View Poll Results: Your make of computer?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dell

17 20.73%
  • HP

15 18.29%
  • Packard Bell

2 2.44%
  • Toshiba

0 0%
  • Medion

1 1.22%
  • Sony

5 6.10%
  • Homemade

38 46.34%
  • Other

21 25.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the make of your computer?

I’ve only ever used two makes of computer – Quantex and Medion – and for a day or two I used a Packard Bell. Now though I only use Medion, and have two Medion laptops and one Medion desktop; and I’m thinking of maybe even getting another Medion computer.

So, what make of computer do you use? Do you make your own, or are you loyal to a certain brand, or do you simply go for the cheapest?

Years ago this one used to be a Packard Bell. Now the only thing left of it is the case and the floppy drive. Everything else has either been upgraded or fixed.

My experiences with it are that a Packard Bell is something to avoid in the future.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Both of mine are homemade and my laptop is made by sony.
    ...loading

Main workstation is a homebuilt (CoolerMaster case, asus mobo, athlon), Notebook is IBM, Servers are HP and Compaq.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Home Made Recipe
    for my home PC.

Athlon64 3200+ on MSI (Neo3)
    We've cleaned up the air, but polluted our souls,
    We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice,
    We write more, but learn less.
    [WHTHOLIC]

Mine is home made, however my last desktop was a Gateway.

Mine is homebuilt. I had a Dell 2300 before this machine.

Copied from my signature on another forum...

CPU = AMD Athlon XP 2700
    Cooling = Kingwin AWC-1 Water cooling kit
    MB = Gigabyte GA-7NNXP Bios Version F20
    RAM = 512MB Corsair XMS
    GPU = eVGA GeForce 6600 GT
    HDD = Maxtor 30GB <-- OS
    HDD = Maxtor 120GB <-- 2 partitions, my stuff
    PSU = Allied Truepower 500 Watt
    Case = Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Black
    Optical = HP DVD640i burner /w Lightscribe

I made mine, and a local shop built my old one.

"Home built" is perhaps a better description than "Homemade" since no one actually makes any parts on their own.

My husband built mine out of a combination of spare parts and some that I bought.

AMD processor, Gigabyte mobo, Twinmoss RAM, 4G SCSI boot disk/40G WD secondary HD, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, Matrox vidcard (I recently fried my BFG so this was what was available as a spare), Plextor CD-ROM, generic floppy, Motorola wireless, Chenbro midtower case.

Nothing particularly exciting or cutting edge, but it was a huge step up from the old PowerMac 8500 (120mhz) that I had previously. And going from dialup to sharing cable, wow, how did I ever live like that?

Originally posted by Virago
    "Home built" is perhaps a better description than "Homemade" since no one actually makes any parts on their own.

My husband built mine out of a combination of spare parts and some that I bought.

AMD processor, Gigabyte mobo, Twinmoss RAM, 4G SCSI boot disk/40G WD secondary HD, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, Matrox vidcard (I recently fried my BFG so this was what was available as a spare), Plextor CD-ROM, generic floppy, Motorola wireless, Chenbro midtower case.

Nothing particularly exciting or cutting edge, but it was a huge step up from the old PowerMac 8500 (120mhz) that I had previously. And going from dialup to sharing cable, wow, how did I ever live like that?
    Picky enough?

My workstation is home-built. The laptop is a Dell. The other two desktops are HPs. The NFS/NAS server is an ollld gateway.

I've really liked HP's desktop systems...

All four of my current computers have been built by myself, but in the past, I've had one or two Compaqs. It find it more enjoyable to build them myself, plus it's a good learning experience .

Dell refurb here, 3.4 with 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HD and a nVidia GeForce 6800 Great system @ $850. Got to love Dell refurbs (after the initial power supply failure).
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

The Antec-Abit-Intel-Kingston-Radeon-Creative-Leadtek-Maxtor-WD brand.

AAIKRCLMW for short.

Originally posted by alpha
    AAIKRCLMW for short.
    I'll watch for the commercials
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

4-year-old (or is it 5? Can't remember now) Dell Dimension 4300, here, though I'm going to build my next one.

