Feature Suggestion - Post Again Countdown

Just a thought of a way to be a little more 'helpful' with the 90 second post rule.

It's seriously like hitting a brick wall. How about a meta refresh timed for after your limit expires, or even just a visual countdown we could use to know to refresh the page then to post?

Any takers?
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

It couldn't be live in real-time because that would hog bandwidth. I suppose a basic JavaScript countdown timer would be possible but a bit of a hassle to implement.
    Nice ideas though.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Originally posted by effusionx1
    It couldn't be live in real-time because that would hog bandwidth. I suppose a basic JavaScript countdown timer would be possible but a bit of a hassle to implement.
    Nice ideas though.
    How would it hog bandwidth? just the same page you see now but with "Note: If you stay here you will be automatically redirected in <x> seconds" using a <meta> tag for the refresh.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

It wouldn't hog bandwidth, but it would probably use a good amount of server resources.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood - you want a meta refresh. I thought you wanted the database and PHP to keep changing the number every second!

oops..
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

It would actually be very very easy to add some Javascript to the page which counts down the number of seconds until you can post again, and then enables a button on the screen which says "Resubmit post now".

With any luck, Prohacker might see this useful enough to implement sometime soon on WHT.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

What I do when encountering the limit for posts, or the 20-sec limit on searches, is obsessive-compulsively hit the 'back' button in my browser and resubmit, and repeat until done. I guess I do this out of a vindictive desire to deliberately eat up server resources for the purposes of revenge. I dunno, though, IANAP.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Jeremy is right, it's very simple. What [I would hope] vB does is store the date when you can post again. If you compare the two dates, you will get a time between 1 and 90 seconds. Then using JS, you can disable the Search button with a timer under it. Equally simple whether the data is stored as a cookie or a session, though I would assume session since people could just delete the relevant cookie and do the post.

However, if they store the date the last post was made [not when you can post again], this will be a _lot_ harder, and would take quite a bit of work to change since a lot of things rely on the last post.

Setting a simple cookie, not to control, but more for "advice" as to when the person can repost, and then use javascript to manipulate the data to create a time would be swanky.
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever