new servers over the next year, should I?

Hi guys,

I am planning on buying new dedicated servers with ServerMatrix over the next year. (10-30 servers) for personal use.

When i buy servers from SM one by one, they never EVER give a discount, regardless of how many I currently rate.

Would it be possible or would it be a good idea to try to become a theplanet reseller and take advantage of the discounts at least.

Does anyone know approx how many % savings will I have?
    Buying domains with serious traffic, PM me

Talk to them and see what they will do for you. You may wish to talk to a slightly smaller provider who will help you more. There's plenty who would want a customer like you

You might want to consider going colo with this many machines also. It'll have a higher initial cost, but it might work out to a bit of savings.

I too would recommend colo.

Colo would make more financial sense more than likely, although there are a few other things to consider, mainly, you will be responsible for the hardware replacements, so see if the datacenter will do it for you if you can't and bill you for it. Depending on what you want to do, colo can be a great solution for you and save you quite a bit.

Edited to add:

Also, along the lines of bandwidth, depending on how much you use, it can be cheaper either way. But as a general rule, you are able to commit to only the amount of bandwidth that you need.
    James Lumby

How much does a colocation company typically charge for 1,000 GB of BW per server per month?
    Buying domains with serious traffic, PM me

Well, most places (and I personally think it is the better way, some will differ) sell it per Mb/s. You can buy one pipe of whatever size you need and spread it between the servers, so if one server is using 1 Mb/s and another is using 3 Mb/s and another is using .5 Mb/s, you're only getting charged for 4.5 Mb/s instead of 1,000 GB per server and overages if any go over. This is of course my opinion and also what I recommend to our customers.
    James Lumby

You may wish to commit to 100 Mbps for all 30 servers, that's about 750 GB per server based on typical usage of peak and non-peak times. For that plus a cabinet of space for the 30 boxes + power for the boxes, you could probably do it for $3000-$4000/mo. depending on where you go. If you go to Hurricane Electric in Fremont, California then it will be much less...Best of luck.

I wouldn't commit to 100 Mb/s right off.. I would get a much smaller commit and see where you are first, you can always increase your commit, it's a bit harder to decrease.. I would start of with 10 Mb/s burstable to 100 on 95th percentile.. See what you are pushing for the first week, base your commit off that, I'm sure the datacenter will work with you.

Edited to add, there's really no reason to pay for something you don't need. I have 30 servers that don't use anywhere near 100 Mb/s, but I have a few servers that use about half that a piece...
    James Lumby

If you do dedicated servers, you'll have less flexiblity bandwidth-wise, but less risk involved. If you do business lease & colo, you'll probably save money in the long run, as well as accumulate value. Also, if you plan on using a good bit of bandwidth, but unevenly spread out, colo might be the solution.