Debian Stable = Cpanel in beta? What?

From ISN Networks support:

Thank you for your order with ISN Networks, I have created an invoice for you, once paid your server order will progress to the next stage, which is deployment. The deployment process, usually takes up to 96 hours. Also please note that debian is currently in the BETA stage with cpanel, and is not recommended, would you still like to go ahead with this, or choose another operating system?

They don't list Fedora Core 3 or 4... what's the deal with these guys? They only support outdated versions of OSes?

Why would Cpanel be beta with Debian? Can anyone help me pick an OS?

They list:
    CentOS 3.3
    CentOS 3.4
    NETBSD 1.6.X
    Fedora Core 1
    FreeBSD 4.X
    FreeBSD 5.X
    FreeBSD 5.3
    Debian Stable
    NETBSD 2.X
    Redhat 9
    OPENBSD 3.6
    Redhat Enterprise Server 3 (BUT it is additional $27 a month!!)
    Debian Sarge

Go with centos or FC probably.

When I used cpanel on fbsd i constantly had to fix things by mucking around in the source for the utils. I'd imagine you would hit the same problems with Debian.

CentOS 3.3 or higher.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by HP-David
    CentOS 3.3 or higher.
    I'll go with CentOS 3.4 in that case, thanks.

EDIT: I submitted a response to the support ticket. Hopefully this all goes through soon, it says it takes 24-96 hours for the server to come online.

-Trav

Re: Debian Stable = Cpanel in beta? What?

Originally posted by Blazin Trav

They don't list Fedora Core 3 or 4... what's the deal with these guys? They only support outdated versions of OSes?

Why would Cpanel be beta with Debian? Can anyone help me pick an OS?

Actually, they appear to support what cpanel says it will run on (from http://cpanel.net)

It is not your provider calling Debian + cpanel = BETA, it is cpanel
    Dan - Vice President - [email protected]
    BurstNET Technologies - http://www.burst.net

I went with FreeBSD 5.X

good luck, if you read the forums you'll see they've always treated fbsd as a second class citizen and dont really care about fixing issues.

better bookmark the forums, you'll probably be hitting them quite often to find workarounds.

Originally posted by mkc
    good luck, if you read the forums you'll see they've always treated fbsd as a second class citizen and dont really care about fixing issues.

better bookmark the forums, you'll probably be hitting them quite often to find workarounds.
    I changed my order to CentOS 3.4. My provider advised me to do so, he said FreeBSD would be buggy. So I changed my OS.

-Trav

Did you ever apologize to ISN for starting this thread since they actually were right and a little searching on the cpanel site would have shown you that or when you said "these guys" did you mean cpanel?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    Did you ever apologize to ISN for starting this thread since they actually were right and a little searching on the cpanel site would have shown you that or when you said "these guys" did you mean cpanel?
    I didn't accuse them of anything. I was asking with help picking an OS. What are you talking about? I said "these guys" ... so? They offered outdated versions of OSes, while all other dedicated hosts offer the latest versions, just seemed a bit odd. I'm sorry for saying "these guys," I didn't consider it offensive.

Ok .. I guess the fact that you neglected to see that its the software taht doesnt support that and anyone who is telling you that its a good thing to do is either a) full of it or b) the bestest cpanel dude / dudette ever!

Sorry but coming here to post saying they don't know what they are doing is incorrect. Its because they want you to be stable. Whats the point of giving you the latest software if it doesnt work?

Thats all I mean. I don't think ISN is doing anything wrong.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Originally posted by Sigmaservers
    Ok .. I guess the fact that you neglected to see that its the software taht doesnt support that and anyone who is telling you that its a good thing to do is either a) full of it or b) the bestest cpanel dude / dudette ever!

Sorry but coming here to post saying they don't know what they are doing is incorrect. Its because they want you to be stable. Whats the point of giving you the latest software if it doesnt work?

Thats all I mean. I don't think ISN is doing anything wrong.
    Let me correct myself. I wasn't saying they did anything wrong. I made a post to advise what OS to pick, since Cpanel is in beta for Debian, which I didn't know at the time. Their support is great and I have no issues.

You however are accusing me of assuming they don' t know what they are doing, which is not the case.

I understand your concern but I simply needed advice on what OS to pick.

Thanks.