Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What sort of mobile office tools to you use?

I'm curious about the kinds of wireless devices people running hosting business are using to set up the "mobile office." I've seen a lot of people using blackberries, but I'd like to know what else is making it easy for people to keep doing business away from the office.

Any particular laptops, PDAs, smart phones or other cool peripherals people are finding essential to staying connected?

There's a lot out there. I'd like to know what people are gravitating towards.

Thanks,

Liam

I just...can't afford a Treo 650 yet but I'm itching to get one anyhow. I need one that's unlocked so I can use it on both the US and Indian networks. Either that or a BlackBerry because either one of them would be unbelievably useful.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

I've had a BlackBerry for a months now and I absolutely love it! It works quite well and the features are pretty good as well. You can't wrong with it.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I have a Dell laptop which I can go online with pretty much anywhere through my cell phone. I also have a Dell Axim. I will have a Samsung i730 within the next week or so, which I am very excited about. That will replace my Dell Axim and the need for me to lug my laptop around all of the time.

Oh - I should mention that I *do* have a Fujitsu P5020 notebook and this thing rocks. Looking for a laptop - go Fujitsu for style and durability.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

i currently have a LG 6190 ... http://www.cellphones.ca/cell-phones...fications/239/

It's pretty cheap. I can't go to ssh or cpanel with it... But i'm able to write mail as fast as it will take on a laptop... It's very important
    Also, i'm able with not-so-much trouble to access clientexec...

I will set up a wap gateway on my server so i'll not be limited with telus web access...

For my laptop, i have a vaio pcg-k23q who was cheap too ... that i can use with my cell phone cable if i can't access wi-fi ...

I'm not very well equiped... but it's good for the time i can't access the net which is not very long during a week day...

I use my treo 600, the best phone/pda I've ever used

I love it

Second nod to the Treo 600. No need to always be on the laptop... Which is a Dell Inspiron 9200, I couldn't resist the 17" screen.
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

Treo 600 gave me back my life. Before the Treo I couldnt spend more than 3 hours away from my PC before starting to worry that something may go wrong and I might not be there to fix it. Now I can feel comfortable leaving my office/home office for extended periods.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

I use a Qtek 9090 with putty installed, it does the work...

Cell Phone: Samsung a670, I love it, never had a phone with better reception.
    PDA: HP iPAQ

I don't have much need for anything else. I'm either at home, or at the office, and with my office line forwarded to my cell phone when I'm out, and my iPaq having 802.11 built in, I'm fine. Most places I go have wi-fi available, and I'm working with a startup wireless company here in Duluth, so I should be able to get internet with my ipaq anywhere in the city.

I've got a 600. Would like to get a 650, but I'll probably wait until the next generation. The 600 still works fine.

I had thought about looking into a Blackberry for e-mail. But a Treo 600 with Chatter gets you push technology similar to a BB. Get e-mails almost instantly, and runs in the background.

That, combined with the gig mp3 player I use it as, SSH, and a good webbrowser, with the built in calendar, memo pad and to-do list, with the ability to open, edit and save office documents (documentstogo) make it almost indispensible.

I'm using a T-Mobile sidekick II. It's kinda lacking when it comes to reliability (i.e.: web pages don't load all the time) but my plan is very cheap ($40/month) and it handles email rather well. It also has a SSH client, which has come in handy a couple of times, but like the web browser the performance is kinda spotty. If T-Mobile/Danger could only improve the reliability of this thing then I would give it my highest recomendation. Until then, I will say give it a try if you're looking for a cheap solution.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

I am using the sidekick I.
    Is it worth the upgrade to sidekick II?
    And yes, they arn't 100 percent reliable yet. I get a lot of network connection problems even when my signal is high.

I have an iPaq - mainly just for storing my passwords etc. But it came with Tomtom and a GPS thingy so I find it very useful for getting around too

Is it worth the upgrade to sidekick II?
    I only got my SK II because the power plug on my SK I broke. There are some nice changes in the SK II, such as: a slimmer profile, color screen, speaker phone, and a better camera. I wouldn't say those features justify upgrading.

And yes, they arn't 100 percent reliable yet. I get a lot of network connection problems even when my signal is high.
    I really hope they fix this because I really like the device and the features it has. If not I'll probably have to reconsider my mobile tool in a year or so for something faster / more reliable. Unfortunately there's nothing else I know of in the $50/month range.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

I use a Dell Axim x50 pda and a Motorola Razr v3 cell phone. The cell phone supports bluetooth so I can connect my pda to it when I need to go online.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

I use Nokia Communicator. I have also HP iPaq and Dell laptop, but don't really need them as Communicator does everything I need.
    Mastodon for Business - Business-friendly Mastodon instance
    China Business Forum - Community for SMEs and start-ups interested on doing business in China

Treo 600 and Toshiba laptop
    Vintage Host Optimization -- Want security? We've got your security right here.

I used to use a Treo 300 with Sprint, was great, I could check and send email, login via SSH to the server to admin and they keyboard wasn't too bad.... I love it, sounded really good too and only thing that sucked was I dropped it after a year and a half of use and the top fell off. A great little device, RIP.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Nokia 6800 for the phone aspect. Then for mobile computing, I've got an iBook.

15" Apple Powerbook

Everything i need in a sleek sexy light aluminium case.

My trusty Ipaq 5555, love the built in WiFi
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

For the Sidekick/Hiptop users, can you control MB and Cerberus from your devices? Any comments?
    HOST78 - Affordable and Reliable Canadian Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    TRY RISK FREE with our 15 day money back guarantee

I have a Toshiba Tecra M4 tablet pc that I just got and use as my mobile office tools. It's great really, I can get online at a bunch of WIFI hotspots in the city or from the comfort of my living room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast