* Microsoft - How did you let someone else get internetexplorer.com .net and .org?

http://www.whois.sc/internetexplorer.com

could there be a more classic case of Big Corporate - slipping throught the cracks - oversight?

ICANN Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
    Created: 04-nov-2001
    Expires: 04-nov-2005
    Interesting that there has NEVER been any dispute for internetexplorer nor internet-explorer

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/search/index.html

i bet if they wanted it they would get it
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Just as mswindows.com and mswindows.net are taken.

http://www.whois.sc/mswindows.com
    http://www.whois.sc/mswindows.net
    Last edited by mdadnan; 06-13-2005 at 03:30 AM.
    Name123.com [ We are online Since 2004! ]
    Cheapest Domain Registration & Reseller Services!
    ENOM Domain Reseller Account with Lowest Industry Prices! (Details)
    Plus Excellent Technical Support Along The Way!

Thats amazing cause those are their prime products yet they did not register domains on time?
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Originally posted by CSDesk
    Thats amazing cause those are their prime products yet they did not register domains on time?
    Or they simply didn't want them?
    If I need any help or information from Microsoft then the first place I'm going to try is microsoft.com
    As "Microsoft" are the company, even if I wasn't savvy enough to try microsoft.com first I would be searching for "Microsoft" or "Windows" not "mswindows".
    It's also worth noting where both mswindows.com & mswindows.net actually go to - neither of them resolve.
    So, they are of no threat to Microsoft as a business, not worth doing anything about.

Now if these sites started to resolve to another company giving the impression they were something to do with Microsoft or Windows.
    Or a site attacking the company then the MS lawyers would step in, the domains would be taken away - problem solved.

None of the sites you've listed do anything.
    If I was Microsoft I wouldn't have gone after those domains either - there is no point owning them.
    At the same time they are pretty useless to anybody else.
    Anything "anti-Microsoft" or rival/look-a-like to Microsoft will result probably in the domains being taken away and given to Microsoft.

Remember Microsoft.com is one of the top 10 domains on the internet. All other above registered domains if even developed might be instantly taken over by microsoft. Although microsoft.com is big enough for all its products, the above mentioned domains are partially secured by MS whether owned or not.
    Name123.com [ We are online Since 2004! ]
    Cheapest Domain Registration & Reseller Services!
    ENOM Domain Reseller Account with Lowest Industry Prices! (Details)
    Plus Excellent Technical Support Along The Way!

They probably don't want to create confusion or make things complex. Internet Explorer while a product of Microsoft, is not the main company association. They want the main keyword to be microsoft.com

And what if they wanted to change the name of IE for some reason? Then, there would be two things that do the same thing, making for more confusion.

If I wanted to look up something for Internet Explorer, I would type in microsoft or go to their site.

fewcoin

Surprisingly MicroSoft does not have a trademark on Internet Explorer.....or on many other of their products... Excel, Word....

http://www.microsoft.com/library/too...rks/en-us.mspx

Kinda hard to file a dispute when you don't own the trademark. It must be a deliberate decision, not an oversight, not to file their products as trademarks.

IF MS wanted to wipo they would be spending over $500,000 on wipos as there are many good ms domains taken by others, thats just the wipo fees! there are alot of lawyer fees involved is someone decides to fight!

i know of over 50 msn typos! remember microsoft has MANY services, most are taken, so i guess the wipo costs is even more, EACH wipo costs about $1,100 !

Originally posted by Bladerunner
    Or they simply didn't want them?
    Maybe they strategy was:

"Let's make our Internet Explorer the #1 browser in the market so that if someone would buy internetexplorer.com, they'd have to use Internet Explorer to get there."