CPanel Alternatives

Hi all,

I realize this thread has probably been brought up a million times, but all major control panels have been updated, so hopefully we can get fresh answers.

What are the major alternatives to CPanel (for hosting control panels), and why are they better?

Also, if you are a web host that uses an alternative to CPanel, please include your name + company name in your post.

Thanks!
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources
    Read about your company in the news
    Web Hosting Press Releases

Just to name a few:

DirectAdmin - I think this one is much more stable and has a better admin interface than cPanel, although cPanel overtakes this one in user options.

Plesk - I didn't really like this control panel much, didn't have any advantages over any others in my opinion.

Helm - I believe this one works on Windows, which is an advantage obviously to windows-based web hosts or clients wanting windows hosting.

Webmin - Free is the only advantage... not the best IMHO

Virtualmin - A break-off of webmin

Usermin - Another break-off of webmin

CP++ - Based on webmin core. More expensive than cPanel although I don't know much about this other than it's basically webmin with a new skin (or so I've read)...

Thanks. Are there any hosts who use the above Control Panels who maybe can say a thing or two about them?
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Plesk on Windows - because cPanel doesn't run on Windows (yet). There's also H-Sphere that has a pretty large following.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Direct admin - highly suggest it as an alternative. It is beacuse it is similar, but cheaper and is faster loading.

You should also check out: http://www.interworx.info/

Helm on windows.
    Other than that I do not like any of the other CP's they all have their pro's and con's I guess. Its a matter of researching them and seeing what is best for your business and budget.

I used Ensim for a long time, I found it very resource intensive and I also found once I hit around the 250 site mark on many servers issues started to pop up that even with the $50 Ensim support ticket could not be fixed. I was told there were too many sites (260 on time on a dual xeon 2.0 2gb ram under 1.00 load most of the time). I migrated about 1000 domains from Ensim > Cpanel after a while right after the 3.5 release. Also Ensim is/was dependant on certain customized versions of things like ftp which means you must reply on Ensim to send out an update or risk screwing things up. There is luckly a good following for Ensim over at forums.rackshack.net and many things were put out prior to Ensim releases by some of the Ensim gurus there..

Plesk I used for about 2 months testing, again I found it very bulky and resource intensive and just not that user freindly.

cPanel has been great so far, It has its problems like all control panels at times but it uses the lowest resources I have seen out of all the control panels and also has some really great user interfaces, not that pretty but very functional. I would say at this point we manage about 15 cPanel servers and see no reason to change anytime in the future.

I second the choice of Interworx. I've been using DA for a while but am very impressed with Interworx. The responsiveness of the developers is very good which seems to be a rare thing among CP companies these days.

do you know any good free control panels?

www.thezpanel.com is a good free one

is it hard to install?

Originally posted by streryan
    www.thezpanel.com is a good free one
    That is using a cPanel skin and feels shockingly similar to cPanel.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Originally posted by Anjay
    You should also check out: http://www.interworx.info/
    Second that after dealing with cpanel we are switching to interworx to handle our clients. Its fast, updates are simple and it just works.

Interworx looks really good now.

Yeha but... still cant beat cPanel, never will.

Don't use it, but someone I know has tried it before. Free Opensource alternative web-cp.

http://www.web-cp.net/