Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dinix

Dinix

Well, ever since the big sellout/move at Dinix I cannot say I have been pleased. When the actual move occured, my websites were down for a full two days and I lost alot of income, loss of the search engines spidering my pages, etc and etc. Then my email was screwed up for a week until finally they figured out the problem on the server.

Now for the last tens days I cannot even access the files in my server space for uploads and edits - something wrong with the server. After dozens of support tickets, many not responded to for 24-hrs plus on week days and not at all on the weekend, no fix in sight. The only techie left at Dinix knows there is a problem and after several attempts at a solution it seems he may be ignoring it as much as he can.

It's a shame, Dinix went from A+ to E- in just one day. An incredible way to do business!

The problem is my biggest site is database driven and has about 2-gigs of data. I need some way to back it up and get it onto a more reliable hosting service.

Bottom line: avoid DINIX at all cost!

RFontaine,

Thank you for sharing your experince about Dinix. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. It is terrible ot hear so many stories such as yours on these boards. I would recommending find a new host soon and setting up the your server there so that you can have the DNS information switching process started. There are always plenty of other companies that willing to help. Search the forums here and I am sure you can find some that will suit your needs whatever they may be.

Good Luck

rfontaine,

The minute it comes back online, do a dump of the database and get it as quickly as possible.

Otherwise: Not much you could have done, dinix seemed to be doing so well up until the sale.

As is life, good luck with your next provider (I'd recommend if it's within your budget to just go ahead and rent a server)

Re: Dinix

Originally posted by rfontaine
    ...The only techie left at Dinix...
    Could you elaborate on this please? It was my understanding that WHP had retained the Dinix support staff.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Yeah, your right HP-David, thank you for the advice. I have a VPS with ServInt and have nothing but good things to say about the ServInt team. I am looking into PowerVPS, it seems from the talk around here they may be an excellent place to do business.

rfontaine,

If you're happy with servint I would just stick with them!
    No need to upset your server or anything, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" would apply here.

HP-David, I am glad I did not have all my accounts on DINIX when they sold out and dropped the ball. I was able to move all but my largest website to ServInt quite quickly because it was already set up.

Ideally, I would like to have 3-VPS's all on different hosts. Its the not-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket method.

In answer to your question, the Dinix tech who attempted to fix my server space wrote me that he is the only one left and they are looking to hire more. It makes me think most of them left. It's possible they were getting alot of threats when the move occured and so many websites were offline.

I think it would be a harsh environment to work in - I wouldn't expect there to be a high retention rate on their technicians.. at least the last one remaining is truthful with you (or lying to have an excuse for the response times ).

I agree that you shouldn't keep all your eggs in the same basket but for now Servint has remained around for quite some time and I don't forsee it being sold as they're quite large.

Originally posted by rfontaine
    Yeah, your right HP-David, thank you for the advice. I have a VPS with ServInt and have nothing but good things to say about the ServInt team. I am looking into PowerVPS, it seems from the talk around here they may be an excellent place to do business.
    Both PowerVPS and ServInt in addition to LiquidWeb are respected companies for VPS offerings. ServInt excels in hand-holding support while PowerVPS excels with their blazing fast host nodes and massive network. LiquidWeb is mostly a mix of both; they have an amazing network and seem to score quite high in benchmark tests. Recently, ServInt drastically improved their performance when they moved over to RAID10 host nodes. I currently use ServInt and would recommend them on a dime drop. All 3 providers: PowerVPS, ServInt, and LiquidWeb (in no particular order) are great choices. Best of luck to you with your VPS at ServInt.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

One, no, this is not an isolated incident. Visit the DINIX Forums (http://www.dinix.com/forums/) or search here at WHT and you will find dozens of similar stories. The end result of most of them: "sucks to be you." Good luck, unfortunately...

Two, regarding techs staying/leaving, Web Host Plus's treatment of people and liberal slathering of legal threats against customers, contractors and employees alike is well-documented here at WHT, do a search.

Three, interestingly, I was spammed by Web Host Plus/DINIX today. I cancelled my server with them in mid-March and explicitly told them to remove me from any mailing lists, that I did not want to be contacted again. So what shows up in my inbox today...?

Return-path: <sales@webhostplus.com>
    Envelope-to: ****************
    Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:08:31 -0500
    Received: from **************** by **************** with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.50)
    id 1DiJaB-00083B-Ey
    for ****************; Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:08:31 -0500
    Received: from [64.88.149.164] (helo=whpweb.servernode.net)
    by **************** with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
    (Exim 4.50)
    id 1DiJaB-000837-Aj
    for ****************; Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:08:31 -0500
    Received: from nobody by whpweb.servernode.net with local (Exim 4.44)
    id 1DiJaG-0002Gm-4G; Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:08:36 -0400
    To: ****************
    Subject: WebHostPlus Dinix Summer Specials on Dedicated and VPS services!
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Cc: sales@webhostplus.com
    X-Priority: 3
    X-Mailer: ModernBill
    Content-Language: en
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Message-ID: <ii3hic.1g6jh@www.dinix.com>
    Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:08:36 -0400
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - whpweb.servernode.net
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - ****************
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - webhostplus.com
    Hmmph!

Sorry for all the ****************'s but I have starred them out soas to not be DOS'd by WHP or their robots.

Alive & Well After DINIX
    Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Originally posted by bithost(NET)
    One, no, this is not an isolated incident. Visit the DINIX Forums (http://www.dinix.com/forums/) or search here at WHT and you will find dozens of similar stories. The end result of most of them: "sucks to be you." Good luck, unfortunately...

Two, regarding techs staying/leaving, Web Host Plus's treatment of people and liberal slathering of legal threats against customers, contractors and employees alike is well-documented here at WHT, do a search.

Three, interestingly, I was spammed by Web Host Plus/DINIX today. I cancelled my server with them in mid-March and explicitly told them to remove me from any mailing lists, that I did not want to be contacted again. So what shows up in my inbox today...?

Hmmph!

Sorry for all the ****************'s but I have starred them out soas to not be DOS'd by WHP or their robots.

Alive & Well After DINIX
    Bailey

Im not even a client, nor have I ever been a client, and I recieved their spam today.

I received it as well. But that's a good price for unmetered.
    Tempting but I'll have to stay away.

-Dan.

Dinix Update

Well, doug at Dinix got my ability to SSH back up - but for some reason my email stopped working correctly again as soon as that happened.

AND, my SSH only worked for about 24-hrs and is back down again!

I got a VPS at powerVPS - hope my new server behaves a little better than the one I have at Dinix! Plus there seem to be a few more handy features in the WHM at powerVPS.

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    Looks like things got so bad they restricted their forums to only registered users to even view them now. Great way to do business have a closed to guest forum. Just a slight observation, in any case rfontaine good luck with your new host (whomever you select).

Originally posted by jschurawlow
    Looks like things got so bad they restricted their forums to only registered users to even view them now. Great way to do business have a closed to guest forum. Just a slight observation, in any case rfontaine good luck with your new host (whomever you select).
    It's always been a registration-required forum.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

This morning I closed my Dinix account and am starting to put my site on a VPS at PowerVPS. I have heard good things about PowerVPS.

Sucks though, I lost maybe 2-gigs of database data still sitting somewhere (maybe) on my old Dinix server. Dinix lost me thousands of dollars in revenue, untold hours of frustraion, and time I could have applied to other areas of my business.

Great way to do business have a closed to guest forum.
    It is a bit frustrating for a potential customer, but other hosts do it and personally I see no problem with it. It's for the best even, when many of their customers would prefer to maintain the utmost level of privacy and anonymity.

I am a similiar client who was very very happy with Dinix and very unhappy with the current level of service and support from webhostplus.

My server has now been down for 24 hours, losing a hell of a lot of money and they have not looked at my support tickets yet. Everytime I log in to their support system it says my ticket hasn't even been assigned yet!

Time to start looking for another host... again... Does this happen to all hosting companies eventually. The same thing happened with MCHost.

I had about 1.5 days downtime on my Dinix VPS that finally came back up this evening, but actually when he got round to fixing it, the support guy was polite and efficient. I know this isn't the popular opinion but I'm still not at the point of closing my account, I will continue working with them.

Dinix is horrible, nuff said.

To add to the fray - my server has been down for *days* (I was on vacation when it went down). High Urgency tickets and phone calls have done no good so far.
    Looking for a new Adult content host now.

Terry

bigscanner,

Bummer about your site being down for days. Not a very welcome return from vacation for you I'm sure!

Good luck on finding a new host. May want to check out some of the adult webmaster forums (ie gfy weboverdrive etc.) for adult hosting recos.

Hopefully they will get my sites back up in time for me to do that.
    They just (finally) sent me a reply saying my account was closed because I hadn't paid since February! When my invoices SHOW CLEARLY that I'm completely paid up.
    I have a feeling those site are just gone and I'll have some upset clients on my hands.

STAY AWAY FROM DINIX/WEB HOST PLUS (my opinion based on experience).

(PS - the site linked below is NOT one of my DINIX sites)
    Terry

Originally posted by HP-David
    I agree that you shouldn't keep all your eggs in the same basket but for now Servint has remained around for quite some time and I don't forsee it being sold as they're quite large.
    I'm another Dinix refugee. (Still a customer, but actively planning a migration to a new server.)

The thing with Dinix is that they used to be the best. My VPS flew. Trouble tickets (for a short while) seemed to get answered immediately, even at odd hours. Their tech support folks would go out of their way to help, even when we were probably the ones that broke things. Their bandwidth was amazing. I used to brag to a lot of people about how great things were.

Now it's a lot of downtime (and several complaints) and spam about WHP/Dinix offerings.

There are some hosts that everyone knows are terrible, and some that everyone knows are great. What bugs me about Dinix is that they used to be great.

* fyi

Originally posted by bigscanner
    They just (finally) sent me a reply saying my account was closed because I hadn't paid since February! When my invoices SHOW CLEARLY that I'm completely paid up.[/B]
    3 days later, my fears are confirmed. They screwed up. I'm completely paid up (as always) and they deleted my accounts.
    Just thought I would follow up this thread for anyone searching WEB HOST PLUS or DINIX.

T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast