JVDS - is it going down the drain?

Hello,

I used to be a member with JVDS back about a year ago. It used to have great customer service and was an all around excellent company.. However, after Rus left, it seems I've been reading conflicting reports about slow/non-responsive customer service, trouble with sales, etc... Can anybody post their experiences with JVDS? I'd like to get a VDS with them, but after all I've been reading, I'm not sure.

I believe JVDS is the same company as DedicatedNOW/FortressITX now, it might help if you research them too. Their not bad for the buck in my opinion. If you are looking for Rus's new company check out www.a2b2.com as I may be trying them for my DNS VPS.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I believe they're training up more staff to handle VPS issues and have rolled out Virtuozzo to replace their older UML architecture.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Rus is still with them - he just doesn't have all the headaches of running the business also

However, I've noticed their support seems to be going downhill, also. I've got a problem which requires a kernel upgrade that's been open for almost a month. Their support people aren't even responding to my messages inquiring about the status any more. See my message in the Linux section of their forum for details.

I've been happy with them for the last year - but this lack of response is not good. I'm over here because I'm considering a change to another host.

Jerry
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

same for me... I'm still a customer of them. but i transfered almost all my customers to my second vps (with another vps provider company... )

I got a lot of trouble having answer to downtime tickets. It's worse if you are a freebsd vps customer. I got so many downtimes without even a reason. So many " should work now " and wasn't working at all... and didn,t 3hours later...

I'm the kind of customer that if i do not receive an answer after 1 hour, i mail again... and again... I wont let a ticket be forgetten ...

Many times i got a ticket closed without an answer... I mail them again, and i receive a response that make no sense...

So much frustration with them...

Jvds vps is good only for backup dns or backup mx... That's why i keep my vps with them... and you can't probably find better somewhere else...

Well, when I get a VPS here in the next few weeks, I think I'll be going with a2b2.com... Not only are their prices lower, their support seems to be "Rus-quality" like the old JVDS used to be...

An important thing before getting a vps provider is to ask what is their datacenter...

a2b2 uses FortressITX, FYI.

--GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by webbist101
    Well, when I get a VPS here in the next few weeks, I think I'll be going with a2b2.com... Not only are their prices lower, their support seems to be "Rus-quality" like the old JVDS used to be...
    Hmmm, looking at their forums, I see an administrator named "Rus Foster". Wasn't Rus at JVDS's .last name Foster? Or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

yeah, it's the same person. What we are saying here is that since jvds and vpscolo was sold, the service is not as it was when Rus Foster was running it...

That's why rus's company a2b2 comes to the subject.
    But also, to add to a2b2, rus is also running www.vaserv.com ... and http://www.cherryhosting.net/ ...
    i'm sure he's running more than these

I think, to reply to webbist101, that i will sign for one of the backup vps service ...
    http://a2b2.com/index.php?&board=17.0

11. Thanks for the information.
    Rus didn't tell me about that.

Originally posted by elix
    I believe JVDS is the same company as DedicatedNOW/FortressITX now, it might help if you research them too. Their not bad for the buck in my opinion. If you are looking for Rus's new company check out www.a2b2.com as I may be trying them for my DNS VPS.

--GSV
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

The question arises - wouldn't there be a conflict of interest in the nature of businesses? I believe this is what is affecting their quality of support right now. Rus seems to be the most knowledgeable person on their staff but then he's also busy running other operations too.

Roj
    I am niyogi.

We did have problems with sales and billing from the aquistion yes, but we have since hired, additonal staff, to handle the higher billing/sales load and add on 4 more technical support reps to bring our service levels up. Example our current support load on jvds/vpscolo is 4 new/customer-replied tickets. Our quality of support is at a high level. In most cases on the older systems based out of other DC not our own, the boxes are under powerd and a VPS crash on UML usually undeterminable but in most cases it is the VPS running out of ram or the host system running out of resources, which is why we are migrating customers to our own infrastructure.

And Mr Finch, if you have specific tickets to which you are referring to to I would like to see them.
    Jay

Mr. Glate,

I also see you deleted my thread on the Linux forum with the details of the poor service I received.

For me, this is about the worst thing you can do. You can't hide poor service. And attempts to cover it up are even worse.

When the PTB start deleting negative posts, I start running!

And you can give all kind of excuses - but there are no VALID excuses for not reponding to a customer in a timely manner.
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

I had a VPS from VPSColo (same company as JVDS) while Rus still owned both. I cancelled it when I got a proper dedicated machine. The company was then sold to (I really don't care to whom - fortressitx? somethingorother). Since I had a good experience with VPSColo/JVDS, I decided to get a cheap JVDS vps for DNS and MX backups, but support was terrible. It took me two weeks to sort out a billing issue, and I made sure to cancel my account almost just after I got it. I didn't even give the network a chance after I saw how terrible the support was.

I am now a client of a2b2 for my backup VPS. It's up to the normal Rus standard, and they have excellent prices. I am in their UK datacenter, and network speeds are very good. I'm in South Africa, BTW.

So... what happens when Rus goes to sleep? a2b2 have a support team in place?

Roj
    I am niyogi.

17. You don't have to worry about that. The mans got everything covered.
    Throughout my stay at VPSCOLO which lasted more than 1 yr, I didn't submit more than 20 tickets. Maybe less than 10 even.
    Thats because Rus is doing a darned good job.

But after Rus left, my trust for VPSCOLO went into the drain within a short period of time.
    Check out:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=408123

I was PISSED to the max at the way the new owner handled things.
    VERY unprofessional. I mean 2 weeks of downtime with no compensation/apology/reply to tickets......how bad can it get?

I am seriously considering moving to a2b2.
    Coz its not about VPSCOLO, its about Rus style of management.

OK now, I gotta go out to get some fresh air and cool down.....

Originally posted by niyogi
    So... what happens when Rus goes to sleep? a2b2 have a support team in place?

Roj
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Originally posted by revve
    I had a VPS from VPSColo (same company as JVDS) while Rus still owned both. I cancelled it when I got a proper dedicated machine. The company was then sold to (I really don't care to whom - fortressitx? somethingorother). Since I had a good experience with VPSColo/JVDS, I decided to get a cheap JVDS vps for DNS and MX backups, but support was terrible. It took me two weeks to sort out a billing issue, and I made sure to cancel my account almost just after I got it. I didn't even give the network a chance after I saw how terrible the support was.

I am now a client of a2b2 for my backup VPS. It's up to the normal Rus standard, and they have excellent prices. I am in their UK datacenter, and network speeds are very good. I'm in South Africa, BTW.
    Yes, as I have MENTIONED 100 times over, there were numerious problems in billing/sales after the aquisition and yes they continued for an extended period of time, which I have yes apologized for numerious times over.

And to restate yet again, those issues have since been resolved and our billing/sales/support queue's are currently being answerd quickly, and efficiently. What happened in the past is in the past.

And roy, you were given a reason, and you didn't ask for any compensation or SLA credits afforded to you by our TOS. Which we would have been more than happy to give you.
    Jay

Originally posted by jayglate

And Mr Finch, if you have specific tickets to which you are referring to to I would like to see them.
    Hi jay,

i will check and mail them to you ... Which email address do you want to receive them ?

the one in my sig below.
    Jay

well, jayglate. forget it for the mails... support web-based thing is not available anymore...

I just look and i have more than 200+ support messages in my inbox... But they're all about load average too high, downtime, backup servers not working or IO problems caused by a sendmail on the machine... I don't know if all these problems is worse when it's a freebsd vps ?

I'm sure most of the time last year i was the first to mail support@ about downtime on my vps machine or load problems... I was running my webhosting company on this server, that's why it was so important for me... Even if i was paying 20$ a month for a vps...
    Like for three or four months, every week, i had to mail support@ because load average was too high. Most of the time, it was caused by a sendmail's going crazy on another vps... It happenned so many times i though about signing for a dedicated... i was told by rus that I'll be moved to another machine with a better load average... he even give me the specs... But never it happenned... i asked for it almost every times a downtime was occuring. It was just ignored.
    The trick with jvds support@ is to not include more than one topic by support@ request. If you do, you could be sure that one of them will be ignored... My mistake was to ask to be moved after the downtime problem was solved without starting out a new ticket.

The problems was most of the time solved very fast( say 1hour ), but one week end, i was out for whatever reason and wasn't able to know about downtime... believe it or not it was done for more than 24 hours... i mailed support@ and 30 mins later, it was up and running... And the only reply i got was "It should be running now" That's the kind of thing i hate... No explanation or nothing to tell me that it will not happen again ... or that a script is now running somewhere to tell if downtime is occuring...

I remember one time ( i will try to find the ticket for this one ), i mailed suport@ for a downtime with my vps ip... they wasn't able to find my vps... I sent them all i know of my account information... And they was still unable to find my vps... Damn, the server was down... and i was mailing support@ from my cell phone... it was horrible... i told them they were like a chicken without head...

Jayglate, i'm not angry about you or your company, i would be proud to own and run a company like yours... From the outside, it appeared that the company services was too big to handle... Too many customers or too many problems... but something was too much for the company.

It's just that i had a very good service a year ago... A very very good service... BUt even before it was sold, it started to became crazy. Tech guys was most of the time saying "I'll pass this to rus" or telling me to give them my root password( damn, i was telling support@ about a high load average!!! )... Rus seemed to be pretty busy... Also, many times, it was about high IO ... There's no way for me ( as far as i know as a freebsd vps owner ) to know the io stats ...
    Anyway, more and more problems + support@ trouble ... it was worst week after week... and it was finally sold...

I mean the problems was there before the company was sold...
    Recently, i noticed that backup ftp server wasn't working... and backup mx too... I mailed support@ to finally know that it was moved somewhere else... Is it hard to tell customers about it ? what if a crash occured and my data is lost. I was trusting that backup server...

oh, that's remind me... someday, i had my whole vps deleted by mistake by Rus... He's not an white angel ... but i can say he was handling most of my support@ request... and he was doing it better than anyone in jvds.

It's all about details... Small details that was perfect one year and a half ago ... Probably when Rus wasn't flooded by support request and server problems...

[UPDATE: Sorry for all the english grammar mistake and stuff... English is still in a learning process ]
    Last edited by jack finch; 06-13-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Originally posted by jack finch

I remember one time ( i will try to find the ticket for this one ), i mailed suport@ for a downtime with my vps ip... they wasn't able to find my vps... I sent them all i know of my account information... And they was still unable to find my vps... Damn, the server was down... and i was mailing support@ from my cell phone... it was horrible... i told them they were like a chicken without head...
    #640584 is the ticket number for this one.

But with this, you have my user mail address... Read from my start with jvds service and see the evolution of the support... I think i could be a good representation of the customer having trouble with support@

I just read your ticket and that was more than 2 months ago, and ALOT has changed since then. That ticket is nowhere indicitive of our current level of support on JVDS.
    Jay

hi jay,
    i don't want to takeover this topic... since i didn't started it and i'm not the kind of person to want a lot of attention... also, i'm pretty new here and i'm still shy most of the time... so, i'll accept all the things you say... not that i don't care about what you say, but it's only that i do believe you... You really looks like you are trying to get things running fine... I'll see next time i have to submit a support request ...

Anyway, i do understand the fact that it's better now that it was two months ago... I also do understand the fact that you are working your best for your company ... but some details are still missing to your company... that's what you should work on. That's details added to other details to other details to other details that make someone mad someday and make him go away to another company, you know ? I'm sure you lived it with a cellphone company or an isp provider ... And customers can be disapointed for a long time... I know companies that I'll never do business with anymore... They disapointed me one time too much...

Anyway... for details with your company... things like why is your backup ftp server changed and no email was never sent to customer ? what about the backup mx ? They are important stuff... It's your right to change it as often as you care... but at least, warn customers about it, don't you think, i'm right ?

You already know about billing problem ( which i never had... lucky me ... ) ... but customers were disapointed and angry... even if you changed and you are now running billing system perfectly fine...

Anyway, i think things is not going in the drain... but you having a hard time...
    From the side of a old customer, during the company transfer process, i personnally felt like "a sold merchandise" being exported in a cheap air cargo ... with a lot of turbulence... without light to look where we go... specially for freebsd vps... We were like the not-wanted children of jvds. Alone in a problematic datacenter ... waiting for us to be moved to new york...

Customers have feelings too!

Another detail that seems problematic... Having rus still answering some emails could be a problem... For me, it looks like no one in your company is able to answer these and rus is still needed to get things running...

Anyway, it's late now... and i wrote enough stuff in english for today ...

Hi, jayglate.

In the past VPSColo/JVDS was praised by many, right here on WHT - that is why I used to be a VPSColo client, in it's "golden-days". At a point in time, this stopped - probably just slightly before Rus sold the company, and a few people started to complain, and this got fairly bad after the deal went through.

You have told the WHT community several times now that support has improved, etc, etc. If it has improved so much, I must ask, why do I not see more praises, like the company used to get. I must admit - i do not spend a lot of time on WHT, and I did not do a thorough search before making this next comment, but the only posts I still see about your company is the odd complaint. Not nearly as many as before, though.

I think the point I'm trying to make (and taking my time to do), is that even though support has been improved (as you claim), from my outsider's point of view is that VPSColo/JVDS is "going down the drain", as quoting from the topic's subject.

I cannot really comment about the "new-and-improved" service - I am not a customer of yours anymore, and the service I received was, quite frankly, horrendious, while I was one. This pretty much ensured that I will never be one of your customers again, either.

Normally, I do not take notice of bad reviews of a hosting company (I do take notice of good reviews - they are hard to come by), because I know people are MUCH more likely to do a bad review than a good one. People with a good experience usually just keep quiet and enjoy the ride, but people with a bad experience of a company will frequently complain, and complain bitterly. I am, unfortunately, also guilty of this, up to a point. What I'm taking my time getting to, is that if everything has improved so much, we would have had at leave a couple of good reviews and compliments, here on WHT, which I did not see.

I do believe you and your company deserve a fair chance, and I fail to see how you will get it with people badmouthing it on a forum such as this. For this reason, I will very likely not participate in this topic further, unless asked something directly. I also hope to lead by example in this matter. If anybody has a good (or RECENT bad experience) with this company, I would love to hear about it, but can we please stop critisizing the company for issues that are (hopefully) a thing of the past, and also were perhaps out of the new owner's control to fix immediately.

Juan

PS: jayglate: The two biggest complaints I saw about your company was the long time it took to resolve tickets (hopefully fixed now), and the fact that none of the clients were notified of things that would affect them (cannot comment on this). From a customer's point of view - the best thing you can do is install Mailman (or something similar on a server or a spare VPS. Add your clients to a mailing list and let them know what is happening. You don't have to send them messages constantly, and letting everybody know about a problem, will only take 5 minutes. Heck, if you don't want to manage it yourself, get a $2 per month cpanel account from a third-party and let them manage it for you - just use the Mailman installation that comes with it.
    Last edited by SS-Juan; 06-14-2005 at 02:16 AM.

Originally posted by revve

You have told the WHT community several times now that support has improved, etc, etc. If it has improved so much, I must ask, why do I not see more praises, like the company used to get. I must admit - i do not spend a lot of time on WHT, and I did not do a thorough search before making this next comment, but the only posts I still see about your company is the odd complaint. Not nearly as many as before, though.

Perhaps because those with the worst problems have gone to a better provider?

I think the point I'm trying to make (and taking my time to do), is that even though support has been improved (as you claim), from my outsider's point of view is that VPSColo/JVDS is "going down the drain", as quoting from the topic's subject.

It is. I have several customers with VPS's there. I've had a problem with one of them which hasn't been resolved for almost a month. I'm looking for another hosting service now for all of them - before the others have the same problem.

BTW - I'm still getting messages signed "Rus". Is Rus Foster still involved, or is there another "Rus"?
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

Jerrry, no tickets have stayed open for more than a few hours let alone a few months. And YES RUS still works here. If you have that ticket # pm me and I would be happy to look into it.

And, even those with the worst problems will get them resolved today. Instead of going to an alternate provider.
    Jay

Originally posted by jayglate
    Jerrry, no tickets have stayed open for more than a few hours let alone a few months. And YES RUS still works here. If you have that ticket # pm me and I would be happy to look into it.

Jay,

Open just a few hours? Try this one on.

I opened ticket # 672782 on 5/17. I'm currently doing some final test of a new kernel, and expect to close it today.

However - I have bigger concerns. One is the lack of response to my inquiries. I will post a detailed account here later this morning.

Another concern is the fact when I posted a message in the Linux area of your forum detailing the lack of response and asking if anyone else was having these problems. That message was deleted. As other, older messages I have left there are still available, it makes one wonder why you'd delete this message - because it was negative about your service? And how many others like this have you deleted?

Oh, and BTW - the question about Rus was more tongue-in-cheek. I know he still works there; it's just that he does so much I wonder if there aren't at least five of them!
    Jerry Stuckle
    SmarTech Homes, Inc.

We apologise for the delay on repsonding to the ticket however it was outside the normal scope of what we do support but we did need to test it for stability. Any future requests from other customers for this type of kernel. Will be quicker as we now of the kernel configuration on file. Thank you for bearing with us and if there is anything else you need please let us know
    Jay