Hybrid View

PHP MySQL performance related question

If I run PHP MySQL on a Windows based server what kind of performance hit I would take compared to running it on a Linux server? The reason I want to use a Windows server is I would like to play around with ASP, not for practical purposes, but just for "fun"(educational purposes).

I don't imagine it would be any slower. I think the reason people use Linux is for stability and safety purposes, Linux is theoretically less hackable.

Re: PHP MySQL performance related question

Originally posted by JustAddWater
    If I run PHP MySQL on a Windows based server what kind of performance hit I would take compared to running it on a Linux server? The reason I want to use a Windows server is I would like to play around with ASP, not for practical purposes, but just for "fun"(educational purposes).
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't "hackablity" mostly be related to the quality of server management?

Yes, it is.

PHP and MySQL are significantly more tested on the Linux/Unix platforms, so you usually get more features and stability there. They may perform better there, too, but not dramatically so.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Don't forget to factor in the number of script kiddies who target Windows boxes. Valiantly struggling against the evil Microsoft from their WinXP computers.
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.