* ::Huge Number of Visitors ::

hello ...

im expecting to have over 15.000 visitors to my site in less than one houre , i will have only tow php pages, one the visitor can make his search for his high school grades, and the second to display the results and the script is connected to a about 50mb mysql database.

i have never delt with such a big number of visitors, please tell me what the best plan to do.

1-should i just get a hosting acount with high bandwidth
    2-tow hosting acounts so if one down the second work
    3-dedicated server?

thanx

Well first don't jump straight onto a dedicated if this is only one hour of such traffic. Will this traffic and activity continue or is it only a one time thing? That's the first question you need to figure out

Hope this helps.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Hello,

Wow!!! thats some vistors.

I'd recommend (because your using such a high value of bandwidth & disk space). Buy a dedicated server I think this would be the best option for you.

I totally understand aswell what "RefreshNet" is on about.

Regards
    NetworksDirect

What should you do?

Put some AdWords on that puppy
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Instead of buying a dedicated server just to serve this one hour, you can try to find someone with a dedicated server who will rent you out the needed resources for a few hours at a fraction of a cost.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Some smaller datacenters will work with you on things like this. Providing a server for a certain amount of time at high bandwidth.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

RefreshNet>

i want my site to keep working 100% perfect specially in the first houres of announcing the students grades as theres other competitor site, and i really care for the first houre of as over 60.000 students will start entering my site at the same time, the next day there will be much just a few hundreds of visitors-i can handle them .... but it will be really bad to have my site down when students rush to get their grades .

could anybody give me an offer for a suitable dedicated for 1day+guarantee that my visitors to my site will not have any delay that day?

any suggestions

Right, I have the perfect company for you.

www.JSHosting.co.uk are very good at working with special situations like this

I hope this helps

Regards,

NetworksDirect

im expecting to have over 15.000 visitors to my site in less than one houre
    I am not sure why you did not plan for this ahead of time.

But, given your time constraint, I can only recommend you to start praying and hope that everything will go fine

dcabbar

i will have those people coming to my site at 15-62005 10am

What you can do is contact companies regarding a semi-dedicated solution. Basically what this is, is when they put you and a few other people on a server that have higher traffic sites and share the resources. So for a company that has 250 clients on a server, you would be on a server with about 20. See where I'm going?

If you plan on using that many resources consistently than a semi-dedicated solution would be the best if you don't want to go fully dedicated.

Hope this helps.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Huh,

My bad! Sorry for the misunderstanding, kind of tired here

Another solution would be to get DNS load balancing among cheap hosting accounts. Just get cheap hosting accounts from multiple companies for 1 month each, replicate all information on all these and use dns load balancing between these... It will probably cost you something like $60-100 to get 6-7 of these...

The problem with your case is that, the load might not be uniformly distributed. What I mean is, it won't be like 4-5 users/sec (15000/3600 = ~4). And, there might be peak concurrency. I think one server can carry around 100-200 concurrent users if mysql is involved too, and when more than this many people hit your server, even if you get a dedicated machine, that might choke...

Just a suggestion...

dcabbar

thanx for your post, i think you are right, i start thinking of having 10 hosting acounts and to make a php script that test users session and send the new visitor to the less opened sessions hosting acount

do you encourage me??
    i have no idea about DNS load balancing

to make a php script that test users session and send the new visitor to the less opened sessions hosting acount
    I don't think this will work, because that script will be the bottleneck, and it will choke

DNS Load balancing does not solve all the problem in a sophisticated way, but at least it is a better approximation than having a single server...

What you do is to enter multiple A records each of which points to a different hosting account, and the client will pick one of them randomly... So, since every client will be doing this randomly/independently, it is possible that selected IPs will clash a lot.

Also, I am not sure how this will work with shared hosting, since you will need to provide an IP there, but I think if you specify the IP of the shared host, it might work.

I found this on google for more info:
    http://content.websitegear.com/artic...alance_dns.htm

Please let me know how this works, since I really am interested in this solution

If this is a one time thing, maybe your current provider will be willing to put your site on an empty server for a short while (if they have one available, laying around)...

Just an idea, but worth a shot IMO...

damn, i wish my site got that kind of traffic.

Try searching the forums here for places that offer not a lot of space but a lot of bandwidth instead.

Originally posted by thewidow
    damn, i wish my site got that kind of traffic.
    Found a university, get 60,000 students in, build a web site and in no time you'll be there.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

hi guys ...

what is the best why to invest all of those visitors?
    any ads company that you suggest.

thanx

Originally posted by AntiSpamHosts
    Put some AdWords on that puppy
    What he said, Google AdWords

Originally posted by host4php.com
    hi guys ...

what is the best why to invest all of those visitors?
    any ads company that you suggest.

thanx
    Google ads, at least $100 a month. Buy a server for your campus, I'm sure you can find part of the tuition or something to pay for one. Just get an unmetered 10mbps port, or even a 100mbps port and you're good to go.

If you are an IT person for your university, your university should be getting some form of grants for internet connections, so you could get a couple T1's right to your campus, then you can host the site on campus. Then you don't have to worry about bandwidth costs since the students will be accessing it over the local network on campus.

If you actually require hosting, I'm not sure you need a dedicated, or even semi dedicated. I've had sites peak with similar usage and had no problems on a shared account. But then again, the shared server was not oversold like many hosts do.

As long as your site is small (in size) meaning focus on CSS rather than images, and the php script is optimized. You would be fine on a shared host. I'd recommend an H-Sphere host that has a dedicated mysql server, that way your database wont tax other users on the server, and you'll get improved performance.