View Poll Results: Would you "support" this war?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm from the USA, and YES I would definately stay behind this new war!

10 9.52%
  • I'm NOT from the USA, and YES I would definately stay behind this new war!

9 8.57%
  • I'm from the USA, and I do not have an opinion..

2 1.90%
  • I'm NOT from the USA, and I do not have an opinion..

1 0.95%
  • I'm from the USA, and I would only say YES if the UN gives an OK signal.

13 12.38%
  • I'm NOT from the USA, and I would only say YES if the UN gives an OK signal.

10 9.52%
  • I'm from the USA, and its a big NO for me!!

32 30.48%
  • I'm NOT from the USA, and its a big NO for me!!

28 26.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here is another interesting article I found just now in The Independent…
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I was looking at the celebration of Iran qualification for WC06.

It is my undestanding that it is the silent majority that wants reforms. The younger generation are cool and western leaning!

So, to answer OP's question, NO WAR. We will only alienate them, let the Europeans work out a diplomatic deal with their govt.
      0 Not allowed!

Big No.

What come after Iran?
    Quote, "Google is your best friend!"
      0 Not allowed!

Boots on the ground in Iran??

As things stand right now, neither the US nor my own British military are in any position to launch a large scale deployment similar to that of Iraq.

If Iraq hadn't happened in the way that it did in rhe past few years, then an Iraq scale and style deployment in Iran might've been possible but no longer. No unless things really kicked off that is.

If you're supportive of military intervention in Iran in the coming months, i'd say the best you could hope for is a massive series of surgical strikes, cruise missiles, laser guided bombs and the like, targeting specific installations. Somewhat similar to Operation Desert Fox launched by American and British forces against in Iraq in 98 or 99 wasn't it.

Iran does have the potential to become quite a problem in the future, currently they claim to have mainly "civilian uses" in mind for their nuclear programme. The IAEA has been monitoring the situation for some time now. Most agree i would say that Iran has had aspyrations for something more in the past, whether this is still so we can't be sure, but the evidence ad the negotiations with Britain France and Germany would suggest that they're in no hurry. Still only "potential" then.

The utter mismanagement of the British Armed Forces at both a political and high military level wouldn't contribute too favourably to the chances of our involvement. It's a disgrace really but what can you do, Labour just got voted back in.

Talking in the here and now though, if i had to compile a list of places i would like to send 5,000 British troops [a Brigade] or have them take part in some interventionist operation, Iran wouldn't be at the top of my list. I'd be saying names like Sudan or Zimbabwe to you, maybe even the Carribean in the form of the Royal Navy with the high risk of an even worse storm/hurricane season when compared to last year.

hellind2, there is certainly a sizeable number of the population who would support reforms, however if that is to happen urely from within i we're still some decades off IMO.

Just some of my thoughts

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-13-2005 at 09:14 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info
      0 Not allowed!

IMO, America needs to pull its head in, and look after domestic issues like unemployment, health care, education, rather than chasing phantom wars.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RossH
    Just like Saddam's nuclear, chemical and biological program......ohh wait, we never found them (they didn't exist)...

My next question would be to all the Americans who voted yes. What the heck are you guys thinking? What gives the U.S. the right to determine who gets nuclear weapons or nuclear power and who doesn't?

I think if we attack Iran we will bring a whole new war into American homes. We will have proven to Muslims/Arabs every where that we are not fighting for their freedom but fighting to enslave them to puppet governments that we control.

Most moderate Muslims/Arabs have sat back and know that we have been going after the extremeist who attacked us. If we were to do this we ould have the entire race/religion ready to fight us. We will have suicide bombers that will willingly blow themselves up in our malls, schools, churches, etc. We will live just like the Israeli's do now and that is no way to live.

When Saddam was in power in Iraq there were no terrorist. He would not allow them there as he knew they would challenge his power and he often killed them. We have now turned Iraq into a nation of terrorist and for every single one we kill we create ten. Iraq is already turning into another Vietnam, we don't need any other facts.

The other thing I'd just like to say as many of the Americans in this thread don't probably know is that Iran is the only true democracy in the Middle East. It is funny to me that we embrace democracy when it fits our ideals but we wish to crush it when it does not agree with us.
    I'd expect somebody who quotes himself in his signature to have something a bit more circumspect to say about geo-politics. I was wrong.

The President swears and oath to the Constitution of the United States and nothing else. If you read my initial post, I would like to know if this country had a nuclear bomb detonated on our soil whose fuel came from an Iranian plant would you ask the question about "right". What gives Iran the "right" to not be attacked under such circumstances. International law and custom recognizes the right of sovereign nations to wage war in the protection of its citizens.

Iraq is hardly a nation of terrorists. A majority of the insurgents come from outside the country. Much of the insurgency has little to do with the U.S. being there anyhow and has as much to do with preventing a Shia dominated Iraq and destroying years of favorable treatment of the Sunni population.

Are Iranians Arab? I'd like your expert explanation on what the relationship is between the Arabic world and those in Iran.

There were no terrorists in Iraq when Saddam was in power? I think there is a sizable population of Shias and Kurds who would like your expert analysis on this. Please go and tell them that. Please also tell the people of Israel who lost loved ones to Suicide Bombers whose families received $50,000 for the noble act (not terrorism mind you because you say there were no terrorists in Iraq).

Oh wait, we never thought they had WMD? No, we were sure they once had them. There was no question about that. Might they have been destroyed or moved? Yes and Pres. Bush will have to live with the fact that they were never found. It causes unspeakable glea to many as they can demonize him as they always wanted to and not what was being attempted. I can tell you as a person who had scuds flying over my head and friends in the breach that U.S. Intelligence was convinced he had them and would use them against us as we moved up into Iraq. Of course, people conveniently forget the reasons for decisions, assign consipatorial notions that they cannot support with history, and then continue in their own disjointed, delusional view of the world where American foreign policy is the true force of evil in this world. Convenient belief system for folks who live in vacuums isolated from history or the horrors of humanity throughout the world.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek
      0 Not allowed!

No won't support USA,
      0 Not allowed!

I honestly think another bloody war is not in the interests of the US or the world. Surely, I do not want to see Iran getting nuclear weapons but I'd like to see the UN and the nuclear watchdog to take care of it.
      0 Not allowed!

I dont think were stealing oil from anyone... If you look at our ridiculous gas prices you can clearly tell we dont steal it...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RandyT
    I dont think were stealing oil from anyone... If you look at our ridiculous gas prices you can clearly tell we dont steal it...
    If it were true we were there just for Iraq's oil, then we could've easily bought it from Saddam himself at a price that we set and wouldn't have any free-market competition. Instead, we went in and opened up the Iraqi oil fields to the free-market economy and eventually the market will decide the price for Iraqi oil. I just don't see any facts from the left when they claim that this war was all about oil, because if that's all it was about there would have been more simpler and cost effective ways about going and getting it (lives and money). IF it had been for oil, then they were pretty stupid, because they can't even keep the oil pipeline up and running because the terrorists are constantly bombing it trying to keep the Iraqi economy in shambles. I am not sure if Iraq had WMDs when we went in there but it is quite clear from recent events in history that Saddam wanted WMDs and was willing to use them. Had we destroyed all of them? I don't know. Could they have been shipped to neighboring Lebanon and Syria? Maybe. Could this be why Syrian intelligence officials (probably) murdered Lebanon's president? Maybe. We'll never know, but the fact is, that when we went in there there weren't WMD, but we clearly thought that Saddam had them and knew from history that he had no problems with using them on his own people. Every other week we're finding new mass graves that Saddam and his henchemen made... I do think GWB and his advisors should have done more post-war reconstruction planning and if we had done it more carefully we might not have been in this mess; but there's really no way to tell.

At this point; I don't really support an all out war with Iran (further isolation and blockades are another story). I would like to see Russia and China doing their part in helping us convince the Iranian regime to give up their nuclear arms, however, that's not going to happen anytime soon because Russia and Iran both have defense treaties together. We'll just have to see how this plays out in the next few months and hope that the Iranian people themselves can sort out their own affairs. I'm sick and tired of the USA having to go in and clean up other people's messes, but if they are a threat to us then I would support taking out their leadership 100%.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RossH

Most moderate Muslims/Arabs have sat back and know that we have been going after the extremeist who attacked us. If we were to do this we ould have the entire race/religion ready to fight us. We will have suicide bombers that will willingly blow themselves up in our malls, schools, churches, etc. We will live just like the Israeli's do now and that is no way to live.
    Iranians aren't Arabic.

P.S. We already have a lot of Muslims willing to do that to us.
      0 Not allowed!

Iranians aren't Arabic
    Yep

Iran = Persia, it has no links with arabs, it was invaded by turks, mongols and greeks too i think.

Just to add to the comments on a war between USA and Iran, iran is NOT Iraq, or Afghanistan, so don't think its going to be as easy going as them two! noone in iran WILL run away from the americans if any war breaks out!

Iran has a PROUD history of maintaininf IRAQ from its boarders, (IRAN IRAQ WAR from the 1980's where iraq was the 4th lasrgest army in the world at the time and fully supported by britain and america giving them chemical weapons WHICH THEY USED ON IRANIANS , effects are still visible on soliders of war, iran was forced to trade oil VERY cheaply in the black market for weopons, iran at the time was NOT fighting against iraq, though fighting agaisnt iraq and its allies!

If it comes to it again, they will be ready, i am british born, though artly Iranian, and i would proudly defend my homeland with my life from anyone who even thinks about going milimeteres near it.

It is iran's RIGHT to have nuclear ENERGY AND NUCLEAR weapons, Iran's history is much more peaceful than America's and britains. Iran has no record of ATTACKING a country starting a war, using chemical weapons against a country.

Unlike the usa, using the atomic bomb, chemical weapons etc.

You cannot just say we can have something extra but you cant because we dont like you religion, regime, or the person who runs your country! it gives noone that right to say "i am GOD" if you have the tehnology you have the FULL right to go ahead abd build the technology and i reccon due to the fact iran backed down and stopped its nuclear tech further (temproarily) is because they bought the nuke bomb from the black market (YES the technology is there, i belive it was an indian scientist!)
    Last edited by Directory; 06-18-2005 at 07:24 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Directory

It is iran's RIGHT to have nuclear ENERGY AND NUCLEAR weapons, Iran's history is much more peaceful than America's and britains. Iran has no record of ATTACKING a country starting a war, using chemical weapons against a country.

Unlike the usa, using the atomic bomb, chemical weapons etc.

You cannot just say we can have something extra but you cant because we dont like you religion, regime, or the person who runs your country! it gives noone that right to say "i am GOD" if you have the tehnology you have the FULL right to go ahead abd build the technology and i reccon due to the fact iran backed down and stopped its nuclear tech further (temproarily) is because they bought the nuke bomb from the black market (YES the technology is there, i belive it was an indian scientist!)
    The U.S.A. used an atomic bomb on a country that attacked them. They didn't decide one morning to just drop a bomb because they are the U.S.

The U.S. doesn't think they are God, but honestly, I trust the U.S. with these nukes than I trust any other country. Sure, the U.S. can reak havoc on the world with these nukes, but the U.S. isn't one to attempt to just take power by using them. They don't just go around attacking countries because they want to.

You are extremely bias against the U.S from all your posts. If you don't like the U.S. fine. Sure, the U.S. has problems (like every country), but the U.S. will NOT allow any other country to attack them. They will fight and they will defend themselves. And if that means that they have to use nukes, chemical weapons or any other means necessary to terminate the enemy from future attacks, well they will do it it.
      0 Not allowed!

the whole point is iran is NO threat to usa at all, there hasn't been a single attack to any country, a terrorism act from iran AT ALL twards ANY country, yet they say iran is an issue and we must stop them, i dont hate usa, i just hate bush and his pathetic group, i have many friends in the usa ^^

The fact is iran's BEST technology right now EVEN with a nuke can only reach Isreal, and thats what the whole issue is about, because iran hates isreal because it gets all the help from usa etc. You see if you watch iranian tv, you see footages you dont see in tv in Britain anyways! (maybe you see them on the net too!)

Like a palistinian boy throwing stone at a tank, or a solider and getting shot (not dead just in the leg or something) it fires people up with anger! Thats the only reasone. But if you goto iran RIGHT now you say you are from the USA or UK, you will see the hospitality you recieve from them, i am not sure from usa, but here if i say i am half iranian, everyone looks at me, then first thing comes to their mind is "terrorist" ! thats a keyword they linked to iran yet iran has commited to terrorist acts. Its actually a very rather peaceful country untill it is threatened by countryied like isreal WHO openly threat iran to bomb them!
      0 Not allowed!

Yep

because they bought the nuke bomb from the black market (YES the technology is there, i belive it was an indian scientist!)
    actually it was a pakistani muslim scientist. he was not even really punished either. still free in his country.

so that makes a great point - islamic states that have the technology are already peddling it to who knows what peopel out there. this is exactly what everyone was afraid of . thanks for reminding us of that.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheSpidre
    Iran's nuclear facilities? Iran's 2000+ km range missiles?

And Iran does have "some" oil, they have worlds second biggest oil reserves, Iraq was just numbre 3

Last I checked Iran was a lot farther away from the US than 2000km. What business is it of the US if Iran decides they need to defend themselves from potential aggressors like Israel?

Originally posted by TheSpidre
    Iran has nuclear facilities everywhere and have some centrifuges for their uranium enrichment programm.

And they have no plans to show the UN what they are doing with their nuclear facilities.
    So does Israel. So does India. So does Pakistan. So does N. Korea. Why doesn't the US attack them?

Originally posted by sailor

first of all - I think we have gotten our payback and made a point in the middle east that if you come over hear or you harrass our citizens we are going to bring a lot of trouble to your doorstep.
    Come on sailor. You are smarter than that.
    What message did you send? That you would attack a lame duck country to make some sort of point?
    Where are the majority of terrorists coming from? Saudi Arabia.
    You want to make a point. Attack them.
    Every other country in the Middle East is sitting back and laughing at the US as some kind of absurd joke. They know that Iraq was a lame duck war.
    They should probably thank the US for getting terrorists out of their countries and into Iraq.

Originally posted by Rob83
    I trust the U.S. with these nukes than I trust any other country.
    It's very funny that you would trust the only nation to every actually use nuclear type weapons against another country more than you would trust others with them. Pretty hypocritical really.

Originally posted by Rob83
    the U.S. will NOT allow any other country to attack them. They will fight and they will defend themselves. And if that means that they have to use nukes, chemical weapons or any other means necessary to terminate the enemy from future attacks, well they will do it it.
    By making this statement you are also justifying every other country the use of nuclear and chemical weapons.
    You are not better than the terrorists if this is your attitude.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by blue27

It's very funny that you would trust the only nation to every actually use nuclear type weapons against another country more than you would trust others with them. Pretty hypocritical really.

Wow we were forced to use it because they wouldnt give up. What if they beat the US, then they would have went to Canada and Canada would have given up faster then the US reacted to Pearl Harbor. (BTW it was a pretty fast reaction.)

Oh and by the way, we are one of the most democratic nations so we vote we have a goverment who votes for it, in Iran an official or w.e you want to call the head guys in the army could just launch it like it happend in Russia a while back. (They didnt launch it, Im just saything this because the generals of Russia were giving orders without asking the chief or w.e they call em back then )
      0 Not allowed!

Wow we were forced to use it because they wouldnt give up. What if they beat the US, then they would have went to Canada and Canada would have given up faster then the US reacted to Pearl Harbor. (BTW it was a pretty fast reaction.)

So are you really trying to suggest that because a few Japanese planes attacked Pearl Harbour that the US mainland was somehow in jeopardy?

You are kidding right? You have to be. Nobody could be this misinformed.

Tell me you are just joking. Forced to use the bombs. That's rich.

Time to break out the reality stick.
      0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blue27
    [B]
    Come on sailor. You are smarter than that.
    What message did you send? That you would attack a lame duck country to make some sort of point?
    Where are the majority of terrorists coming from? Saudi Arabia.
    You want to make a point. Attack them.
    Every other country in the Middle East is sitting back and laughing at the US as some kind of absurd joke. They know that Iraq was a lame duck war.
    They should probably thank the US for getting terrorists out of their countries and into Iraq.
    [quote]

I actually agree with you on that. and in fact gw came out and said it tonight. the main fact there is not really that we went in a beat up sadam - but we have created a main front war on terrorism that did not exist. the us was not ready or able to respond to a distributed terrorist attack - our laws and society are not ready for the totalitarianistic approach necessary to deal with terrorism effectively in a distributed manner - too much emphsis is on individual rights to allow us to be effective. this military action is the us way to get them to fight us on our terms. it is the only way I know of to gather them into one area in a sort of pseudo army that our forces can see and touch to fight.

if they were really smart they would leave iraq and start **** all over the place in little ways. however - they are not that smart and are gathering in iraq to meet their maker.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000
      0 Not allowed!

Like a typical thread on WHT, this thread is also taking all possible turns..

Lets see what's next
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by sailor it is the only way I know of to gather them into one area in a sort of pseudo army that our forces can see and touch to fight.

if they were really smart they would leave iraq and start **** all over the place in little ways. however - they are not that smart and are gathering in iraq to meet their maker. [/B]
    You mean they were gathering in Anbar Province where US military just killed 50 terrorists and caputured more than 100.
      0 Not allowed!

So are you really trying to suggest that because a few Japanese planes attacked Pearl Harbour that the US mainland was somehow in jeopardy?

You are kidding right? You have to be. Nobody could be this misinformed.

Tell me you are just joking. Forced to use the bombs. That's rich.

Time to break out the reality stick.
    A few Japenes planes?

Facts:
    Japanese used 31 ships
    Japenese used 353 raiding planes
    Americans lost: 2,403
    Americans wounded: 1,178
    American ships sunk: 5
    American Planes destroyed: 188
    American Planes damaged: 162

Dont hate us because we know how to fight and protect ourselves before we get our asses kicked.
      0 Not allowed!

Just to add to the comments on a war between USA and Iran, iran is NOT Iraq, or Afghanistan, so don't think its going to be as easy going as them two! noone in iran WILL run away from the americans if any war breaks out!
    I totally agree!! Of course there are many Iranians who do not like the current regime in Iran. However, they know that their government wants the best for the whole Iran.

Do you think Saddam was liked by the Iraqi's with all those mass graves, starvations because you're not backing the ba'ath regime etc.??

Where did Iraq's oil go?? To Saddam's (underground) missile-proof palace's everywhere, or the russian prostitutes??

Iran's government wants:
    - Nuclear technology because oil and gas are running out, and unlinke other regimes, the ayatollah's want an economic strong Iran that will last for many years, not just the 50 coming years while they have some oil
    - Nuclear weapons because they want to keep their borders like they are now, to protect their country.

Do you think the Iranians wont stay behind the regime's plans??

Of course, the Iranians will not tolerate an american invasion, Iranians never started a war, the Iraq/Iran war was started by the USA/Iraqi government not Iran!

Iran has a PROUD history of maintaininf IRAQ from its boarders, (IRAN IRAQ WAR from the 1980's where iraq was the 4th lasrgest army in the world at the time and fully supported by britain and america giving them chemical weapons WHICH THEY USED ON IRANIANS , effects are still visible on soliders of war, iran was forced to trade oil VERY cheaply in the black market for weopons, iran at the time was NOT fighting against iraq, though fighting agaisnt iraq and its allies!
    Totally agree, let's not forget that MOST Iranians who wanted an invasion by USA have changed their mind after seeing the whole mess in Iraq..

Iran is a bigger, stronger country and most of the Iranians are behind their regime. Of course their government is not perfect, but their government want the best for their country..

Thats the only reasone. But if you goto iran RIGHT now you say you are from the USA or UK, you will see the hospitality you recieve from them, i am not sure from usa, but here if i say i am half iranian, everyone looks at me, then first thing comes to their mind is "terrorist" ! thats a keyword they linked to iran yet iran has commited to terrorist acts. Its actually a very rather peaceful country untill it is threatened by countryied like isreal WHO openly threat iran to bomb them!
    I agree with you again bro, especially about foreigners..

I've been to Syria (A so-called "terrorist state"and "axis of evil") and the first thing that comes to my mind is the respect and hospitality from the Syrians.

They see us as foreigners who are interested in knowing their culture, country etc. and have full respect for this.

I can even guarrantee you, if you are in a restaurant for exameple, they will treat you better than a syrian customer!!

Of course, the whole game changes, when you tell them, "I'm going to occupy your country, kill your family, destroy the country''s infrastructure".. But hey, isn't it a normal behaviour to start hating such person??

Last I checked Iran was a lot farther away from the US than 2000km. What business is it of the US if Iran decides they need to defend themselves from potential aggressors like Israel?

So does Israel. So does India. So does Pakistan. So does N. Korea. Why doesn't the US attack them?
    Blue27, I'm just saying what Iran wants/hides (a little), but I still accept it.

They want nuclear power plants? let them build those with their money.. They want to protect their country by keeping some weapons? Why not, if they think they need it to keep their borders, let them decide..
    I wish I was a carpenter
      0 Not allowed!

Absolutely no support. Not only is it obviously hypocritical on the USA Administration's part (they have numerous times the amount of nukes than anyone), they have a right to protect themselves. And that's all I personally believe they would use the weapons for: protection.
    Liam - iFuse Technologies Limited
    iFuseHosting - Shared, VPS, Reseller & Dedicated.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by sailor
    I actually agree with you on that. and in fact gw came out and said it tonight. the main fact there is not really that we went in a beat up sadam - but we have created a main front war on terrorism that did not exist. the us was not ready or able to respond to a distributed terrorist attack - our laws and society are not ready for the totalitarianistic approach necessary to deal with terrorism effectively in a distributed manner - too much emphsis is on individual rights to allow us to be effective. this military action is the us way to get them to fight us on our terms. it is the only way I know of to gather them into one area in a sort of pseudo army that our forces can see and touch to fight.

if they were really smart they would leave iraq and start **** all over the place in little ways. however - they are not that smart and are gathering in iraq to meet their maker.
    The only problem with this theory Sailor is that the terrorist force is not as centralized as Bush and his crew would like people to believe.
    This can be witnessed in the number of US embassies that have been shut down recently due to insecure conditions.
    It can also be witnessed in the growing insurgency much of it Taliban based in Afghanistan.

A few Japenes planes?

Facts:
    Japanese used 31 ships
    Japenese used 353 raiding planes
    Americans lost: 2,403
    Americans wounded: 1,178
    American ships sunk: 5
    American Planes destroyed: 188
    American Planes damaged: 162

Dont hate us because we know how to fight and protect ourselves before we get our asses kicked.

You mean like how you protected yourselves from 2 planes taking down the World Trade Center?

Where in your little story does it point out there was any danger to the US mainland or that use of hydrogen bombs was justified?
    You can talk your silly little "we kicked ***" talk all you like. That may impress some of your little buddies but trust me, outside of the US it just sounds like shallow rhetoric.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast