vBulletin on shared hosting.

This question has been asked a lot over here, but due to the bellow specific requirements I couldnít resolve it by using Search.

I need to host my vBulletin on a shared hosting package. (Canít use it with ThePlanet)
    Webhost installations must support vBulletin. (So it canít be Godaddy)
    Webhost needs to have its own data center. (Cant use it with asmallorange)
    Webhost needs to have in SLA at least 99.7 uptime connectivity. (Canít with hostrocket)
    Webhost needs to have 24/7 support.(Canít with site5)
    Webhost needs to be reliable (So it cannot be Interland)
    Webhost must offer inhouse daily backups.

I know itís not an easy request, but Iíll be happy to pay what it deserves for a great webhost.

Thanks in advance.

Re: vBulletin on shared hosting.

Originally posted by @email
    Webhost needs to have 24/7 support.(CanÔŅĹt with site5)
    Hm... not sure what post you found that in, but I can confirm that we *are* available 24x7. I'd encourage you to email [email protected] at any hour of the day/night on any day of the week and simply ask for a ping back. You'll have one in minutes (from a real, on-shift Site5 systems administrator).
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Re: Re: vBulletin on shared hosting.

Originally posted by Site5-Matt
    Hm... not sure what post you found that in,
    Thank you for answering SO quickly!
    I realy don't have any experience with site5, but this is where I've got it from:
    http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7992
    Please correct me if THEY are wrong.
    Thank you! As I said I will be very happy to work with a great company,
    and I'm very sure that site5 IS a reliable one!
    That thread has also mentioned a paypal issue. Would you please answer to that?

Also, based on some PMs I've got, I'd like to answer here:
    Webhost must be a US based company.
    Webhost must be one of the top 50K sites!
    Last edited by @email; 06-11-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Re: Re: Re: vBulletin on shared hosting.

Sounds a little vague..

IMO, there are things to be considered regarding some of your requirements:
    Webhost needs to have in SLA at least 99.7 uptime connectivity.
    I can actually recall one host that doesn't have an uptime guarantee at all, yet it it renowned as one of the hosts with the highest levels of uptime.

Now only that, but an uptime guarantee is basically worthless anyway, because the most you'll get is a month worth of hosting service for free. IMO, what you should try to find is a host with a good uptime record over a period of 1 year or more, not a high uptime guarantee.

Webhost needs to have its own data center.
    This requirement is meant to point you to big hosting businesses (and assure you of a relative stability that usually comes with size), but it takes so many good hosts out of the list, that for the average hosting customer it's (IMO) not worth to pursue it. Besides, owning a datacenter is hardly a testimony of quality service.

That said, is your website/forum online? If so, can you give us some details regarding the number of simultaneous users, used data transfer, etc.?

Why do they need to have their own datacenter? This has been discussed many times on WHT before, but if you are going with shared hosting, I'd say its best to go with a host that doesn't own its own datacenter. A lot of the hosts that you mentioned in your post don't own their own datacenters, but you only mentioned asmallorange.

It sounds pretty simple to me, they don't accept Paypal. What do you think he needs to answer to?

What are you talking about? Alexa ratings? What does that matter?
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Re: Re: Re: vBulletin on shared hosting.

Thank you for answering SO quickly!
    I realy don't have any experience with site5, but this is where I've got it from:
    http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7992
    Please correct me if THEY are wrong.
    Thank you! As I said I will be very happy to work with a great company,
    and I'm very sure that site5 IS a reliable one!
    Yeah, they were referring to the fact that our sales and billing departments only work during business hours. Our support team is available 24x7x365.

Additionally, since the post at the other forums, we have significantly expanded the hours of our sales and billing departments, as well as added account setups 24x7, which was something that was a concern for many customers.

Best of luck!
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Thanks (with some answers)

Actually, Datacenter and Top 50k sites (Alexa) were mentioned
    because vB site AND other related sites have many dozens of threads,
    discussing the SAME host.
    So I use it to not be spammed with the same unreliable answers.

Thanks HostingInsider for the answer about Paypal and ldcdc for elaborating regarding the datacenter issue!!

Site5-Matt:
    Our support team is available 24x7x365.
    That's completely answer my needs. I'd give site5 a try!

Originally posted by HostingInsider
    It sounds pretty simple to me, they don't accept Paypal. What do you think he needs to answer to?
    Yep--you got it.

As far as why we haven't integrated this yet, I would really like to have our new billing system up and running so that we can support PayPay natively, as opposed to throwing a quick hack into our existing system to accomplish the job.

Our tentative plans are to PayPal when we switch over to BillAdmin 4, but if it's a priority to you today, then I'd recommend checking into a host that offers this payment option. A couple of our well-respected competitors that come to mind are www.unitedhosting.co.uk and www.hostgator.com. Disclaimer: I obviously have no first-hand experience with either company's services (just throwing that out there, as it would seem I'm on proverbial thin-ice after an unfortunate incident involving my signature; the colors deep pink, crimson and lime green; and a propellor beanie... ).

.. uhh..

Additionally, we have some further concerns about accepting payment via PayPal, but I've decided to simply post them in another thread, as it's not really on-topic here. (look mods... look how well-behaved I am )

Anyway, best of luck with your decision--you seem to have very reasonable requirements. It's great to see people doing their homework *before* signing up... maybe this place is working after all.

[EDIT]I would also recommend checking out ldcdc's hosting company review site: http://www.whreviews.com -- it's a great source for honest reviews![/EDIT]
    Last edited by Matt Lightner; 06-11-2005 at 04:07 PM.

Re: vBulletin on shared hosting.

This question has been asked a lot over here, but due to the bellow specific requirements I couldnít resolve it by using Search.

I need to host my vBulletin on a shared hosting package. (Canít use it with ThePlanet)
    Webhost installations must support vBulletin. (So it canít be Godaddy)
    Webhost needs to have in SLA at least 99.7 uptime connectivity. (Canít with hostrocket)
    Webhost needs to have 24/7 support.(Canít with site5)
    Webhost needs to be reliable (So it cannot be Interland)
    Webhost must offer inhouse daily backups.

I know itís not an easy request, but Iíll be happy to pay what it deserves for a great webhost.

Thanks in advance.
    Site5 or 1and1.com would be my picks, personally.

If you are looking for shared hosting company with their own datacenter, you have cancelled out at least 60% of the hosting companies from your list already.

You can try HostRocket.com they have their own datacenter, I am not sure if they allow vbulletin. They might allow it because their comapny forums runs off vBulletin.

Other good hosts that do not have their own datacenter:
    Site5
    Hostgator

I have not had any experience with any of these hosts, but I have read a lot of good reviews about them.

I wish you the best of luck with your search

Originally posted by WN-Ali

You can try HostRocket.com they have their own datacenter, I am not sure if they allow vbulletin. They might allow it because their comapny forums runs off vBulletin.
    We do allow vBulletin. 
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service