Arrow News/Opinion :: MUST read/listen ~ "Prostitution, behind the veil." Present day Iran.

Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Evening WHTers

I came across this at about a quarter to two this morning, and i'm fortunate that i did, in the sense that i am no longer ignorant of such things. I feel that it is something you also should have the opportunity to read about and listen to.

Click this link and forwrad the audio file from yesterday's programme to 26mins 24secs and listen till the end :: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/me..._mon_au_nb.ram

It is an interview from the BBC World Service. Iranian film-maker Nahid Persson talks about her award-winning documentary, which follows the lives of Fariba and Mina, two Iranian prostitutes who are also heroin addicts.

For more written detail on the documentary, see this article from the CBC website....

Prostitution Behind the Veil explores a side of Iran rarely seen or talked about. For over a year, director Nahid Persson filmed the everyday lives of two young female prostitutes as they eked out a living in a country where the profession is banned. The filmmaker often took great risks to follow Minna and Fariba as they sought out customers-men who would often marry them briefly, so as not to violate the laws of the Koran by having extramarital sex. The two women are good friends and neighbours, who have experienced the widespread mistreatment of women and the double standards that permeate Iranian society today.
    Fof full article :: http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/behindtheveil.html

I don't know if any of the Canadians here saw it when it was on and could offer their views but i will be looking out for it here in Britain from now on.

I have only heard the clip from that interview but that tells enough of a story in itself. Such conditions....

REMEMBER

Click this link and forwrad the audio file from yesterday's programme to 26mins 24secs and listen till the end :: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/me..._mon_au_nb.ram

It's only ten minutes or so i think, make time if you can. Listen to the whole programme if you wish, it's all interesting.

Thanks

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-14-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Sounds like a documentary I would be interested in. Unfortunately I can't listen to the audio right now, but I saved the link and going to check it out later tonight. I have a seen a documentary that aired earlier this year on HBO called "Dopesicklove" about the lives of two heroin / crack addicted couples in NYC, basically about their daily routines and what they do everyday to get their fix.

If you can't listen to the interview today, it will available at that address until at least midnight GMT this coming Sunday.

sean-price, id be interested to hear your thoughts on the film once you've ehard the BBC WS interview. How could the religious or institutional side of things be tackled for instance? That's gonna be tricky under the circumstances.

For those among you who after listening to that and maybe doing further reading wish to act personally in some way, you might be interested in the "Strong Women for Strong Women" campaign launched by UNICEF New Zealand :: http://www.unicef.org.nz/showarticle...sbid=4&ArtID=5

I first heard about it late last year and hopefully it will be able to make some progress in the area and be a success, possibly even touch the lieves of thseo featured in the Iranian based documentary I donate money to the campaign but would like to do more in the future if possible. It's just finding the right way to go about it i guess, and turning talk into something "more".

SOme people on here and i myself have spoken about nuclear technology in Iran and the resposne of "Western" nations to it, it should also be to the benefit of all if we looked at "people" issues such as these on the same stage. There of course clashes of cultrue invovled but that doesn't cover everything.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-14-2005 at 05:56 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info