Question Zoneedit's customer service slow/unresponsive; dump them?

I have been using Zoneedit's DNS for almost all my websites and have no complaints about reliability, features or ease of use. However some problems require human intervention and there, their responsiveness is close to zero.

They take 3-5 days to answer support questions; and some questions remain totally ignored.

My questions were all important and relevant: their filters blocking legitimate email, or their system refusing to create a new zone for one of my domains.

After some research, I have found www.dnspark.com , and their offer is quite similar to Zoneedit's. They also offer the possibility of making TXT records, filter emails, redirect domains etc. A test question to their customer service was answered in 4 hours. Their opinion seems to be good.

What would you do? Dump Zoneedit because of their lazy customer service, despite of their reliability otherwise? Or is it a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"?

Hi there,

Well, I think it would depend entirely on the problem. I see there are a few issues that need looking into. It would also depend on how hard it would be to switch between the two services, would it be worth all that hassle?

I agree with the 'If it ain't broken, don't fix it'. Just depends how much hassle you're getting. If the problems are prolonged and consistant, then I would switch. Partly because of their ignorance and lack of customer care and partly because I want my DNS to work!

But yeah, if you would get along better with the other service, go for it but if you can manage ok, you might want to save yourself the trouble of switching.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,
    Matt
    Matt Midgley
    ----------------
    http://matt.midgley.name

Are you paying them for DNS services? If you are using their free service, I would think you can't really complain. I use to use them to point domains about five years ago and they were great for the price (nothing).

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

I am a paying customer as I have 15+ domains with them.
    Last edited by kiwipole; 06-13-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Ouch - then, I'd think about another provider. Apologies for my assumption.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

dnsmadeeasy.com is a good option to consider if you are looking to dump ZoneEdit. I switched from ZoneEdit to Dnsmadeeasy about a year ago and never regretted - they have been excellent in terms of reliability and customer support.

Hi, I've never had a problem with 1and1.com

-Trav

Blazin Trav,

Interesting - I don't see where they offer DNS hosting.

mark,

I would highly recommend running - you can't have your DNS hosted at some location thats unresponsive.

What if it did go down, sure service is "flawless" but if the support team isn't behind it.. theres no telling how many days it could take to resolve the issue when it does finally keel over.

Run, run, run.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Unhappy

Originally posted by Harmolodic
    dnsmadeeasy.com is a good option to consider if you are looking to dump ZoneEdit. I switched from ZoneEdit to Dnsmadeeasy about a year ago and never regretted - they have been excellent in terms of reliability and customer support.
    I also have an account with dnsmadeeasy.com, but

1) You need to pay extra for http redirection

2) They don't seem to offer mail filters allowing to redirect i.e. [email protected] to one address and [email protected] to another one.
    Originally posted by HP-David
    I would highly recommend running - you can't have your DNS hosted at some location thats unresponsive.
    Yeah, I think I have no other choice than to progressively leave Zoneedit

mark,

One thing you could try to do is submit an 'urgent' ticket, or something that looks urgent.

I've had a few server providers whom would respond very slowly if I just submitted a regular ticket (3 hours) about some random question or something, but if I submitted something with "server currently down" I would receive a response in less than two minutes.

Try something similar, you may notice them pick up speed quite fast (and for 'less nonurgent issues' they may just take their dandy little time).

It at least gives you one final option or something to consider if they get back to you instantly.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

1) This really depends on what membership you sign up with. If you sign up with their lowest membership ($5 per year) then you will have to pay extra for HTTP Redirection. If you get the Premium Membership (50 domains for $29.95) and that includes HTTP Redirection.

You mentioned you had 15+ domains so you would just want the Premium Membership anyway.

2) Yes they do offer the mail forwarding services, but that is not included in the DNS pricing (for pennies a year per domain, it's hard to expect them to include that).
    Sitelutions: www.sitelutions.com -- Reliable Hosting, Low-Cost Domains, Dynamic DNS
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.: www.inforelay.com
    Bulk Bandwidth Pricing, Unmetered Servers, Unbelievable Affordability -- Locations in: Ashburn, Los Angeles, Chicago, Reston, San Jose, Dallas, New York, Washington, DC.

Rusty500, thanks for pointing out the facilities of dnsmadeasy.com. I will look them over again. Maybe a good, safe solution would be to split my domains across dnsmadeasy.com and dnspark.com (which looks very serious to me as well).

HP-David, you wrote regarding Zoneedit:
    One thing you could try to do is submit an 'urgent' ticket, or something that looks urgent.
    Well, they don't have a ticket system, and they only mention a support email address (well hidden), so I could only send emails. Their support system is probably OK for the free accounts; but with being a paying customer, I was expecting better than that.

I would also advise

xname.org

and

everydns.net

They are free. Donating is possible; services are rather straightforward and clear. I have never contacted the support, since there was no need.

masterbo, thanks for the tip. I think everydns.net does not allow TXT records - a major problem for me since I use DNS services among others to publish my SPF records. As for xname.org, I am always a bit nervous about companies that do not spell-check their homepage: Commerial Usage etc...

I really prefer to pay a reasonable fee, and have decent support if needed.

Originally posted by markwolk
    masterbo, thanks for the tip. I think everydns.net does not allow TXT records - a major problem for me since I use DNS services among others to publish my SPF records. As for xname.org, I am always a bit nervous about companies that do not spell-check their homepage: Commerial Usage etc...

I really prefer to pay a reasonable fee, and have decent support if needed.
    Spell checks are becoming rarae aves nowadays; I bet I could find some even on well-known companies' sites.

Anyway, if you manage to find decent and inexpensive (compared to, say, UltraDNS) service, leave here a note please.