Thread: Gym..

Gym..

I've recently started going to the gym again 3-4 times a week, curious who else goes..what they do, if they take any classes etc...it's very important.

The gym isn't cheap by any means, it's actually roughly $3-5 a visit for me depending on how often I go, but it's amazing, all new equipment, very good atmosphere and it's something I can force myself to do every morning....

If anyone's in Houston and is looking for a Gym, I highly recommend fitathletic.com...but otherwise, who goes? What is your schedule?

Most of us sit at a computer at least 6-8 hours a day, 30 minutes to a hour of a minimum of cardio is very important.

I run 6 mi on Tues, Thurs, and Sat, and 4.5 mi on Sun and finish up with an ab workout

On Mon, Wed, Fri I go to the gym and do 45 minutes on the Elliptical trainer to give my knees a break and read. After I finish I do the following circuit:

20 pullups (great back, lat, bicep, and forearm workout)
    30 pushups (great chest and tricep workout)
    10 tricep dips (triceps)
    10 curls (biceps)
    10 military press (shoulder)
    10 tricep pulldowns (triceps)

I repeat that circuit 4 more times but I only do 18, 16, 15, and then 13 pullups in the follow on circuits

I go from one station to the next with very little break. It's a great circuit that gives great upper body strength but does not sacrifice endurance.

I finish with a 5 minute ab workout. I do abs every day and have never had any back problems. My ab workout consists of the following:

30 leg thrusts
    30 flutter clicks
    30 leg windmills
    200 hand behind the head crunches
    100 cross arm crunches

The gym is free for me since I'm a Marine. When I go to CA soon for a bit I'll have to pay $10 a visit to go to Gold's gym. What a ripoff but I gotta work out.
    Last edited by DevilDog; 06-11-2005 at 02:06 PM.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I hit the gym 5 times a week, have been for several years.

Mondays I hit the chest
    Tuesdays I hit Bi's / Abs
    Wednesdays I hit the shoulders
    Thursdays I have off
    Fridays I hit the back
    Saturdays I hit legs / tri's

The program setup really depends, but mostly I work out together with a friend of mine who is a pro PT, we push eachother to the limit almost every day with new exercises and new combo's of sets/reps. In general however we never go above 8 reps, just to make sure we add muscle mass.

I'm currently at 232lbs and 10.2% bf..want to get below the 9% mark before the summer is over hehe..so I have some work left to do. If I didn't get to hit the gym as much as I do, I'd feel like **** by the end of the week..talk about being a lift-a-holic hehe..

oh and hey nickn, if you want some url's to great training boards, just throw a pm in my direction..I'll let ya know
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

I try and go whenever possible and my workout varies.
    Normally my workout is like this:
    With no stops in between...

10 minutes running
    10 minutes cycling
    10 minutes on the step machine
    50 of whatever equipment I can get onto (normally 50 x 4)
    As many sit-ups I can do in a minute
    As many pressups I can do before collapsing
    A few minutes of boxing
    Then I go swimming...

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Originally posted by nickn
    Impressive

Especially if you manage to do hosting as well
    Nick,

I'm a Marine. I kind of get paid to stay in shape.

Rich
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I pay zip... to visit the gym...

it only takes me few steps to get there. ( basement ) :-D

You know speaking of building your own gym I bought these really cool weights made by Power Block: http://www.powerblock.com/frame.html

It's like having a bunch of dumbbells from 10 lbs to 45 lbs in 5 lb increments. They have others that go even heavier. It's great for me because I move so often.

My wife uses those to work out with primarily. I use them when I have a day off.
    Rich