phpnuke site taking down the server

I'm rather confused.

Here's the basic info:

Server - Dual Xeon 2.4GhZ
    2GB RAM
    RHEL 3

The site is a phpnuke site with over 7000 members on a shared server. The server load maintains under 1.0 when this site is not active. When we bring the account online and users start going to it again - the load rises quickly to unmanagable levels.

I've optimized the hell out of apache and MySQL. We barely use 50% of the RAM at any time.

What else can I do? I don't think a site like this should be taking down the server...

Did you optimize the phpnuke? Phpnuke does get heavy at times, i have had experence with it... but i do say it could be something wrong...

New York, NY
    Do you use the MySQL query cache? It does wonders for nuke sites!

MediaLayer, LLC - Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Glasgow, Scotland
    Also using either Cache_Lite or Turck mmCache for php might improve your performance intensly.

The thing with all the pre-made CMS systems is that they actually load semi-static pages as dynamic on every single visit.
    Eg, a news page will generally only be update once every week/month, but php-nuke constructs it from database on every single visit.

Its a silly system... A truly optimized CMS should not fetch semi-static pages from a dynamic database. Its just horrible for the load if you webpage gets a lot of visitors... :/
    My development blog - (un)Interesting codesnippets and the occational code-related rant!

yes - I'm looking into mmCache now.

as for MySQL query cache, and optimizing nuke - nope.

I'll look into those as well. Thank you

Top Secret
    Also, take a look @ the mods you have installed in nuke, if this is your own site. Php-Nuke mods are commonly written very poorly, and not optimized for best performance (ie: mysql, etc) so choose your own very wisely.

In the end, it's always best going with your own setup. Admittedly, it takes a bit (ok, sometimes a lot) longer to develop and design but it's always best, because then you know what's going on with your own system and how to best set it up
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Linux Problems? WHMCS Issues? +1-866-546-8914 (linux-14) or @whmcsguru on twitter!

Looks like mmCache won't work as this is a php_suexec setup.

What would work when php is running as cgi?