Securing my new server

Hi,

I just got my server from theplanet last month. I dont know a lot about server security. Can someone tell me how do I check for DDOS attacks? I'm taking a new client whose site was just attacked. So he is moving to my server. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

What OS is installed? This information would be more helpful so we can let you know whats best to install.
    -- Matthew

The OS is Linux red hat ver 3

Thanks

Search for " A Beginner's Guide to Securing Your Server"
    on forum dot cPanel dot net

Originally posted by djyeo
    The OS is Linux red hat ver 3

Thanks
    I'll assume that is Red Hat Enterprise 3? If you don't know how to run commands and such I'd have to say buying the server was not a good idea.

You can always outsource your server management to a company. Though it might cost some money, at least it will ensure that your server and clients are safe from DDOS and other kind of attacks.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    The best solution for me at this point, I think would be to outsource.

Cheers

Re: Securing my new server

Originally posted by djyeo
    Hi,

I just got my server from theplanet last month. I dont know a lot about server security. Can someone tell me how do I check for DDOS attacks? I'm taking a new client whose site was just attacked. So he is moving to my server. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
    Just a heads up, if you didn't know the commands you might have been better off with some sort of managed server solution.

I'm sure you could find someone who could do it for you for not that much money, as you said.

Good luck!