Passing the link!!!

As you will probably tell... I'm very new at this! Please be patient and DON'T LAUGH

Is there a way to post a link to a file (stored on a shared server) in a private forum and keep that link from being passed on to any other forum or through email?

I have a website but the files I share with my friends are not related to it and they can be rather large, so I don't want to post them there.

My problem is that I want to post the link for the 260 or so members of a particular private forum ONLY and it keeps being emailed and reposted and within 2 days it's been loaded 600 times! Not to mention I keep getting leeched!
    *Wouldn't help to password protect it... they'll just pass that on too!
    *Wouldn't help to send the link in email since I don't know how to tell exactly who the culprits are!
    *Can't enable a #quota since it would be the 'reposters' that probably get to it first!
    *B*tching and complaining and even calmly explaining my **$1900 SERVER BILL** apparently didn't work, either!!!!

Is there any way to disasble transfer of a file once the link leaves a specific place (to email, etc)? The majority of the members are kind-of in the same boat when they've tried to share their files!

It's sad, but unless any of you can come up with a brilliant solution we won't be able to share our files with each other anymore. You're our last-ditch effort! Thanks so much for being here anyway!

Edit your htaccess file to only allow linking from your private forum. It is similar to hotlink prevention. Anyone accessing the files through a link that is not from your private forum site, would be blocked.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!
    How do I find out how to do that?

Will it matter that the forum is not on my own site? Also, I post them in 2 forums. How would I list in the htaccess file the 2 different domains where the links will appear as well as my own website? The examples I've looked up so far only offer protection for content from your own website.

**Most importantly, will this stop leeching as well?**

I am very sorry for being so dense, but I want to make sure I've explained it accurately and that I understand how it would work...

I upload a file to my server in a different directory than my web page content, post a message that includes the link to the file in the 2 different forums (one is a private server forum, the other is a public - but members only- EZboard-type forum) that allows the members to download by 'Right-click & Save-Target-As' and save it to their own hard drive.
    If I do what you're suggesting, would YOU still be able to download the file if a member sent you an email with the copied link?

Please talk to me like I'm stupid... I am very much a beginner and need some direction as to where to learn all this stuff in simple, IDIOT terms! Know a good link?