View Poll Results: Should StanSQL buy this computer?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 40.00%
  • Nope

6 60.00%

* which computer??

I have been searching for another computer just to use for personal use. Write e-mail, surf the Internet, work on spreadsheets, text documents and other things but not to play any games on this computer. I've went through a handful of places offering computers some were real good deals and some were what Im not willing to spend on this pc.

Today I was browsering and found and amazing low price computer. Something under what I was going to plan on paying but sure, anyways to save money right. The compter is for $299 after rebates here are the specs:

• Sempron™ 3100+ processor 1.8GHz
    • 60GB hard drive
    • Double-layer DVD+/-RW • 7 USB 2.0 ports
    • 8-in-1 memory card reader
    • Amplified stereo speakers

Do you think this computer is PREFECT for the use I need? I will go on msn, write e-mails, surf the net, things like that on this computer. Do you think I should buy it? Comes with no monitor but that is fine I already have one. What do you think?

Well, to me it seems like a pretty good deal. If I was only using it for working and internet browsing then I would purchase it if I was in your situation. It's a brand new system, correct? Not a previously used one?

It could be a good deal if it works well. I'd look at what the store return policy is, and the manufacturer's reputation for quality and customer service,

Quote Originally Posted by sean_price
    Well, to me it seems like a pretty good deal. If I was only using it for working and internet browsing then I would purchase it if I was in your situation. It's a brand new system, correct? Not a previously used one?
    You bet! BRAND NEW..

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled
    Yeah I bougth a computer off them a couple months ago, so far so good.
    They said if Im not satisfied on the computer, then I can return it back within 30 days of the purchase.

I will be using this computer to go on the internt, talk on forums as Im doing now. Go on msn, check e-mails. Surf the net, and thats about it! This will be good for my needs yes?

How much memory? You will want a minimum of 256MB for Windows XP, and 512MB is optimal. Does it come with XP? If not, be prepared to add additional money to the cost.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

From the details that you’ve given, then yes I’d say it’s a good buy for what you need, although as has already been said it’d be nice if we knew how much memory you’d have with the machine.

Ultimately though if you are happy with it, then go for it.

Go on ebay and look for the computers in the 100-150$ (I like the Dell's and IBM's) price range. Buy one that is about 700mhz+ and upgrade your memory to 256 MB if it has less (sdram is cheap). That will be enough to run XP smoothly and any other office activities.
    Last edited by Radix; 06-10-2005 at 05:01 PM.
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

also dell has a special on desktops for 300$ after rebates with more specs if im not mistaken. I saw it in the last dell magazine.
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

Have to wonder whether a poll was necessary...

The ram on it is 256 but maybe thinking of upgradeing it to 512 just in case.

Radix - thanks for the post. Im not buying anything off of Ebay why? 98% of that stuff sold on their is USED, I like to have my computer FRESH brand spanken new, NEVER BEEN used before, well maybe by the manufactors and stuff but like never been bougth by someone else. I like to pick things up, only thing I'll order off the net is mainly servers for hosting or w/e and from newegg. But again thanks for your post.

-T{H}R- - Not to be rude but, Have to wounder wheather your post was necessary. Seems to me like a waste of my time.

no sound ?no lan ?no modem ?does it have mic output ?
    looking for good webhost

ebay sux. don't buy used stuff in ebay .
    brand new is ok .

in year 2000 i lost 4500 in ebay auctions.
    looking for good webhost

The specs look fine (as do the specs on pretty much any machine you can buy). Be careful with cheap hardware though, especially if it isn't a name brand machine. Often the builders will put in extremely cheap components, to the point of overclocking or selling known bad hardware sometimes, that will make your system unstable and unpleasant to use.

I'd advise against buying a computer from a hole-in-the-wall type shop unless you specify exactly the components that are going to go in it (brand and model).

it is your wish to buy a computer depending upon a configuration, my suggestion would be yes. It is a nice configuration