2xAthlon Barton 3000 vs 1xDual Opteron 244

I need to build a cluster of web servers. I need to standardise on a base configuration for future deployments.

I have the option of 2 AMD3000 Barton based machines, with 2GB of RAM each OR 1 Dual Opteron 244 based machine with 2GB of RAM.

2GB of RAM
    Private VLAN

Dual Opteron 244
    2GB of RAM
    Private VLAN

2xAMD3000 = $256/m
    OPTERON244 = $204/m

Aside from the high availability benefits of the AMD3000 route, I need to know what the performance would be like. These machines would have the sole role of being web servers.

Basically, what I'm looking for are ApacheBench requests/s for each option. I don't have access to an Dual Opteron 244 machine, so any help would be appreciated.

How to becnhmark Apache:

dd if=/dev/zero of=./50.html bs=1k count=50

mv 50.html /your/webroot

ab -n 10000 -c 2 h ttp://yourwebsite/50.html
    ab -n 10000 -c 10 h ttp://yourwebsite/50.html

Would be greatly appreciated if someone with a AMD3000 machine and someone with a Dual Opteron 244 could run these benchmarks. A couple of runs wouldn't hurt (usually around 3-5 to get a good average.)

Thank you.

I can't say this for certain, but I'm pretty sure - the Opterons should perform much better. They are 64Bit and have much faster memory access. They also seem to be a bit cheaper looking at the prices you have there.

You should also take into consideration, Dual Opterons are designed for a server environment, while Dual Barton's are not.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

I understand. But other factors also need to be factored into the equation. What I'm trying to determine is whether the aggregate req/s from the two AMD3000 machines is within my tolerance level, in terms of performance hit, when factors like high availability, etc are also taken into account.

I would also have to go with the dual opterons, they are just a better platform period, especially for servers. We have been running dual 242's for our webhosting servers for quite some time and have had no problems out of them yet. Extremely fast and our customers have liked them quite a bit.
    James Lumby

US of A
    If it were me, I would bet on a dual Operton 244. One Barton can not compete with one Operton, so a dual Barton will loose, too. With Operton, server load tollerance is much higher and faster than Barton, which is what you want for a web server. Put Operton with SCSI drives and RAID, you'll have a great machine. Plus, it makes sense on financial side.

However, with two Barton servers, if one goes down, the other can still do the job albeit slowly. With one Operton server, something happens to it, you'll be stuck.

Memory is a consideration

Remember that you can never have too much RAM, and that could prove a bottleneck, depending on what he's doing.

According to the specs he provided, each Barton will have 2GB of RAM, while the single dual Opteron machine will have 2GB split between the two Opterons.

The Barton setup is $52 more a month. For $52 more a month, he should be able to boost the Opteron config by another gig or two, at which point it's the better option.