Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal?

Illegal?

Metallica Bootlegs/2-3-89 Erwin Events Center, Austin, TX/met890203d1_01_Blackened.mp3
    Metallica Bootlegs/2-3-89 Erwin Events Center, Austin, TX/met890203d1_02_For_Whom_the_Bell_Tolls.mp3
    /Metallica Bootlegs/2-3-89 Erwin Events Center, Austin, TX/met890203d1_03_Welcome_Home_Sanitarium.mp3

This guy swears metallica gave him permissions to share these songs... would that hold any truth? Ive never heard of anything of the sort.... please give me your opinion
    High Quality Low Cost Hosting For all of your hosting needs. Windows and Linux Dedicated, VPS And Shared!
    http://kaveyhosting.com
      0 Not allowed!

This guy swears metallica gave him permissions to share these songs... would that hold any truth? Ive never heard of anything of the sort.... please give me your opinion
    The above songs are on your server correct? If so I would advise disabling them from being downloaded immediately. Fact is whether he ever even spoke to them or not (about a .0000000000001% chance he did) is still irrelevant as he'd need a patent in order to be legally allowed to share any copyrighted works of anyone else, unless they are his own. So, no what he said would not hold up in court.
      0 Not allowed!

kavey,

" To produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally: a clandestine outfit that bootlegs compact discs and tapes."

The definition of a bootleg, he has the answer right in his file name.
      0 Not allowed!

Im almost positive that Metallica would give no one permission to share their songs unless they were making money off it.
      0 Not allowed!

LOL... well I thought maybe I was beeing a bit harsh by not beleiving him... a whole forums opinions are better than one Thanks for the replys all I will definately reconsider him. The last time I caught 9 inch nails on his site he told me a friend of his was in a band and it was his song.
    High Quality Low Cost Hosting For all of your hosting needs. Windows and Linux Dedicated, VPS And Shared!
      0 Not allowed!

If this is not the first time you have caught him with MP3's . I would cancel his account. well thats me personally. I personally would hate to have the RIAA knocking down my door because I had illegal mp3's on my server.
      0 Not allowed!

If he claims he has permission - have him mail you a legal affadavit (ie one notarized or otherwise certified) attesting to the fact. Then if they are illegal you're in the clear and the problem is all his.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."
      0 Not allowed!

I personally would hate to have the RIAA knocking down my door because I had illegal mp3's on my server.

to the OP:
    Yeah I would be cancelling his account 100% if it was not the first offense. When it comes down to illegal information (of any kind mp3 or otherwise) being on a public hosting server... delete first ask questions later. Just how that is, because if the MPAA or some other copyright enforcement agency comes after you well, they are going to have the exact same mentality about your company. I am all about giving people a chance but well as you said this isn't the first time either.
      0 Not allowed!

I only have one word to say about this:

KILL.
      0 Not allowed!

I would terminate this user's account immediately if I was you

Originally posted by printerboyweb
    I only have one word to say about this:

KILL.
    How is your post relevant to this topic?
      0 Not allowed!

Even if Metallica says they don't mind that their songs are distributed for free over the internet, the record companies won't be so happy about it. I would suspend the user before you get legal issues, or before the bandwidth bill explodes.
      0 Not allowed!

I would suspend the account not terminate and offer a backup of there site if they would like it.
      0 Not allowed!

I do agree with Duport, beside that i would unsuspend the account later if the costumer decide to take the mp3 out of the server.
      0 Not allowed!

Well he may have had "permission" per say, as Metallica would tell their fans to share their music in their early years. If those were actually from 1989, then he is only particially correct. As Metallica was THE band that started all the legal battles over P2P music file trading. I would bet that they no longer wish ANY of their work to be traded. No matter what they said in the past.

Needless to say I agree that you should suspend the account and make sure the files are deleted.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Spaceh
    I do agree with Duport, beside that i would unsuspend the account later if the costumer decide to take the mp3 out of the server.
    So you would give them a third chance?
      0 Not allowed!

I would give him a last chance not a 3rd chance
      0 Not allowed!

defo remove his account...

i had a customer with simpsons episodes, and he said that he had permission, this was after i deleted the account.

It really isnt worth the risk having the material on your server, as you are held 100% liable for all content.
      0 Not allowed!

Suspend his account and tell him that you'll unsuspend it when he mails your attorney a legal document stating that he has permission. That should shut him up.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Ive already done that... I did however attempt to contact metallica (or whoever answers their mail) and ask them what they think of it... it is their music afterall but after the first warning this is the end of his account if I cant get something showing it is ok for him to distribute these.
      0 Not allowed!

haha

Originally posted by hoststylez
    Im almost positive that Metallica would give no one permission to share their songs unless they were making money off it.
    The kid is having you on mate. This is illegal. Ban him and the site. Not worth the trouble. Tell him your good friends with band too and that they dont recall you and said sorry no can do!
      0 Not allowed!

Metallica Bootlegs/2-3-89 Erwin Events Center, Austin, TX/met890203d1_01_Blackened.mp3
    Metallica Bootlegs/2-3-89 Erwin Events Center, Austin, TX/met890203d1_02_For_Whom_the_Bell_Tolls.mp3
    /Metallica Bootlegs/2-3-89 Erwin Events Center, Austin, TX/met890203d1_03_Welcome_Home_Sanitarium.mp3
    if metallica gave him permission, he wouldn't be calling them "bootlegs".

Check out his access logs, he's probably recieving alot of traffic from warez sites.

Also, i believe you should learn something about business, and law before starting a hosting company. According to whois records, you only started in april. Which is pretty funny, because you just registered here at wht around that time.
      0 Not allowed!

If you are located in america it is illegal
    If you are in the netherlands.. it is legal THOUGH
    the state secretary has noted that it doesnt have its preference.

The person providing it is committing illegal actions. The person actually hosting is isnt in anyway. However i would let all my users sign a declaration of you being their host and are not suable for actions such as these.
      0 Not allowed!

Actually, you can pay to download the audio tracks to the concerts they have performed, AND share them. We went to a Metallica concert a few months back, and were told to go to their website to pay and download a copy of that perticular concert. We did this, and on the website it specifically said you could distribute copies to friends. I remember thinking this was extremely odd, as they were to first group to sue for online trading of their music. I am telling you the truth when I say that it was legal to trade their live concerts.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mikeylove
    if metallica gave him permission, he wouldn't be calling them "bootlegs".

Check out his access logs, he's probably recieving alot of traffic from warez sites.

Also, i believe you should learn something about business, and law before starting a hosting company. According to whois records, you only started in april. Which is pretty funny, because you just registered here at wht around that time.
    IF you werent such a moron and in a hurry to insult someone you would have read the whole thread... he was suspended before this thread was started. He wanted to tell me it was legal so I made a post to show him how ridiculous the idea of metallica telling him it was ok is. What exactly do I need to learn about business boss? You sure are a smart cookie. You can figure out when I went from reselling to making an actual job of it. According to whois records I registered my new domain in april. Wheres the humor in that? DId every host in here start ten years before they started or something? Or are new companys not allowed in the business anymore? Is it all closed down? If so thats wierd how I still get two to three signups a day.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by jschurawlow
    The above songs are on your server correct? If so I would advise disabling them from being downloaded immediately. Fact is whether he ever even spoke to them or not (about a .0000000000001% chance he did) is still irrelevant as he'd need a patent in order to be legally allowed to share any copyrighted works of anyone else, unless they are his own. So, no what he said would not hold up in court.
    donot disable it, wait it to be hosted untill the owner tells or complains it you , this can save u a lot.

1. by removing it immediately, you might loose your client.

2. It makes your client happy that he has agreed to his terms.

so decide an move.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast