Question Need Advice: Reseller or VPS

I'm a reseller and in the next 3 month I want to switch to other provider that offer more space and bandwith with better uptime and features. But I was read in WHT maybe VPS is a good choice for me.

For now I just have below 30 customer from my web design services, and they just have low traffic static website or Mambo CMS website. Just one of my Mambo customer using about 2Gb bandwith/mo with about 600 visit/day base on AWstats.
    In the next 3 month I plan to expand my hosting business and advertise it. I hope I can get more than 100 new customer by the end of this year.
    I don't need dedicated server yet because the budget.

Is VPS better than reseller?
    Performance?
    Server load?

I don't really need root access, I just need the standard installation for running hosting business and I can offer reseller package to my customer.

I list three VPS provider base on WHT review: Servint, Liquidweb, and PowerVPS.
    I still confuse about several things:
    1. 256Mb RAM Guaranteed, what it's mean? Is RAM for my VPS just 256Mb?
    2. 1G burst RAM, what it's mean?
    3. If another VPS using very much resource, will it affect to my VPS?
    4. What server spec info can I see in the WHM? just 256Mb Ram or 1Gb burst RAM? server spec? etc.

THanks...

"I don't need dedicated server yet because the budget. "

That doesn't mean you don't need one - it just means you can't afford one, big difference.

"Is VPS better than reseller? "

Only if you know what you're doing

"Performance? "

performance can actually be worse - contrary to popular belief but you'll have more control

"Server load?"

what about it?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Re: Need Advice: Reseller or VPS

Originally posted by swalian
    I still confuse about several things:
    1. 256Mb RAM Guaranteed, what it's mean? Is RAM for my VPS just 256Mb?
    2. 1G burst RAM, what it's mean?
    3. If another VPS using very much resource, will it affect to my VPS?
    4. What server spec info can I see in the WHM? just 256Mb Ram or 1Gb burst RAM? server spec? etc.

THanks...
    1> 256 MB Guaranteed RAM means that the minimum available RAM for your VPS will be no less than 256 MB. BTW, 256 MB is actually a lot of RAM, espeically if you can burst to 1 GB. From the description of the sites you listed (being mostly static), you could easily go with 128 or even 64 MB and do just fine.

2> 1 GB burst, means that you are not limited to just the 256 MB if you need a little more temporarily. The system will allow you to use up to 1 GB if it is available at the time you need it. The 1 GB comes out of a pool of sorts that all the VPS on the system share.

3> No, the whole idea behind VPS is that another VPS that is using up all of its resources will not affect yours. You will be operating in a virtual machine.

4> With Virtuozzo, at least, you would see the 1 GB as being the available RAM. If you look at CPUINFO in /proc, you will see the specs of the whole machine.

Hope that helped.

Mark
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

That doesn't mean you don't need one - it just means you can't afford one, big difference.
    Yes, you're right. I mean I can't afford it now .

Only if you know what you're doing
    I just need VPS for running my hosting business.

performance can actually be worse - contrary to popular belief but you'll have more control
    I think I need VPS that fully managed, so I don't need to worry to configure it.

what about it?
    I mean about server load, does the server load better than reseller server load?

Thanks

Re: Re: Need Advice: Reseller or VPS

Originally posted by uneedawebsit
    1> 256 MB Guaranteed RAM means that the minimum available RAM for your VPS will be no less than 256 MB. BTW, 256 MB is actually a lot of RAM, espeically if you can burst to 1 GB. From the description of the sites you listed (being mostly static), you could easily go with 128 or even 64 MB and do just fine.

2> 1 GB burst, means that you are not limited to just the 256 MB if you need a little more temporarily. The system will allow you to use up to 1 GB if it is available at the time you need it. The 1 GB comes out of a pool of sorts that all the VPS on the system share.

3> No, the whole idea behind VPS is that another VPS that is using up all of its resources will not affect yours. You will be operating in a virtual machine.

4> With Virtuozzo, at least, you would see the 1 GB as being the available RAM. If you look at CPUINFO in /proc, you will see the specs of the whole machine.

Hope that helped.

Mark
    Thanks Mark

How about the processor speed? Does it shared too?
    Last edited by swalian; 06-12-2005 at 11:55 PM.

The share of processor speed is something that depends on the VPS and how it is set up. On our Virtuozzo VPS, we have two settings for CPU. One allocates a minimum number of CPU units to the VPS and the other dictates what the maximum CPU usage can be. We set them up so that each individual VPS can burst up to the maximum shared CPU capability available. Other VPS may be set up differently. I can only comment on how we do it.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

swalian,

A properly configured VPS can smoke almost anything - pick a good provider with a semi-managed plan from the getgo (servint for example, has a great included management to some degree - although I have seen their VPS's load quite slow and it wasn't due to improper management)..

That said check a few providers out and let us know the details!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.