Cogent vs. the rest

Two simple questions:

1. How does Cogent measure up to the rest of the main bandwidth providers?

2. If the server is hosted outside of the US, does it make a big difference in download speed for recipients of the US?

Thank you.

Cogent is pretty good these days, especially in the US. In the rest of the world it's not so hot.

I've had customers outside the US tell me that they had better routes on our cogent connection then they did on our above net connection. I think a better statement would be in some parts of the world there it isn't all that hot. Either way, overall, cogent is a pretty good provider, especially for the price point..
    James Lumby

Originally posted by lumbyjj
    I've had customers outside the US tell me that they had better routes on our cogent connection then they did on our above net connection. I think a better statement would be in some parts of the world there it isn't all that hot. Either way, overall, cogent is a pretty good provider, especially for the price point..
    as I said in my networking conference at hostingcon....there is no one best network that has all the best routes. each network has its advantages. cogent has certain better routes than all the others depending on where you are coming from and going to.

the key is to be able to select the best routes from each carrier. then cogent could be an asset to your network. if you cant do this -then it could bea disaster if you are geting the bad routes.

mci could be a disaster if you get their bad routes. its the same for all of them.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by sailor
    as I said in my networking conference at hostingcon....there is no one best network that has all the best routes. each network has its advantages. cogent has certain better routes than all the others depending on where you are coming from and going to.

the key is to be able to select the best routes from each carrier. then cogent could be an asset to your network. if you cant do this -then it could bea disaster if you are geting the bad routes.

mci could be a disaster if you get their bad routes. its the same for all of them.
    Agreed. I just wanted to correct the statement that outside of the US it isn't that great..
    James Lumby