month.
    --

Am I the only one who notices the extremely small font sizes on both HostRocket and ViaTalk? I wonder if Ceonex designers are using 4000x2500 resolution settings on their octuple monitor setup.

Originally posted by MStar
    It's VoIP telephone service currently in closed beta. Someone on the ad boards was probabaly offering invites, as it worked on the gmail-style system. No more invites can be given out right now, but I can't use mine because they're only accepting people with a US mailing address to sign up.

Unlimited US/Canada calling for 15.95 on a 24 month agreement, 22.95 month-to-month.
    At those prices I think I'll stick with Packet8.

I've been getting their emails for a while (quite a few this week, alone), and think that I'll finally sign up with their promo offer .

Well can't really try it, as they don't yet support Canadian customers. Oh well.

Originally posted by Surpass Networks
    Well can't really try it, as they don't yet support Canadian customers. Oh well.
    Sorry about that.  Canada is already established as a priority, however, so look for it in the near future.
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service

I'm personally sick of the frequent emails...
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Originally posted by effusionx1
    I'm personally sick of the frequent emails...
    There's an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every message.  We've been giving away things nearly every week so we have to notify members about the contests and explain how everything works. 

If you would like to refrain from participating in future contests for VT_Unlimited members and have trouble with the unsubscribe link, just let me know.

Originally posted by HRTimothy
    Sorry about that.  Canada is already established as a priority, however, so look for it in the near future.
    Sounds great Timothy.
    I can't wait to try it.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Am I the only one who notices the extremely small font sizes on both HostRocket and ViaTalk? I wonder if Ceonex designers are using 4000x2500 resolution settings on their octuple monitor setup.
    http://www.buybankhomes.com/Default....r/Investor.asp

Notice near the upper right section of your screen, the "text" sizer? Pretty cool!

This is a ceonex design btw... figured I'd point out their text thing

I cannot wait to get it, hopefully it's better then Lingo....

All I'd get with lingo were busy signals, I talked to support numerous times and they could never get it working properly. It was very annoying, so after a month of service I dropped them.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    I cannot wait to get it, hopefully it's better then Lingo....

All I'd get with lingo were busy signals, I talked to support numerous times and they could never get it working properly. It was very annoying, so after a month of service I dropped them.
    We've had months and months of very thorough testing so problems like that should be pretty close to non-existant except in very isolated cases.

Believe me, if anyone can find flaws, it would be me.  In the early stages of testing, I was complaining to our project manager for the ViaTalk rollout constantly about every minor detail you could think of.  Complaining is one thing I do very very well.  

Now, everything's ready to roll and as close to flawless as it could possibly be.

Originally posted by HRTimothy
    There's an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every message.  We've been giving away things nearly every week so we have to notify members about the contests and explain how everything works. 

If you would like to refrain from participating in future contests for VT_Unlimited members and have trouble with the unsubscribe link, just let me know.
    Yep, I unsubcribed about a week ago
    I think HostRocket timed the ViaTalk thing very badly...it took too long to launch from service announcement..

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I agree that it took too long from hype to product, but I wish them the best.

Originally posted by effusionx1
    Yep, I unsubcribed about a week ago
    I think HostRocket timed the ViaTalk thing very badly...it took too long to launch from service announcement..

Jord

I'lll admit it was spread out longer than we would have liked, but at least we worked out all the bugs during that time. 

When we ran into some unexpected issues in initial testing beyond what we had planned for timewise, we had to make a decision.  Ultimately, we would rather delay launch a little bit and lose some money/time marketing wise than to launch a service and have it be laced with lots of minor problems.

It did take a while, but we'll eat some cost/marketing effectiveness to preserve quality of the products and services we offer anytime we're faced with that kind of situation.

Originally posted by Mekhu
    http://www.buybankhomes.com/Default....r/Investor.asp

Notice near the upper right section of your screen, the "text" sizer? Pretty cool!
    No.

Originally posted by Mekhu
    This is a ceonex design btw... figured I'd point out their text thing
    Frankly, it's swell that one can click a little button (which, by the way, I don't even see on that site) and increase or decrease the size of the text, but I'm simply wondering why Ceonex chooses their default font sizes in such a way that one with 20/10 vision and 640x480 resolution has to use a microscope to see it.

After looking at it has anyone actually tried the service yet and gotten any idea of call quality?

I wouldn't mind paying more for a better service and considering the company behind it I think it might be worth a shot.

Sooo.. anyone?

I just got my stuff today from Via Talk, it was overnighted (supposedly they are doing this for all customers) I got a little linksys thing that you plug in an ethernet cable into then, your phone then you give it some power and ta-da, you're able to make phone calls.

Lingo's crap actually took some effort to get it going, and even then it didn't work.

I've made two calls so far on the phone, one to my own house to make sure it was working. (I was surprised at how easy it was to get working) Second to my father because he wanted to hear the sound quality once I finally got it.

The sound quality is as good as regular phone service.

I got a phone number in my area code which was nice, although it's not the same second set of three digits (My home is 616-874-xxxx, this is 616-433-xxxx) although this isn't a problem.

They also gave me a T-Shirt, and two $25 off coupons to pass out to friends so they can try this wonderful service.

So far, everything seems to be working perfectly and I'm very happy with the service, but this is only after 2 phone calls so we'll see how it goes. Assuming the quality of service both phone and customer service stays the same, Viatalk/Hostrocket can plan on me being a customer for quite some time.

I just got my stuff today from Via Talk, it was overnighted (supposedly they are doing this for all customers) I got a little linksys thing that you plug in an ethernet cable into then, your phone then you give it some power and ta-da, you're able to make phone calls.
    Yep, it is probably the same model as the one Vonage sent to us.

I've made two calls so far on the phone, one to my own house to make sure it was working. (I was surprised at how easy it was to get working) Second to my father because he wanted to hear the sound quality once I finally got it.

The sound quality is as good as regular phone service.
    The sound quality is only as good as your Internet connection at the time. If you have cable and a lot of people in your neighborhood are using the connection (i.e. weekday nights, weekends), you'll have some packet loss, and, consequently, worse call quality.

I got a phone number in my area code which was nice, although it's not the same second set of three digits (My home is 616-874-xxxx, this is 616-433-xxxx) although this isn't a problem.
    /me tries all roughly 10,000 combinations to call Hosemeyer.

They also gave me a T-Shirt, and two $25 off coupons to pass out to friends so they can try this wonderful service.
    That was a pretty nice deal. I'll take one of 'em.

So far, everything seems to be working perfectly and I'm very happy with the service, but this is only after 2 phone calls so we'll see how it goes. Assuming the quality of service both phone and customer service stays the same, Viatalk/Hostrocket can plan on me being a customer for quite some time.
    Good luck! I wait to hear more about ViaTalk compared to our Vonage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast