Question Migration from RHE 3 to Centos 3.4

Hi

I want to migrate my RHE 3 servers to Centos 3.4, because the subscription will expire soon.

I asked rack911.com to do this, but they started with it in time and then I got the message, that Centos 3.4 is now in use, but still using the RHE kernel because of some problems. He wrote, that he will work on this later on but since then (25.05.2005), I was not able to contact him anymore. I sent him already a few mails and asked for status in the Perldesk on his site, but he is not answaring anymore.

My subscrtion is expiring in 45 days and I have still 2 other server, does anybody else know another company, in case rack911.com will not reply in time?

Thanks
    Michael

Hi Michael,

What control panel you are using?
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development

Hi

I'm using WHM/Cpanel...

Michael

It's actually not too hard to go from one to the other, since they're both essentially the same beast.
    What did I do to get mine setup with CentOS? All I did was copy the yum configuration from server a to server b, install yum (probably want to do that one first), then update the stuff from there.

Is that the "official" way to do it? Probably not, but it seems to work for me without problems. I had issues with up2date throwing fits on my rhel3 server so i moved it over to CentOS.

Since they're both essentially the same, I wouldn't see why doing that wouldn't work. My server hasn't thrown a fit since I did it, so hey, maybe that's all that needs to be done.

Don't forget, however to import the CentOS keys into your system
    before you actually do anything with yum. I think the key for 3 doesn't matter (should be the same for whatever 3.x).
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Thanks for the information. But I think, if it would be so easy, rack911.com would not need another time to fix some kernel problems.

Michael

Thanks for the information. But I think, if it would be so easy, rack911.com would not need another time to fix some kernel problems.
    Use the search function, you'll find common problems with him needing more time and not responding.

The only time it should need anything unusual is if you have a custom kernel, compiled by you or your dc. Like I said, the two are the same, there shouldn't be a thing more needed.

Greetings:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/..._id=64&forum=6 is a good document on the subject matter.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Is there any other company, which is offering this service? The servers are important production servers, therefore I don't want to mess arround.

Michael

So can someone please explain how if the main operating system is RHEL3, by installing the latest CentOS kernel - this doesn't change anything but the kernel that is loaded into - so this isn't a true migration to CentOS completely is it?
    OSHS Ltd
    OSHS Services - DNS Clusters | R1Soft Licenses | Remote Backup Storage | R1Soft CDP Storage | Cheap Dedicated Servers
    EconDC.com - Enterprise UK Server Colo & Rack Space at Lowest Prices

So can someone please explain how if the main operating system is RHEL3, by installing the latest CentOS kernel - this doesn't change anything but the kernel that is loaded into - so this isn't a true migration to CentOS completely is it?
    It's far from just the kernel that needs updating, but in this specific case, yes, it is just about that simple. The fact that the post on the CentOS forums says the same thing that I've said at least twice here doesn't hardly surprise me.

Why?
    CentOS is simply RHEL. The one, the only, that's all. The difference? CentOS is created from RHEL SOURCE rpms, which are provided by the redhat team, freely and legally.

CentOS and RHEL are essentially the one and the same. Granted, there might be minimal changes between the two, such as a release rpm , and the name of an rpm here and there, but that's it. Everything else is pretty much straight across the board 100% the same.

There is quite really, minimal difference between the two, until it comes time to update them, where redhat CHARGES for said updates via up2date, and CentOS provides them for free via yum.