Linux HTPC (Media Center)

Gday all,

Have been using windows XP as our media center at home (with some minor customisations to make it actually work ) Anyways, was wanting to make a move to make it Linux. Any suggestions ? Is there any Linux flavours out there that are more suitable for this ?

I'm running the following hardware in it:

Dvico DVB-T Plus
    ATI Radon 9800 Pro 256mb
    Sound Blaster Audiogy 2
    Gigabyte network (Intell Pro 100/1000)
    Sony DVDRW DL

I'm wanting an OS / solution that would allow me to watch my Digital Tv and record Also wondering if there is anything out there to help my girlfriend and I sync our ipods in linux.

Cheers

Chris

Unfortunately, Linux isn't quite ready for this yet. While there are capture programs out there for linux, and programs that will act as go betweens for your PC and iPod (all can be found by using www.freshmeat.net), you're always going to run into issues here, in one form or another, beit hardware, software, you name it, it'll cause problems.

Linux has made some excellent strides over the years for home setups, but it's just flat out not ready for it. This isn't the fault of Linux itself, rather the competition (Windows), encouraging individuals to program in an environment that is Windows friendly only. An example of this would be numerous "cd protection" devices that are found on games (some are worked through using cedega, but not all), window shading and transparency, which are only available to Windows users (wine can't reproduce yet, nor can many others), which cause a problem with numerous applications in that respect, dvd software (though Nero will be releasing Linux versions soon it looks like), and a ton more.

If you're looking for a "media center", then stick with Xp on it, it's your best bet. If you want a server, then it's always going to be Linux, 100%. Unfortunately, Windows has the home market pretty well cornered , and has for quite some time. Monopoly? Yes, but they'll do everything to deny it ;(
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

try mediaportal, or freevo i cant remember which is linux but they work well

I don't know what the first piece of hardware in you list is but I can't somment on it, but my neighbour has a similar setup that he uses as a DVR and digital music server running under Linux. I never bothered with the details as it was not an option that interested me bu I can inquire.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Dvico DVB-T Plus - digital tv tuner card

Thanks NWSTech - I'm checking out those now

Chris

Re: Linux HTPC (Media Center)

Originally posted by obviousl
    [B]Gday all,

Have been using windows XP as our media center at home (with some minor customisations to make it actually work ) Anyways, was wanting to make a move to make it Linux. Any suggestions ? Is there any Linux flavours out there that are more suitable for this ?
    MythTV is tops.

I'm running the following hardware in it:
    Dvico DVB-T Plus
    ATI Radon 9800 Pro 256mb
    Sound Blaster Audiogy 2
    Gigabyte network (Intell Pro 100/1000)
    Sony DVDRW DL
    The only issue will be the Dvico card. Lucky for you I have the EXACT same model. Chris Pascoe from the University of Queensland has actually written drivers for it too: http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chrisp/Linux-DVB/DVICO/

I'm wanting an OS / solution that would allow me to watch my Digital Tv and record Also wondering if there is anything out there to help my girlfriend and I sync our ipods in linux.
    MythTV will let you do that.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/syncpod/

That looks about right.

Hope that helps,

Stuart Low
    Seekbrain.com - Personal Blog
    E-Currency Australia - Crypto Currency Services

Thanks heaps Stuart.
    I am thinking I might go with Debian (my first time), and try all this out. Will write back with how it all went and with what I ended up using.

Stuart - Does mythtv allow you to go to the composite input on the DTV-B ? I have my ps2 plugged into this and am wanting to continue playing it

Thanks heaps all,

Chris

Originally posted by obviousl
    Thanks heaps Stuart.
    Glad to be of assistance.

Stuart - Does mythtv allow you to go to the composite input on the DTV-B ? I have my ps2 plugged into this and am wanting to continue playing it
    MMM, not sure to be honest. I can't tell you either because my MythTV machine was sacrificed for my development with Linux clusters (OpenSSI, OpenMosix etc.). I'd say worse case scenario will be that you'll have to go and grab one of those 2 way video switches. I think there only about AU$30 or so.

EDIT: Just reread your query. MythTV does but I'm not sure about whether the DVICO driver supports it.

Stuart
    Seekbrain.com - Personal Blog
    E-Currency Australia - Crypto Currency Services