any experience with BUYDOMAINS.COM?

i'm looking to start a new business on a .com domain name that i'm trying to get via backorder. to be thorough, i'm also looking to pick up the other extensions of the name. some of them are available to be registered, but two of them are owned and for sale by BUYDOMAINS.COM. i believe they're a squatting company of sorts, which is fine, but i'm wondering if anyone has experience with dealing with them?

it seems pretty straightforward- there's a price for the domain and you can just buy it on a credit card.

i assume they then transfer the domain to you...?

has anyone else actually bought a domain from them? can you tell me how the experience went? good or bad, i'm wondering if i should deal with these guys.

the other question i had is that it's been mentioned that if i buy multiple domains at once from them they may be willing to give a discount or package deal. has anyone done that with them? how do you negotiate something like that? i sent them an email a couple days ago and haven't gotten anything back.

and my last question is.... is it really prudent to buy the rest of the extensions for my site? it will be a commercial site, and i'm hoping it will do well, but should i point the rest of the extensions at the .com (assuming i get all of these of course)? or just get the other extensions to own so no one can try to weasel another site with the same name (but different extension), leveraging the (potential) popularity of my site? is it overkill to get all of them?

thanks in advance for any & all help...

I have no experience with them but would consider any prices to be negotiable. You have the dot com and they have the dot net? Dot com trumps dot net. My guess is that getting the .net is not worth their $1000+ list prices. Yes, get the other extensions if they are not registered.
    Pointing multiple names to the dot com can dilute your search engine rankings - instead of seeing 99 links to one site the search engines may see 33 to the dot com and 33 to the dot net and 33 to the dot org - potentailly reducing your ranking.

If you're trying to get the .com and BuyDomains has the .net already, you can bet that they will probably be in on the bidding for the .com name.

I would suggest that you immediately put in backorder at all the popular services:

www.Pool.com
    www.SnapNames.com
    www.ClubDrop.com (Only allows backordering with a few days of it dropping)
    www.NameWinner.com
    www.GoDaddy.com

Personally, I wouldn't bother buying the .net from BuyDomains. If someone else buys it, they will only drive free traffic to the .com (.com is King in people's minds). If it's available for registration, I might register the .info for future use - but I've always thought that .info was going to be bigger than it currently is.

You have to realize that bidding can get somewhat fierce for these popular .com names. So, you have to make your mind up, in advance, what that domain is REALLY worth to you. Don't get caught up in the excitement of the bidding.

After all, who would have thought that names like Google and Amazon would be worth so much. In the end, it's the website content that will determine your success.

But... a catchy name does help.

Good Luck!
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

I like GoDaddy.com. Thier customer account panel is about the easiest to use and they have the best support I have found yet for domain registration.

My experience with BuyDomains is that they don't negotiate on their sale prices . . .

Originally posted by Scott
    My experience with BuyDomains is that they don't negotiate on their sale prices . . .
    Yea... They've never taken me up on any of my offers - but I'm so cheap they usually don't respond.

I've heard they will come down 10 to 20% on the domains they own, but I really don't know. What makes the matter more complicated is that they now have domains for sale in their database that are listings for third parties. And a lot of people have unrealisticly high expectations of what their domain names are worth.

I wish they would cut me a 10-20% on a few I would like to own

I have heard non negotiable at lower levels (unless you're looking at high 4 figures and above) and they keep track of who is interested. Ive seen people say after inquiring and not buying they raise the price, presumably because someone is interested. Their business model is quite sound and they are one of the largest players in the industry. Whether they make a small sale or not isn't going to make or break them, so your choice is really pay their asking price or forget about the domain and hope they let it drop. Unfortunately, they've got some of the deepest pockets (one of the top 3 as far as im concerned) for competing for any names and keeping their enormous portfolio.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

other than that they stole on of my domains I'd say no, I don't have any experience with them. They do own a ton of domains though..and as Scott stated, they don't negotiate the price they've set.
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Don't feel alone... they got several of mine, too. But, in the end, it was my fault. I was under stress and I got sloppy about renewing my domains.

They're not my favorite company on the planet (especially right around 2pm PST when I figure out who got the domain I backordered), but you have to admire their deep pockets... because they got 'em.

Originally posted by 4solutions
    If you're trying to get the .com and BuyDomains has the .net already, you can bet that they will probably be in on the bidding for the .com name.

I would suggest that you immediately put in backorder at all the popular services:

www.Pool.com
    www.SnapNames.com
    www.ClubDrop.com (Only allows backordering with a few days of it dropping)
    www.NameWinner.com
    www.GoDaddy.com

Personally, I wouldn't bother buying the .net from BuyDomains. If someone else buys it, they will only drive free traffic to the .com (.com is King in people's minds). If it's available for registration, I might register the .info for future use - but I've always thought that .info was going to be bigger than it currently is.

You have to realize that bidding can get somewhat fierce for these popular .com names. So, you have to make your mind up, in advance, what that domain is REALLY worth to you. Don't get caught up in the excitement of the bidding.

After all, who would have thought that names like Google and Amazon would be worth so much. In the end, it's the website content that will determine your success.

But... a catchy name does help.

Good Luck!
    thanks 4solutions...

actually, what you are saying here makes a lot of sense. i *am*, in fact, trying to get the .com and didn't even think of the possibility that they too would be trying to get it (don't know why i didn't consider that- ha!).

who do they tend to do their domain catching with, or do they use everybody?

i just hope i get the domain and it doesn't go to auction so i don't get caught up in the excitement of the auction- that's gotten me into trouble in some ebay auctions.

it's hard for me to come to a hard number on what my maximum is though. the name is more or less ideal for the business. while i do agree that it is the content that makes the site, and that abstract names like 'google' and 'amazon' etc that have nothing to do with the actual businesses they run seem to work fine, i also think a site with a name exactly matching its content is attractive and inherently relevant.

thanks again...

Originally posted by kohashi
    I have heard non negotiable at lower levels (unless you're looking at high 4 figures and above) and they keep track of who is interested. Ive seen people say after inquiring and not buying they raise the price, presumably because someone is interested. Their business model is quite sound and they are one of the largest players in the industry. Whether they make a small sale or not isn't going to make or break them, so your choice is really pay their asking price or forget about the domain and hope they let it drop. Unfortunately, they've got some of the deepest pockets (one of the top 3 as far as im concerned) for competing for any names and keeping their enormous portfolio.
    i think i'm probably out of luck reading all these responses. the domains they have ARE among their cheapest, so maybe the energy spent in negotiating with me might not be worth the profit they'll be making anyway.

luckily, i didn't inquire specifically about the names i'm interested in, but wrote a more generic email about how i could go about negotiating for two names. that way, they can't/won't know specifically which ones i want and are interested in (then possibly raise the price on them).

i guess i pay asking price or nothing.

Re: any experience with BUYDOMAINS.COM?

Originally posted by jrandall
    i'm looking to start a new business on a .com domain name that i'm trying to get via backorder. to be thorough, i'm also looking to pick up the other extensions of the name. some of them are available to be registered, but two of them are owned and for sale by BUYDOMAINS.COM. i believe they're a squatting company of sorts, which is fine, but i'm wondering if anyone has experience with dealing with them?

it seems pretty straightforward- there's a price for the domain and you can just buy it on a credit card.

i assume they then transfer the domain to you...?

has anyone else actually bought a domain from them? can you tell me how the experience went? good or bad, i'm wondering if i should deal with these guys.

the other question i had is that it's been mentioned that if i buy multiple domains at once from them they may be willing to give a discount or package deal. has anyone done that with them? how do you negotiate something like that? i sent them an email a couple days ago and haven't gotten anything back.

and my last question is.... is it really prudent to buy the rest of the extensions for my site? it will be a commercial site, and i'm hoping it will do well, but should i point the rest of the extensions at the .com (assuming i get all of these of course)? or just get the other extensions to own so no one can try to weasel another site with the same name (but different extension), leveraging the (potential) popularity of my site? is it overkill to get all of them?

thanks in advance for any & all help...

...and to avoid confusion, i just found this old ID (greybalance) i'd forgotten about- it's auto-logged in on this old machine i'm on!