100Mbps at serverpronto?

I have a dedicated server at serverpronto.com. This is supposed to be a 100Mbps connection, but I don't get those kinds of speeds. The fastest I have ever downloaded (from a close by kernel.org mirror) is just above 700Kb/sec. mii-tool says "eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok". At another server from another provider, I get 1.1Mb/sec at a 10Mbps connection. So what's the deal with that? Is there some fixable problem or does serverpronto not really provide 100Mbps?

I think you should ask serverpronto to show you their uplinks speed and saturation. Remember even with a gigE local connect to a switch if they then have links that are saturated, your screwed no matter which way you cut it.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Welcome to WHT haakonn !
    It's a 100 mbit connection to the switch.

You are actually quite lucky, as the most I have seen on mine is 550 KB/s...

Originally posted by rotoiti
    Welcome to WHT haakonn !

You are actually quite lucky, as the most I have seen on mine is 550 KB/s...
    And you're still with them? I guess if you don't need speed for your server

Welcome to WHT haakonn !
    Thanks!

You are actually quite lucky, as the most I have seen on mine is 550 KB/s... [/B]
    Well talk about false advertising. There's a pretty huge difference between 100Mbps and the 4-5Mbps you get in practice. Here at home I have a 100Mbps connection to my DSL router, but I don't tell people I have a 100Mbps internet connection, because I don't.

Oh well, the price is fine.

I guess it's time to remind you all of that old adage... "You get what you pay for."

When you pay for ServerPronto... you don't exactly pay for quality... OR speed. Fast and cheap are words seldom placed in the same sentence.

Does it matter that 700KB/sec is the max per connection? When users are downloading from your site; they will all get that 700. Alltogether that is probably way more than your trafficlimit allows

Ok, per connection, that's better then. Thanks.

But obviously when users download they are more likely to be limited by there own speed, not many standard net users can download at 700KB/sec.....

Originally posted by JonaY
    But obviously when users download they are more likely to be limited by there own speed, not many standard net users can download at 700KB/sec.....
    Not exactly true... most people use their servers for speed testing other servers.

And about this whole 700KB/sec issue, that's still 5.6Mbps upload (6Mbps, adjusted for overhead), and that's good, for using such a cheap host (Consider the hardware that you're getting, and consider how much a 6Mbps uplink would cost you.) And as most people tend to mix up bits and bytes, if it were 700 kiloBITS per second... that's still good, considering how much you would pay for bandwidth per Mbps. Hardware, support staff and bandwidth... you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by danclough; 06-12-2005 at 08:00 AM.

flashwiregsn, I do tend to agree, but this limitation should be made clear before you order. You get what you pay for, but they should make clearer what exactly you pay for to get.

Other than this point though, I must say I am very pleased with serverpronto so far. The server was set up very fast, and a support ticket I sent (you only get to send two a month) has been handled fast even at the most inconvenient hours.

adb22791,

It depends how much he is paying for it.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Originally posted by haakonn
    flashwiregsn, I do tend to agree, but this limitation should be made clear before you order. You get what you pay for, but they should make clearer what exactly you pay for to get.

Other than this point though, I must say I am very pleased with serverpronto so far. The server was set up very fast, and a support ticket I sent (you only get to send two a month) has been handled fast even at the most inconvenient hours.
    Well, they do say that each server has a dedicated 100Mbps link to the switch... But once you're past the switch, there are no set guarantees. So, what is happening is that they oversell connections, or their network is just very heavily utilized. Try running a speed test from another ServerPronto server or another server in the same facility, just to rule out internal network restrictions.

Originally posted by JonaY
    I disagree. I know many net users (I am one of them) who can download at more than 2MB/sec. You have Verizon and Fiber Optics to thank for that!

Maxo,
    I would want at least 1MB/sec on my server. I think that 500KB/sec is just way to low.
    But then again serverpronto does have good prices.

100 MBPS is the speed that the server should upload data, I agree for $30 us/mo it's really cheap, but they specify that your server will run at 100mbps upload, and if it doesn't it's fraud, even if you pay 2 dollars per month.

Maybe 100mbps is the speed of the datacenter and that 100mbps are divided between all the servers.

Even though, serverpronto looks awful, I'm looking for a dedicated server, but i prefer to pay $150 us/month for a pretty good server at sago than $30 us/month at serverpronto.

Fraud?
    "eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok"
    He's exactly getting what he orderred.

The internet is unpredictable; you never know which route is being used. You cannot guarantee high speed to everywhere. Even your 5 times more expensive server isn't capable of that.

Originally posted by fushy
    100 MBPS is the speed that the server should upload data, I agree for $30 us/mo it's really cheap, but they specify that your server will run at 100mbps upload, and if it doesn't it's fraud, even if you pay 2 dollars per month.

Maybe 100mbps is the speed of the datacenter and that 100mbps are divided between all the servers.

Even though, serverpronto looks awful, I'm looking for a dedicated server, but i prefer to pay $150 us/month for a pretty good server at sago than $30 us/month at serverpronto.
    No, it says nowhere on the Serverpronto site that you have a 100Mbps link to the INTERNET. It says that you have a 100Mbps link to the SWITCH. That's a big difference. They do not specify, anywhere on their site, guaranteed bandwidth past their routers and switches.

And yes, most of the time, the extra investment with a good, stable and worthwhile provider is worth it.

OK, maybe it isn't fraud, it says '100 mbps connection', they do not specify, but i think they are kinda stupid, all ethernet ports work at 100 mbps between local machines and hub (most), so i can't understand why they say 100 mbps, so what they're planning to do is to thief costumers, making them thinking they have a 100 mbps while they don't.

ServerPronto sucks!

Many providers (and many network cards, and many hubs, and many switches) provide 10 Mbps connections, not 100 Mbps.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Originally posted by adb22791
    And you're still with them? I guess if you don't need speed for your server
    I don't need much speed on that particular server. For $30 per month for a real dedicated server I will stay with them.

so i can't understand why they say 100 mbps, so what they're planning to do is to thief costumers, making them thinking they have a 100 mbps while they don't.

ServerPronto sucks!
    I disagree. RTFA (A is for agreement).

Most everone here knows that unless you got big bold letters GUARANTEED BANDWIDTH all around the place, the bandwidth is not guaranteed. I would have to be completely out of my mind to actually believe that I can get 100 mbps guaranteed bandwidth for $30 per month.

I dont see anywhere them guaranteeing you can reach 100megabits speeds ... you are on a 100megabit PORT.. that is all.

OK, maybe it isn't fraud, it says '100 mbps connection', they do not specify, but i think they are kinda stupid, all ethernet ports work at 100 mbps between local machines and hub (most), so i can't understand why they say 100 mbps, so what they're planning to do is to thief costumers, making them thinking they have a 100 mbps while they don't.

ServerPronto sucks!
    You dont get it. Locally it works on 100Mbit. And even to the internet you're probably able to get 100Mbit total.
    Maybe not 100Mbit per connection, maybe you need a few more connections/threads. So what? Like you only got 1 visitor on your website

btw, if I try to download something from your $150 server, it only goes 200KB/sec! Thats even worse than serverpronto! Your server SUCKS!

Actually the bottleneck is in my home connection, that does only allow 200KB/sec. Just like with this serverpronto one; the bottleneck is probably somewhere else, outside their local network.

What if you got 750 active users, 25 of them downloading files at 105 kbps.

Well, they don't specify at which speed will the connection run at, internal connection doesn't really matters, 100 mbps is a lot! but of course it has no importance, because most networks run at 100 mbps.

What i'm trying to explain is that they show "100mbps connection" and they're trying to make you think your server really runs at 100mbps, and you might need those 100mbps for your site to run successful, so they making a thief.

I think you're the one who's not understanding.

Not quite, you made a flawed assumption because you didn't look into what you were buying.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

A 100mbps port does not significate you will get 100mbps speed to anywhere on the Internet !!! ServerPronto does not control the routes you use to get to other web sites and those routes can be saturated or can slow your download speed. If ServerPronto gives you a 100mbps port and that their pipes are not saturated they are delivering what they promised.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Exactly, when you ask for a file from a server 4 states away from you, unless their pipes are nice and there are no issues between you and your server. I had a server from 1and1.com once, I only got speeds under 1 MBps, however doing a speed test from that server in New Jersey with a speakeasy server in New York gave me a nice 89 Mbps up and down. I live down here in Dallas, you must realize that reaching ur maximum speed from a server located far from you will never happen. Try doing a speed test of that server with a server located close to it.

Well, I don't care about a close location to the server, i care about global speed.

did you talk to them about it..?

May there is a reason for that happening... check with them first... and then post back here..

haha serverpronto/infolink

This company is a joke. Not only their network disconnects periodically every day, their support service is one of the worst I have ever seen.

I had a server which created hard drive problems/lost files. They ignored that and now server is down. Tech support does not replace hard drive and asking for some 70 dollars.

Haha customer service is also the same. They require written notification before 30 days and they ask you to fax to a number which is not a fax, not working.

Anyway I had more than enough with this company, beware not to deal with them since you would end up payin more where you think you save.

I can only reiterate this. Steer clear.

Please start your own thread next time, this thread is almost a year old.

But yes, when you pay $30 for a server what do you expect?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    Please start your own thread next time, this thread is almost a year old.

But yes, when you pay $30 for a server what do you expect?

Well, only thing i expect is honesty which they do not have. Money is nothing since I use it for work and company pays for it.
    I am not using anything on the server, no load, no bandwith, ok its cheap but that's not an excuse for not canceling account or not replacing bad hard drive.

Anyway company got a server at ev1 which works fine. I am sure they wont ignore me when hard disk fails and server crashes.

Server Pronto 100Mbit/sec - SOLVED

Just came across this thread, everyone's getting all worked up for no reason.
    I questioned the speed also a while ago -- submitted a ticket
    They kindly explained to me that its their policy to limit to around 4Mbit/sec, as most users don't need more, and they want to make sure that people's servers don't get hacked, use a ridiculous amount of bandwidth, and then they're unable to cover the costs.

Within minutes they removed the limit on my port, by request.

Since then I get far higher speeds from my server -- I've even gotten 8-9Mega BYTES/sec between their server in Florida and Voxel Value Bandwidth (Cogent) in NYC. Good stuff.

Although Serverpronto can provide you with their MRTG graphs for your port, its rather unreliable, and as they emphasize, its not for billing, just reference.
    I've setup my own MRTG to monitor my bandwidth usage, to ensure I don't go over the 200GB/mo limit.
    ---
    May this post be indexed by spiders, and archived for all to see as my internet epitaph.
    MikeSchroll.com

...if you are able to cancel with ServerPronto, please let me know.
    I've been trying for months now.
    They're charging my creditcard for a dead server, even though I've cancelled twice a month.

They've replied that I need to fax them the cancellation.
    I signed up online, and I don't have access to a fax machine.

Their fax machine never works, dont even try to fax something.

Just call bank and ask for fraud processing.

They are worst of all.