I Have A HUGE Favor To Ask...

Is there like a walkthrough on setting up ONE file server off multiple 10mbit servers? im thinking of just starting with 2, then moving on.

what would be my best choices for multiple 10mbit unshared servers?

will i have total ftp control, adminstration and the ability to reboot them if needed?

what all do i need?

what OS should i use?

will i be able to put more HD in them?

ANYTHING that i would need to know, please help.

Thanks.

Use the OS which you are intimately familiar with and are confident in administering it. You would need an FTP Server.

You should be able to add more Harddisks as required within what your web host would allow you to add.

Re: I Have A HUGE Favor To Ask...

Originally posted by Hypnotik
    Is there like a walkthrough on setting up ONE file server off multiple 10mbit servers? im thinking of just starting with 2, then moving on.
    If I'm interpreting you right, you want to set up multiple machines to appear as one to the world.

Probably the easiest/cheapest way to do this is with Round Robin DNS.

http://content.websitegear.com/artic...alance_dns.htm

It's the fastest, cheapest solution to implement. You'd probably want to do it with BIND in Linux or FreeBSD because most srticles on it will describe that situation, but I believe it's possible in Windows. The caveat is that it has certain problems which make it okay for small situations, but as your traffic increases or you add more machines, the holes start showing.

The other alternative is a load balanced cluster. EV1servers is currently "sold out" of their load-balanced offerings, but they do have a good page explaining the concept.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/se...rs_details.asp

Hope this helps,

Greg