please recommend specs for a file and image hosting site

Planning to move my file and image hosting site to its own server next month but still wondering what sort of specs should I get. My site currently have 4.5k++ users with about 50 new users signing up daily. At the moment the site average about 40-50gb bandwidth per day.

I'm currently leaning towards
    AMD Semp 2400 or a P4 2.8ghz
    2GB RAM
    80-120GB SATA HD
    10-20 Mbps Unmetered

Running Lighttpd to handle the loads. File and image size fixed at 2mb (maybe will increase to 3mb in the future)

Will that be good enough? My budget is set at around $200/mo

Thanks in advance!

AMD Sempron 2400 with 1 GB RAM should be fine. I personally would reccomend thttpd, but if you have more experience wiht lighttpd then by all means go ahead That budget should be plenty to get you a box you want. You don't really need a SATA HD for this, IDE works fine.

with the amount of hits and files download, doesn't SATA HD make a difference compared to IDE ?

Originally posted by JHosts
    You don't really need a SATA HD for this, IDE works fine..

That made me fall on the floor and laugh, he will need SATA

Howcome SATA is that much better? The only difference is that it does 150MB/sec, instead of 133MB/sec, right?

you really won't even see the difference.... if you really need speed you should go up to a decent raid 10 / 50 solution.

Originally posted by Siet
    Howcome SATA is that much better? The only difference is that it does 150MB/sec, instead of 133MB/sec, right?
    My understanding is that a SATA HD is going to last you longer than an IDE. Disk crashes can be a pain in the neck. Of course, this is only going to be something you'll have to worry about if you'll be running a server for more than a year or two.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Originally posted by HostMidwest
    My understanding is that a SATA HD is going to last you longer than an IDE. Disk crashes can be a pain in the neck. Of course, this is only going to be something you'll have to worry about if you'll be running a server for more than a year or two.
    There is some pretty wild ideas about SATA being posted here. The performance difference between a 7200rpm sata vs 7200rpm IDE is very minimal. As for SATA lasting longer, where do you get this information from? The drives come with the same length warrantees as their IDE counterparts, and the IDE standard isn't going to go anywhere for a long time.

The only way you are going to get a really noticeable difference between SATA-IDE is when using 10,000RPM SATA drives.

Either way, if you want the best performance from these types of drives RAID is the only way to truely boost capacity.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting