Arrow Need Advice: Internet via satellite

Hey folks,

Ok, I need some advice. Currently where I live only dial-up is available, and they have no idea when Iíll be able to get ADSL Ė the mayor has contacted the telephone company (France Telecom) multiple times, although no one has any idea.

Itís been like this for three years now, and to be honest Iím getting a bit tired of the same old story, so have decided now to really look into ADSL via satellite. It really is my only option at the moment.

The ADSL via satellite would be: upload via dial-up, and download via satellite. So upload wouldnít be any faster, although hopefully download will be considerably faster.

The company Iíd probably go with would be ASTRAnet. Iíd rather go with them rather than through a 3rd party company; and their prices arenít too bad either Ė in total for 1024kbps itíd cost me Ä76.95 per month on a yearly contract.

The reasons Iím looking into it is firstly so that downloading will be faster (itís impossible to download Linux distributions with dial-up; and even download other smaller (but large) files can take an awful amount of time), but also so that multiple computers in the house will be able to connect to the internet at the same time.

Iíve heard that weather can be a problem Ö thankfully where I live in France it is pretty sunny most of the year, and only in October, November and December are there any problems with the weather (they are the rainy months) Ė although Iíve no problems watching TV via satellite in those months.

So basically what Iíd like is advice on whether I should go for it or not. The price isnít a problem, as I wouldnít be considering it if it were, and also unfortunately Iím unable to get both upload and download via satellite so please donít recommend that since itís just not a possibility.

Has anyone here used ADSL via satellite with upload via dial-up and download via satellite? What were your thoughts on it? Was it worth it? Did you notice much if any difference? Would you recommend it?

Thanks all. Any replies are very much appreciated.

I used to use an Astranet reseller in the UK with ISDN for upload and it was ok. All your things are proxied via local http proxy that connects to Astranets stuff. I could hold 1-2mbit download without major trouble and still have low latency over the SSH.

Adsl is better but as an alternative Satellite is good as well

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Thanks for your reply Rus, very much appreciated.
    And can I ask, if say it was raining, how was the speed? Ė Iíve heard from some people that it is pointless because unless the sky is 100% clear, dial-up would be just as good.