Major problems at OLM ... anyone else getting screwed?

The company I work with went with OLM for Web hosting and e-mail hosting based on my recommendation. In my experience with this company (7+ years), they've been very good, with only a half-hour of downtime that I noticed.

However, we have been HOSED by some major problems they had on their server farm on Friday morning (6/11/2005). It took them 8+ hours to get our Web site back online, and our e-mail and FTP are still down (over 76 hours later ... it's Monday afternoon now).

Calling on the phone to tech support has yielded insatisfactory results in that they have been unable to give me a solid ETA on when our e-mail will return. They have been telling me "just another half hour" since Friday morning. I recommended OLM for a solution provider for my company, and I'm now starting to really regret it.

One discrepancy I noticed is that OLM guarantees a 99.9% uptime as part of their service description and notes that they maintain dual redundant data centers so that if servers go offline, the other data center can pick up the traffic. But this hasn't happened for our site ... and tech support couldn't give me a reason why the problems weren't routed to the other data center. Is OLM's redundancy just a lie?

Meanwhile, I have every employee, from the CEO to the office assistant, asking me when e-mail will return. I have learned not to pass along what OLM tells me to the staff, because it's just not accurate.

These problems are apparently not affecting all of OLM's sites, as I know of other sites hosted by OLM that are up and running. Has anyone else here been getting screwed over by this situation?

I hosted with OLM but it's been a couple years ago, never really noticed any problems. Sorry to hear about your down time though, especially in light of the "no info" from OLM on the situation.

Good luck getting it all back together though.

Hello Pomond - What is your domain or server name so I can look into this right away? Please PM me or email me directly ([email protected]) to keep your information private.

We're back up

Hello:

Just wanted to let the forum know that we're back online. Whew! I'm not sure what happened at OLM, but it must have been pretty bad for us to have been down for two business days.

That being said, I do want to reiterate that this is the only such incident I have encountered in seven years of purchasing services from this company, which is why I was so surprised to have been down so long. In every other respect, my experiences with them have been very very good.

That is annoying especially when you have people asking constantly when it shall return. However, maybe they just hit bad luck. Hopefully it won't last long. Perhaps contact support and see what they can do in terms of a partial refund for the trouble.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Is nice you have your site back... we are sorry to ear that you had a bad experience lately, but taking your experience of 7 years i think you should be kind to the hoster and simply ask them to keep you informed if some problem happens with your account agin. Good luck.

Re: We're back up

Originally posted by Pomond
    Hello:

Just wanted to let the forum know that we're back online. Whew! I'm not sure what happened at OLM, but it must have been pretty bad for us to have been down for two business days.

That being said, I do want to reiterate that this is the only such incident I have encountered in seven years of purchasing services from this company, which is why I was so surprised to have been down so long. In every other respect, my experiences with them have been very very good.
    Imagine this Pomond:

You're running a business, and a catastrophic failure happens, causing you to lose a server, maybe a carrier's upstream router fails, picture something catastrophic happening -- and then -- your best & longest running customer goes and posts on WHT (which is indexed by Google daily) complaining that he's getting screwed.

How would you feel?

I think it's probably better for you to have some sympathy for your host, and consider that they obviously aren't screwing you, they're having a problem and are working on it.

I know for some people it's fun to kick 'em when they're down, but what goes around comes around. Everybody has downtime. Face it. It will happen to you, it has happened to me, it has happened to Verio, hell, it happens to everybody. Point is, don't spit on a relationship you've had with this company of seven years over a day of downtime.

In any event, it looks like OLM is in fact a reputable company, just look at archive.org, they've been around for years. These are computers after all, and they do break / fail / lock up / die / burn up / etc etc. These are facts.

What truly makes a hosting company good is how they respond when these catastrophes happen to them.

Not if they happen. But rather how they respond when they happen.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

Re: Re: We're back up

Originally posted by afa340a
    These are computers after all, and they do break / fail / lock up / die / burn up / etc etc. These are facts.
    My former employer at http://www.drumlib.com uses OLM and has had very good service from them for a good number of years.

Stuff happens, no escaping it for anyone.

[mod edit: signatures should be set up in your profile]
    Last edited by Coach; 06-14-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Yeah, but they promote themselves as being the best

Well, we were "getting screwed" by the lack of service, without a doubt: Loss of e-mail is catastrophic for us.

OLM aggressively markets itself as having "99.9 % uptime" and guarantees this, plus the presence of a dual redundant data center -- this is aggressively marketed on their Web site. They set my expectations for a high level of service based on their marketing and their written promises. When they don't achieve this, well, I feel like I'm getting screwed.

I would have been much more tolerant of the situation if 1) I had received more specific information about when service would be restored and 2) if our service had not been down for two business days plus the weekend. I can completely understand that unforseen emergencies can happen, and I'd be tolerant of the time it takes to get things fixed, but I think this situation could have been handled better by OLM.

Ugh ... more problems

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon: As it turns out, we're still encountering problems with FTP, and it looks like some of the Web applications I installed are now not working. Ugh. Looks like more calls into technical support will be required.

I know that some ISP's have been having massive problems the past few days. Perhaps it isn't necessarily a problem with OLM, but an intermediary carrier between you and OLM?

Re: Re: We're back up

Originally posted by afa340a
    You're running a business, and a catastrophic failure happens, causing you to lose a server, maybe a carrier's upstream router fails, picture something catastrophic happening -- and then -- your best & longest running customer goes and posts on WHT (which is indexed by Google daily) complaining that he's getting screwed.

How would you feel?
    Disappointed in myself, of course. Or was that meant to be rhetorical? If a company creates particular expectations, either through marketing, guarantees, or other methods, and doesn't meet those expectations, the customer can feel however he/she likes. Screwed is plausible.

I think the biggest question would be communication; if a host is honest and communicates well with customers, then almost any problem can be overcome to everyone's satisfaction. Of course, having a good plan for dealing with problems is another aspect.

I have no knowledge of OLM and I'm not referring to this specific incident in any way whatsoever.

Kevin

Pomond - I will not post any specific information on a public forum other than to say I know you were in touch with our support and they helped you resolve this. FTP can be restarted through the GUI, or command line.

Also, you have my direct email address and phone number which I gave in my last post (phone number in my email to you). We are here to help you any time.

7 years with no serious downtime until now and you're complaining? csilkman from OLM took the time to deal with you on this forum, by email and gave you his phone number.

If I ever have to consider a move again, OLM will be on the top of my list of hosts to consider.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Disappointed in myself, of course. Or was that meant to be rhetorical?
    Yes, point is that you'd feel horrible enough yourself to bring the guy to that point.

In any event, good thread. Take care & good luck to OLM & everyone involved!
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120