layeredtech down?

nagios reports 12:44 am layeredtech down.. it's currently 1:10 am..

can anyone confirm this ?

j

my server is down too

A few people are having issues: http://layer0.layeredtech.com/showthread.php?t=1111

quite unfortunate.

j

I have 2 servers down in there and 2 up

And support center it's down also, and no auto-reply from support, for you it's the same?

same here. server just went down probably less than an hour.

Looks like they are back

45 min of downtime to the second.. nagios reports are nice.

j

LayeredTech/Savvis connectivity issues 6/11/05

I don't see another thread on this...

My server was unresponsive, so I sent a reboot request (been having some troubles overnight)...

Server came back up, and I got this note in the ticket:

---------
    Hello,

A data router or line for the savvis network is currently causing ntwork connection issues and our network administrator is working with the savvis datacenter to get this resolved as soon as possible. Hopefully this issue should be resolved shortly.

thank you,
    ----------

Thought I'd pass it on, and see if anyone else is experiencing downtime - and if you are, maybe that's why. :-)

Their site is down, and my servers are down also

Hello,

If you look in the 'Providers & Network Outages' forum there is already a thread about this issue.

##

Savvis is performing and emergency maintenance on a router upstream from us that was affecting a portion of our network IP space routing and connectivity. The window for this maintence is supposed to close at 6AM CST (2 hours from now) and all connectivity appears returning back to full capacity. We are very sorry about this issue and where not made aware of the maintenance until the last minute.

There may be a few more hiccups over the next 2 hours while they complete the work and it should be fine from that point on.

Regards,

Jeremy

Must be some sort of transient issue -- or maybe I just needed the reboot, because I'm up quite fine now...

Best of luck to you and anyone else down! (And best of luck to myself to stay up! :-D )

Hello,

Savvis is performing and emergency maintenance on a router upstream from us that was affecting a portion of our network IP space routing and connectivity. The window for this maintence is supposed to close at 6AM CST (2 hours from now) and all connectivity appears returning back to full capacity. We are very sorry about this issue and where not made aware of the maintenance until the last minute.

There may be a few more hiccups over the next 2 hours while they complete the work and it should be fine from that point on.

Regards,

Jeremy

The servers are back

Well I'm glad I slept right thru that.

Looks like they are down again?

Were down, up again now, less than 10mins but still downtime, bah.

Actually my servers got lots of problems this month. Server are often inaccessible for a few seconds, then back to normal, soon inaccessible again. Just now I couldn't access my websites (including layeredtech) for 5 minutes.

Yesterday when I was updating software, two servers can't access all FreeBSD ftp servers for about one hour, and I can access my server and ftp very fast, strange connection problems between my servers and freebsd ftp servers.

I'm very frustrated about all these things.

yea, 7 minutes..

j

I wonder if they are bringing another provider up for BGP.

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    I wonder if they are bringing another provider up for BGP.
    We are pushing to get 2-2.5GB/s of peering from Limelightnetworks.com tied into our blend this coming week. With that addition it will help out with performance for our gaming clients and provide more routes to our overseas clients. Limelight networks is a very nice setup and will blend well with our existing Savvis network. We hope to have a set date for the lightup on Monday this week.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Glad to hear that, Jemery. The network was really great before, but this month seems to be congested.

I'm honestly not a fan of Limelight in any way, but I guess that is just me. What were your specific reasons for picking them?

Yeah, any reason for using limelight? I heard they charge outrageously.

Glad to hear that you are putting them into mix as well

This month has been pretty hectic for us with Savvis as they are continuing to change their network to a 100% 2 Layer MLPS setup from an older 3 Layer and bring the old Savvis & Cable & Wireless networks more tightly intergrated.

There has also been another provider on the west coast that had some issues with a core router in California that peers directly with Savvis that caused many routing issues for our overseas clients in the the APNIC region.

Limelight was choosen as they have a great blend of many carriers and very strong peering relationships in the DFW area which will allow us to get great performance to many of the smaller bell type broadband providers and also to some congested areas suchs as RR.com, AT&T and just fired up new direct peering with AOL along smaller carriers. Also note that Microsoft went with LL over many others to provide all of the bandwidth for the XBOX networks so we feel this will be a good fit for our gaming clients.

Savvis has also worked with SBC and AOL to provide us addtional direct peering into the Equinix routers we share with Savvis.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Originally posted by LTADMIN
    This month has been pretty hectic for us with Savvis as they are continuing to change their network to a 100% 2 Layer MLPS setup from an older 3 Layer and bring the old Savvis & Cable & Wireless networks more tightly intergrated.

There has also been another provider on the west coast that had some issues with a core router in California that peers directly with Savvis that caused many routing issues for our overseas clients in the the APNIC region.

Limelight was choosen as they have a great blend of many carriers and very strong peering relationships in the DFW area which will allow us to get great performance to many of the smaller bell type broadband providers and also to some congested areas suchs as RR.com, AT&T and just fired up new direct peering with AOL along smaller carriers. Also note that Microsoft went with LL over many others to provide all of the bandwidth for the XBOX networks so we feel this will be a good fit for our gaming clients.

Savvis has also worked with SBC and AOL to provide us addtional direct peering into the Equinix routers we share with Savvis.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    how about for those of us that use server for webhosting?

The changes we are making with limelight will also have benifets for webhosts of less latency and more available routes for their end users to access your sites and data.

More peers, pipes and routes will always be a benifet to all of the servers on our network.

Thanks,

Jeremy

That's good to hear that

Doing business with Limelight does not fall into my personal book of good ideas (but to each their own).

Originally posted by IRCCo Jeff
    Doing business with Limelight does not fall into my personal book of good ideas (but to each their own).
    that's two negatives on limelight on this thread. how so?

First, the amount of peering one can actually purchase from a company such as Limelight is fairly limited. One would be better off purchasing peering from say, WVFiber.

Second, they're extremely overpriced. I certainly hope no one is considering paying more than $15/Mbps for *any* paid peering mix consisting of primarily Tier-2 providers.

Third, Limelight's upper management has serious attitude problems, the company as a whole is severely understaffed and disorganized, and they frequently make promises for which they cannot deliver. Their business tactics are extremely predatory and self-serving. "Reasonable" and "equitable" do not seem to be in their vocabulary.

They manage to keep afloat as their account management staff tends to be extremely polite and professional and are extremely efficient at damage control.

These are general problems I see with the company, this does not include personal experiences which would certainly compound what I just stated.

BTW, a quick note since the thread is taking off -- Apologies to LT for the thread, since I forgot to check the outages forum... I didn't want to bump the thread to say that, but since it's being bumped anyway... :-)