I made my own.

Mine is called AIM (Area Idea Mechanics) and its one of the crappiest computers i have ever seen!!!!! -- I am just happy i got it working as good as i do!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

My Main computer is homemade (custom built) the rest in the house are a few eMachines that I picked up for guest computers and file servers
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

My computer is homemade. I also have a few eMachines, old IBM's and DIGITALs, and an HP laptop

I've got 2 eMachines, and love them.
    --

Make my own,only way to go
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting

I have a dell desktop and also a ibm desktop and a dell laptop. All really good.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

My main PC is a generic brand/self-assembled P4. My server is a self-assembled AMD box. I'm planning to assemble an entertainment PC.

Soon I'll be purchasing a Powerbook for a laptop.

Previously, I've owned Compaq Laptops, E-machines desktops and Gateway workstations. The best laptops (imho) are built by IBM. They really put some good features in their laptops (like metal hinges for the screens).

Apple's laptops are also good if you need a solid portable ... hopefully their prices will go down after they switch to Intel-based chips.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Mine is an assembled PC, made by myself

Got an Alienware Desktop (Aurora DDR) and Alienware Laptop (Sentia)
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

Custom built all the way
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    The only way to discover the limits of the possibilities is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Well i have a few rigs, The older ones are all Packard Bell (2 of the p3's) My old laptop a fujitsu siemens.
    My main rig is a custom build and alot better for me that anything you can buy as its tailored to my needs, Low GFX lots of ram!
    Regards,

Athlon XP 1800+, 1.53GHz, 512mb RAM. Certainly not the best, but I can have Opera open, with several tabs open in Opera, Photoshop open, Textpad open, FileZilla open, and a few folders, and it has no trouble at all, that is all I need.
    - Jamie Harrop

Originally posted by Equentity - Jamie
    Athlon XP 1800+, 1.53GHz, 512mb RAM. Certainly not the best, but I can have Opera open, with several tabs open in Opera, Photoshop open, Textpad open, FileZilla open, and a few folders, and it has no trouble at all, that is all I need.
    Thats like i said thats the biggest advantage with a custom buid, prebuilts tend to try and cater for all markets and usually work out alot expensiver too and with a custom build you use quality parts where as the manuafactures like dell use the lowest grade of compnents and make there desktops a pain to upgrade too!

My desktop is self assembled but my laptop is an HP Pavilion and it has got some overheating issues and that's why I will be avoiding HP in future. Offtopic: HP believes 64C is normal
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

Originally posted by The Napster
    Thats like i said thats the biggest advantage with a custom buid, prebuilts tend to try and cater for all markets and usually work out alot expensiver too and with a custom build you use quality parts where as the manuafactures like dell use the lowest grade of compnents and make there desktops a pain to upgrade too!
    Indeed. I can't upgrade my Dimension 4300 more than 512 MB of RAM, because the BIOS doesn't support it, and I can't flash the BIOS, either. I want a gig, so I'm just going to build a new one -- a monster machine, hopefully.

My first computer was a Micron. When that broke, I got a Dell. Then when that got old, I built a replacement... never bought a whole PC since then. I love building my own.

I am happy with my dell. I also have a home built.

Self Builds, HP, Dell.
    It's Scott!

Homemade desktop PC (soyo kt400 dragon ultra platinum motherboard, 250GBx2 Seagate SATA HDDs, 1GB Crucial DDR, AMD 64 3200+, Antec case, Radeon 9800 Pro)...

I also have some emachines Celeron 333MHz PC I got for free that never gets used...

1 Toshiba Centrino notebook.

Our servers are a mix of Dells and homemade.

Had a Compaq desktop (sucks really bad), now I am on a Dell Inspiron 6000, wireless dsl...so nice

I've got two computers on my desk.

Apple Mac (Mini) - purchased ~February
    Sony Vaio laptop - purchased March last year

Using the Mac now.

I use Gateway, Dell, and HP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast