I have a trick to check who is reseller

Just a basic trick, by check the IP of domain name and DNS,
    who is the owner of those IPs.

If you lucky, you will see the master hosting website.
    The master maybe colocation server or datacenter hosting.

sometime the resellers can't hide these informations.

website to check owner IP is http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox

fill the domain name or dns name into smart whois.
    And you will see the owner of IP.
    Last edited by taotoon; 06-12-2005 at 08:17 AM.

While that does show who owns the IP block, it doesn't necessarily tell you anything about whether or not the host is a reseller. Most hosts either lease dedicated servers or colocate in a larger data center. The information shown by that link only shows what datacenter they are in and not if they are a reseller.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

I just do a WHOIS on the IP, or do a traceroute. The hops at the end of the traceroute should give you a good idea who owns the IP's.

Yes, it shows the master hosting email in some cases.

Is it good to use hosting that is datacenter ?
    such as hostforweb, servint, burstNet

or look for hosting that have colocation/dedicated services.

Now a day, traceroute don't work anymore ?
    because some router in the world are block that port.
    I never success with traceroute.

I don't think there is any advantage, per se, to hosting with a company that has its own datacenter as opposed to one who rents space in one. There are certainly plenty of quality hosts who use leased servers or colocation.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

uneedawebsit,

Depends on the host/hardware though.
    There are advantages to having someone onsite.
    There are advantages to great hardware (not some leased desktop), etc.

It all depends on the provider, the hardware and the team behind it. Obviously the same team of people could do a better job on leased machines than some hosts could with their own DC: Just all depends!

At the end of the day, if your happy with them and happy with what they've provided you, does it really matter if they're a reseller or not?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

jslivko,

Not at all - but at the first sign of trouble and waiting for three levels of reselling (reseller on a resold dedicated from ev1) to catch up and reboot a server could be a problem .

That said if it works out - all the better for everyone.

Originally posted by HP-David
    jslivko,

Not at all - but at the first sign of trouble and waiting for three levels of reselling (reseller on a resold dedicated from ev1) to catch up and reboot a server could be a problem .

That said if it works out - all the better for everyone.
    David,

I see your point there. I guess my comment is geared more towards common shared hosting than VPS hosting (as long as the first level of reselling is reliable).

However, with the exception of maybe the people trying to run Virtuozzo on their own, everyone else is just reselling another company that is usually more than competent and responsible.

Also, reselling is not always such a bad thing, because for simple issues a reseller might be able to take care of the issue that much faster because of a lightened customer load.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Totally not true!  "Everyone" is not reselling someone else's shared hosting service.

Perhaps all the "$1 dollar/month kiddie hosting companies" that show up (and just as quickly disappear) are resellers of resellers of resellers but although that may be a large percentage of the WHT membership it is not representative of the real web hosting industry by any means!

There is a big difference in choosing a host that is not a reseller, even if servers are running fine.  Resellers are constrained by the software and technology provided to them - they do not have the ability to make any significant changes to the host.

On the other hand, true "owner/operators" such as ourselves can install custom modules, adjust system hardware settings, change server tuning parameters, and do many other things that some clients desire which is simply not possible when one is only a reseller of someone else's cookie-cutter hosting plans.

Originally posted by jslivko
    David,

I see your point there. I guess my comment is geared more towards common shared hosting than VPS hosting (as long as the first level of reselling is reliable).

However, with the exception of maybe the people trying to run Virtuozzo on their own, everyone else is just reselling another company that is usually more than competent and responsible.
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services