Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Longtime Customer Disappointed With HostRocket

I've been with HostRocket for nearly two years, and in the past six months I've noticed a marked deterioration in service.

On innumerable occasions, both my email and my website have gone down and have been inaccessible.

On Friday, my website disappeared completely replaced by HR's spam policy page. Repeated inquiries went unanswered all day Friday and most of Saturday.

When there finally was a response it was:

Hello,

There was a problem with our DNS servers and they were pointing your site to an incorrect IP address. I have corrected this but it might take sometime for your ISPs DNS to reflect the change. In the meantime you can view your site at this URL:
    --

--
    Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Joe R.

EXCUSE ME?? Could HR please AT LEAST tell folks when there is a problem to begin with? There was nothing to indicate thgis on the server status page (and still isn't). DNS errors are pretty serious things and it seems the LEAST they could do.

I told the guy this and here's what he said:

We are really sorry for the trouble. Now we hope you don\'t have any problems. If you have any problems please feel free to contact us.

Am I talking to an auto-responder or what??

HostRocket has become a joke. It's always sad to see a company become the victime of their own success. I'm off to find a better hosting solution.
      0 Not allowed!

IF I am not mistaquen, HR just moved some accounts from VDI to their NOC .. if your account was one of them, it is possible the new IP was not properly updated in the DNS servers, an unfortunate error, but it can happen...

you should see how cahotic the Jumpline move was

I just find it funny, if people dont' get a reply from HR, they bitch .. if people get a reply from HR .. they bitch about the reply ..

Unlike what most people thing, it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep an eye on tousands of websites, and make sure each and every one is up, and if there is a DNS problem with one .. I am sorry, but the only way the host will know .. is when the client tells him.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine
      0 Not allowed!

I was with HR for 2 years as well and totally agree with you about their support. I had two accounts with them and over the last 6 months experienced numerous problems that were inevitably an error on their part. I was also charged on my cc a few times for things I didn't request, like a domain name registration renewal and extra bandwidth. Fortunately those charges were reimbursed. Their responses to trouble tickets, if I was lucky enough to even get a response, were generic and totally non-helpful.

As my year contract was almost up, I found a new host and left. I learned a few lesson though, including not giving my hosting company my credit card, and not to sign up for too long a period. I now pay for hosting with checks and sign up for only 3 or 6 month periods at a time.

Good luck with your search for a new host. I'm now using Alwayswebhosting and Site5, and so far so good!
      0 Not allowed!

ditto...I'm with HR for almost a year and I loved them, really, recommended them to everyone who wanted a host, and now their support.....

like the two others above, their answers to my questions have been very ambigous and generic.

Am on my way out there....
      0 Not allowed!

Carlos,

People do have the right to bitch, because after days of waiting for a reply, and then a message arrives with a basic answer, then I don't see how this shows any good support.

And this is not the first time HR customers come here and complain. I think that shows that HR is doing something wrong.
      0 Not allowed!

What makes a good host?

Personally, I have to side with the position that a much more prompt reply should have been made. Personal customer support is the benchmark of a company with which it is pleasurable to do business. A well-attended helpdesk is one aspect of this. Phone support is another. Ultimately, each client should have the personal contact info of at least one person inside whatever company he or she is doing business with.

When responses take so long to come and contain no information, I think it is time to hit the road in search of a new host. Best of luck!
      0 Not allowed!

There always having some sort of problems,i recall when i use to host with them they had the same dns problems and my site was down for the weekend,i emailed them Sunday and didnt get a response till around tuesday and then one of there support people has the guts to say that my site was up all weekend,when i was saying how can that be i had tons of emails from visitors saying it was down.Then after asking for a credit on a month of hosting they didnt even answer it.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CRego3D

Unlike what most people thing, it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep an eye on tousands of websites, and make sure each and every one is up, and if there is a DNS problem with one .. I am sorry, but the only way the host will know .. is when the client tells him.
    This is so untrue, there are many FREE software packages that monitor servers uptime, and not just for web, but for DNS, POP3, SMTP, etc.

IMO - No matter how big a host is, I firmly believe that when you call your host and tell them that your site is down, they should reply "Yup, we know we are taking a look right now", or "Oh really, It is showing up on our side let me investigate." Thats just me. I think every host should be monitoring every site.

If you are co-located or using a dedicated server then I think you should monitor your own server.
    Last edited by DaddyPops; 03-24-2002 at 06:57 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DaddyPops

This is so untrue, there are many FREE software packages that monitor servers uptime, and not just for web, but for DNS, POP3, SMTP, etc.
    Was I speakign French ? .. of course there are a ton of services that will check for those, but the problem is checking every SINGLE site to make sure it's up, becuase DNS is running fine in one server, doesnt' mean all sites are.

And yes, a host can do it .. and lots of other things, .. but it wont' cost you 10.00 a month
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine
      0 Not allowed!

No your not speaking french... And what is this 10 dollars a month crap? You buy software to do it, there is no monthly fee. One that runs under Windows is IPSentry for about $99, for linux I could right a script in about 2 hours that would monitor sites.

Use the Windows one from your home computer and the linux one from a server in preferably in another data center, but in the same datacenter if you had to. There is absolutely no excuse for not monitoring your customers sites. I can't believe you are trying to act like it is because of monthly fees, sounds more like laziness to me.

Anyways thats just my opinion.
      0 Not allowed!

I think that HR host 2000+ sites.
    Do you think that its possible to monitor 2000+ sites??
    I don't mean servers, I mean domains.
    Sometimes the server its up, majority of the sites are up too, but 1 no.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

I used to work for i-structure a level3 company and they used "Whats up Gold" at I think around $799 if memory serves. With this program I logged into a web page and on that page was every router and server for the company. And at a quick glance if anything was red it was down. If something went down a person was paged and a ticket was automatically logged into a help desk system. Now $799 doesn't sound like much for a company with 2000 domains being hosted. With IP Sentry that I mentioned earlier I am honestly not sure if it could handle that load but here is how it works. Since the earlier poster was mentioning how it becuase DNS is running fine in one server.

You set it so that everything is dependant on something, if your main router is down it does not bother checking the individual sites, you can tell it that if your DNS Server is down don't check the individual sites. Now lets say that you set it up to check a certain domain. You can tell it what text to look for on the main page. By default I think it looks for "HTTP/1." and if it finds that it marks the site as up, you can change this text to whatever you want. So you could make it where if a site didn't display a certain title tag then the site would be marked as down, that way if it was an error message, it would still mark it as down, and someone would get paged to investigate.

Writing a program yourself for this would not be that difficult. Now for 2000 servers on the other hand it would be best to use threading, but still not too difficult. I still think that there is really no excuse to not monitor sites.

(I apologize for rambling)

Mike
      0 Not allowed!

I use whatup gold for DataColo .. when the number of servers starts to esacalate drastically, the program becomes slower, I could onyl imaginge if it had to be used to monitors 5 or 10K sites, it would hang
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine
      0 Not allowed!

The thing is, you don't generally monitor everything about each site. You monitor the services for each site (like the FTP server, the DNS server, Apache on the server, etc.). The DNS server could be up and functioning, but have the incorrect entries, and it wouldn't tell you that a site was down.

In other words, just because the FTP server is up, it doesn't mean I emailed you the correct password and you can FTP in. Server is up, you can't get in. Apache is the same way, httpd could be up and running fine on the server, but there could be a problem with the site itself.

If you have a small number of sites, you can monitor the services for each individual site. Make sure httpd is up for domain.com, domain2.com, domain3.com, etc. But at a certain point, you (the host) have to monitor the services on each server. You need to be alerted if FTP, or DNS, or Email, or Apache, etc., takes a digger.

This is all I expect (personally) from a host, (I'm not telling anyone else what they should expect).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Jedito

I'm sure that number can't be correct. We host 5000+ and I would still consider us a relatively small hosting company. Its a *very* comfortable number of customers to manage.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

A while ago Brendan told me they push about 50Mbit of transfer for their shared customers - thats a lot more than 2000 customer accounts
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy
      0 Not allowed!

A lot of domains to host is a lame excuse.
    If you make profit on each domain, the more domains you get, the more profit.
    Some companies use the extra profit to hire extra staff and extra monitoring servers, while other companies preffer to increase the profit without spending extra to keep the same relativity of costumer per support staff.
      0 Not allowed!

Iceblaze, I think that you didn't get the point.
    You can monitor all your servers, but not every site on each server.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

I'm talking about the support attitude of 'Wer'e sorry and lets finish that here'
      0 Not allowed!

* The first post....

Even if the servers where monitored, and the services where monitored its imposible to track 1000+ sites. Its all about CUSTOMER SERVICE that is number 1 priority for any sucessfull hosting company. The bigger the company the more knowlegeable and informative support staff they should have. Yes a hosting company with 1000+ domains won't be able to find out right away that there is a problem with one of their domains its imposible but if there is enough support personnel the client will send a ticket > support will get it > and fix the problem right away. Everybody will be happy .
    WCSWEB.NETWORKS - 24x7 Support We're here to help anytime, day or night!
    WCSHOST.Net <- Call us (800) 590-0017 ->
    Linux based Cpanel Shared and Reseller premium Hosting with Fantastico & rvskin
    Windows based Helm Shared Premium Hosting / Remote Backup solutions
      0 Not allowed!

I will say this I have had one domain hosted at MaximumASP for almost a year and a half, they are very expensive in my opinion, but they earn it. Everytime my site has gone down, when I call their support, as soon as I tell them my domain name they are like "Yup our server monitor caught that and we are working on it right now." My site with them has NEVER been down for more than 10 minutes. Most of the time they have it back up before I can call.
      0 Not allowed!

Just thought I would add that still in my opinion the only excuse not to monitor all of the sites would be if they were all name based and did not have a dedicated IP address, but even then it is shaky.

Many server monitoring programs do an http request and can be configured to find common problems.

From the sounds of most of the replies this is not the status quo, and maybe it should be.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DaddyPops
    Just thought I would add that still in my opinion the only excuse not to monitor all of the sites would be if they were all name based and did not have a dedicated IP address, but even then it is shaky.

Many server monitoring programs do an http request and can be configured to find common problems.

From the sounds of most of the replies this is not the status quo, and maybe it should be.
    So you want alarms going off when you decide to remove your index.html or delete your home directory? How are hosts supposed to know when you are working on your web site? Also, they would need to configure your logging not to have the entries from the monitor, and if you have any type of CGI on your page (to set cookies, or count visitors), it's going to be called everytime your site is "visited" by the site monitor.

Do you have any answers for these problems?

If you want this service, you should set it up and have it email you, then you notify the web host. I would be more than happy to set up a free monitoring service like enotify for any of our customers that requested it, but it's going to go to their email or pager, and not ours.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!
      0 Not allowed!

Thumbs down

I also have been a HostRocket customer for over a year. They were doing a pretty good job until January 2002 when my mail and web site would go down on a weekly basis. Troubletickets would get a response but would simply say "its up now". What made me leave was that I had a mailing list going on my site. For two days I didn't receive any mail! I submitted a trouble ticket and you know what they said? "We no longer support the current mailing list ... Feel free to install one yourself" I couldn't beleive it! That is just poor business with a poor attitude. It sounds like they have so many customers that they just don't care. Any size company that stops caring about their customers is headed for trouble. I no longer recommend hosting with HostRocket.

-- Akamai
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Jedito
    I don't see the point in monitoring every site on a given server. Monitor the server enough to guarantee that the apropriate services are functioning properly and you've done your job. Customer sites will work. If a customer screwed up permissions on something or deleted their index.html or whatever, I don't see how it's the host's responsibility to hold the customer's hand. If there's a problem at that point, then it's most likely isolated and the customer can submit a trouble ticket or whatever the procedure is with your hosting provider.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast