Question Dedicated or NOT Dedicated...

Hi all, i would say im an average webmaster but i want to move up.
    Now, the thing is, i NEVER had a Dedicated server and i have no idea how to setup a server and i probably wont have much time to keep it maintain.

What i need is...
    something close to: 5gb of space with 500gb of bandwidth. (per month)

What i'll be using it for...
    Hosting A LOT OF Images and SWF. Maybe some Audios/Videos files.

My site is currently taking up...
    about 500MB of space and 150gb of bandwidth. (per month)

I have read enough about Unmetered and Unlimited bandwidth and im not going for any of those sites.

So, now i need your help in picking a strating point for myself.
    Should i go shared or reseller or Semi or Full-Dedicated (knowing that i can't mantain a server by myself)? Which area should i search in? Any webhost i should take a look at?

PLEASE HELP, i need to get it done ASAP.
    thanks in advance.

Get a VPS.
    Try Steadfast Networks

You don't need a dedicated for that little. The cheapest dedicated is $60 (without a control panel).
    If you bought a dedicated server
    [list=1][*]a control panel ($10-20)[*]someone to secure the server for you ($50)[/list=1]

A VPS from Steadfast will cost you $35.
    Good luck,

I would agree with adb22791. Probably VPS will be the best solution for you. As for SteadfastNetworks I have heard lots of positive feedback regarding them. Karl and his staff are doing very well.

Search around WHT for feedback regarding them
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Thank you, i have never heard about VPS or even know what it stands for.

I'll do a search on it right this min.

If anyone else like to suggest anything, PLEASE do so.
    thank you

You are in a bit of a situation, nUCLEArcENTURy, because your lack of experience with a server would mean you would suit a reseller Web hosting account, more than a VPS (Virtual Private Server), yet the size of the disk space and bandwidth, (certainly the amount of bandwidth), means you would more likely be needing a VPS.

If you can find a respectable host, that offers this amount of space and bandwidth, as a reseller account, you are on to a winner, otherwise, I would have to agree with Alex and maxo, VPS is the answer.
    - Jamie Harrop

yes, the bandwidth is killing me right now, 150GB is after i stoped hotlinking files and i plan to expand my website by putting swf files and what not, so i'm guess i would be using up to 300GB of bandwidth and to be on safe side i'm trying to find something above 300GB.

I'm looking at SteadfastNetworks and the price they have are more than what my current host offers.

SN offers 7GB/200GB for $34.95 and my host offeres almost the same thing for $20 (1year per month payment) so, if i stick with my current host, i wont have a down time on my site because they will just put me on a different plan unlike if i move to a new host, i would have to wait 24/hr for DNS...

nUCLEArcENTURy,

Also I would advise you to consider purchasing dedicated server in the future. LayeredTech could possibly be a good option for you, but remember you will have to manage it:

www.layeredtech.com
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Well first, you may be able to negotiate with them to up bandwidth a bit.

And to your second question, its easy to transfer a site with no downtime.
    Get the new server. If you use SQL databases/etc set those up on the new servers and point the database on the old server to the database on the new server. Then move your site over, and then transfer the DNs. 0 downtime!

Also, Steadfast is great on support. They also fully manage everything, which is a definate plus for a newbie.

Good luck again,

Originally posted by mmcreavy
    <<Snipped quote>>
    Read the rules, no self-advertising allowed on the forums, there's a whole advertising sectino for that type of stuff.

To the thread poster:

If you do go with a VPS or a dedicated machine, make sure you get one that is managed (it seems you are not familiar with running a server). You may need to up your budget for that though =/

Even a non-managed VPS with 300+Gb of bandwidth is probably going to run over $40/mo.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 06-11-2005 at 02:01 AM.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

hmm, yes.. i read all of your comments, once again THANK YOU.

I did talk to my host and they dont do any custom plans and in that case its $1/GB BN and this month i'll probably endup paying $40 for extra bandwidth useage. suck, i know.

i'm working at my job almost everyday. i took a day off today to rest. im gonna be working Sat(tomorrow), Sun and Monday and i have to be up early which leaves me no time to learn anything...

I want to move my site ASAP and want to save my money as well. I don't know what would be a resonable price for these things so it's hard for me to decided who to go with.
    If my site keeps getting major hits i WILL be moving to a Dedicated in future.

Right now, i think i'll just upgrade my plan with my host and pay per month for a few months till i can figure out how much bandwidth my site will actuall use and in mean time, i'll be coming here to ask help and read tutorial on how to run a server.

You guys have been a great help, if anyone else has any suggestion, please let me know. I've bookmarked all the sites that you guys have suggested.

Thank you