Openssl help needed.

i was at openssl.org and saw that it was free. I need a SSL for my site to prevent packet sniffing on my chat server. anyway does my site have to be on it's own IP in order to add a openssl crt and key or can a virtual domain IP be okay?

any help would be great.

For any ssl you will require the domain to be on its own dedicated IP address no matter where you get it from or even if you create a self signed certificate.
    Ron Rogers
    Need SSL Certificates? WEBYSSL.com (rapidssl.com International Affiliate)
    Put Your Mark on the WWWorld with WEBY Systems

If i use OpenSSL will the browsers pop up the security warnering screen? and is SSL the only way to prevent packet sniffing?

OpenSSL is the library that provides SSL services to apache. I think you're mixing up the library with the SSL certificate.

Yes, OpenSSL is free, but you still need a certificate that OpenSSL will use to establish secure sessions with browsers. AFAIK there are no free certificates that won't pop up the warning dialog in the browser. You would need to get a paid one. All "self signed" certs pop up the warning window unless you instruct (and convince) your customers to install your CA root certificate in their browsers.

One of the cheapest certificates I found is StarterSSL from EV1Servers. It's only $15 bucks.