Looking for a script to stop guestbook spamming

I installed cPanels advanced guestbook on 2 client sites. The problem is they are being bombarded by spammers. It's obviously an automatic script making all these damn annoying entries so I'm thinking I should put up a verification script before people can make an entry. I'm thinking the kind of script that automatically generates a .gif or .jpg with a code on it and must be entered manually before being allowed to make an entry into the book should relieve my problem a great deal.

Anybody know where I can find these scripts? I'm not even sure what they are called so I dont know what to enter into google.

TIA.

Check out hotscripts.com, and I would recommend you look under the PHP section.

Also, try looking for a guestbook which limits the user to one post per IP. I think it would be more common than a verification image since they get a little annoying everytime you want to sign the guestbook

hi,

I found a way. please copy the script from http://codedata.box.sk/js/script11965.txt.html

just copy the script into a new page (copy to notepad first if you're using FrontPage because it likes to stick @alt tags in the html) to test and it worked great (Put the script between the <head> and </head> tags.

Then.. just add the OnBlur line to my text box:
    <textarea name="Comments" rows="5" cols="70" onBlur = "this.value = checkForProfanity(this.value);"></textarea>

Now.. whenever anyone tries to enter one of the cuss words in the box, and tabs out to submit, they are prompted not to use the curse word. Very cool.

Thanks all!
    Bright Info Solutions

Originally posted by Brightadmin
    hi,

I found a way. please copy the script from http://codedata.box.sk/js/script11965.txt.html

just copy the script into a new page (copy to notepad first if you're using FrontPage because it likes to stick @alt tags in the html) to test and it worked great (Put the script between the <head> and </head> tags.

Then.. just add the OnBlur line to my text box:
    <textarea name="Comments" rows="5" cols="70" onBlur = "this.value = checkForProfanity(this.value);"></textarea>

Now.. whenever anyone tries to enter one of the cuss words in the box, and tabs out to submit, they are prompted not to use the curse word. Very cool.

Thanks all!
    what if I didn't want to use bad word but spam with advertising lol,
    tht script won't work

Thanks for the replies. However, the problem is not with bad words. (Cpanel Advanced Guestbook has an option to filter out bad words anyway) The problem is the messages are completely irrelevant to the site and make no sense. The 2 sites in question are musician sites and the guestbook is about them and there work. But the messages say things like "Russian businessman is in jail" or "Your site is so important. Thanks for helping me with such important information". It makes no sense. I dont understand what they are trying to achieve.

I tried banning the IP's that these messages come from but they are never from the same IP. For example, 4 messages were posted within in seconds of each other. The 4 messages had the exact same words but the IP addresses were from 4 different locations - Korea, Mexico, Poland, and Germany. This tells me it's a script running rampant all over the world and it never uses the same IP twice.

So at the moment, I think the only solution is to install the script that requires you to manually enter the code from a randomly generated image. This will prevent the scripts from making entries. I dont think anyone wanting to make a legitimate entry to the guestbook will be put off by it. They are making an entry because they are fans of the artist so I dont think they'll mind this extra little step.

All I have left to do now is find this script. I'll do a search on Hotscripts.

TIA