dedicated box with no root pass ?

Hey guys, I just got dedicated box with a company I contact from WHT here, got everything all set into the server... then I change the root pass, I normallly change the root pass every week for security reason but the problem is after I change my root pass then he change it back! after that he not give me the root pass any more! also, he told me that I have to take care the box, he only provide the basic managed. Okie, I understand that so I hire a tech to do the managed for me but I have no root pass to access the box so how can I do it? Also, I paid for dedicated box why I can not access to the root? I post support ticket 2 time today and the tickets gone ... I email, sent IM but the guy just ignored me, what should I do? can anyone give me suggestion?
    Thanks

most likely that isn't really a dedicated box.

What provider is that?

he sold me as dedicated box! Am I got rip ?

They are messing with you. Out them. What company is it?
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

What company is it? There's nothing you can do except contact the company...

- Matt

I do not want to name them out, I think that they still doing the business, if I am not happy I can out, just do not want to post something bad about them ...but I just got with them for 1 week and pay not cheap .... and I not have the root pass how can I run backup?

you're flipping between he / them, is it a one man show?

sorry, it's him .... He just start the business( I guess...)

my question is I am now did not has the root pass, how can I move?
    the funny is he still offer the services in advertising forum ....

To be honest, if he isn't going to give you the root password and you want your data the best way is to make a negative post on WHT regarding his company...

You should still have your account password which you can backup your data with. You really should PM them at least and demand the root password.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I did what I can with no reply ...

Thanks all of you for your reply, I feel much better now even I still has not have to pass for my box!

Thanks all of you for your reply, I feel much better now even I still has not have to pass for my box!
    I am now have to go find a new "honest" provider ...

Who is the provider as they need to be avoided?

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

I really think you should post the company so other people can avoid them..
    Off Topic Forum - An Off Topic discussion Forum.

Do you have a non-root password? Try to backup your stuff with that FIRST, and then tell who it is

Post the company, backup your stuff, and go with layeredtech.

I would just like to say that there are some dedicated server providers, such as 1and1, who do not provide the root password to managed customers. They do, however, provide you with a user (shell) account.

If the server is truely 100% managed and that it is clear up front that the server does not come with root access, then it is perfectly fine.

The problem here is that the box is not managed so the minimum is to give root access to the customer to manage the box.

Guys, you're missing what the OP said. The OP said that the provider said that it was "Basic managed". Meaning the provider deals with setting up and running services. Most managed providers do not give out the root password (most of the time, it's because they don't want you to toy around with the services), but any provider in their right mind would let you get your data off of your server...

Although nobody really listened to some of it, they do make good points. Run like a bat outta' hell.

If your server is fully managed, then it may not comes with root access as the provider is fully responsible for the server.

Since you mentioned that your server is basic managed, you should get the root access, how can you managed a server with root access.

Something is not right here.

You really do need root for server admin. My fully managed VPS has root.... why shouldn't your server?

...You're not listening. Basic managed. Not unmanaged. Meaning that the provider deals with basic administration. The provider is most likely withholding the root pass because it's a managed server and they do not usually release the root password.

OP: I suggest you check your provider's terms of service to see if you even get a root password. If it's managed, there is a possibility that they choose to withhold it and give you a standard user account for your files and applications. Either way, just ask them if it's their policy to withhold the root password, or if they will at least let you retrieve your files. If they answer yes and no, respectively, run like the wind.

If I was you I would threaten to dispute the charges and post his company here. If they are not going to give you root access they should tell you before hand.

I think what's happened is that the "company" want to retain the root password for access to perform their basic management. Although it's bad form not to give it to you as it seems to be only a partial managed service. I guess they don't want you changing it and locking them out of the box.

I guess they haven't heard off ssh keys, which pretty much anyone who's compitent in linux administration should know how to use and therefore not need the root password................?

Jona

A dedicated server doesn't have to come with root access. You only need it if you are responsible for the server administration that requires root access. If it is indeed a managed server, then you don't want root access. It draws a pretty clear line in the sand between responsibilities if you do not have root access.

It seems like this is situation is just a failure to communicate, I'm not so sure jumping ship, thinking you were deceived is the right response just yet. If the company isn't going to make the effort to clarify it, and leaves you confused and dissatisfied, it doesn't represent the best customer service, which might be better reason to leave.

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    To be honest, if he isn't going to give you the root password and you want your data the best way is to make a negative post on WHT regarding his company...
    And yet, so many complain about how customers "flee" to WHT

Originally posted by vaserv
    Who is the provider as they need to be avoided?

Rus
    Might wanna look at the thread starter's FIRST post @ WHT

Scroll Up, did someone mention "Basic Managed"

Last edited by bdsnyder; 06-12-2005 at 10:02 AM.

Originally posted by bdsnyder
    Might wanna look at the thread starter's FIRST post @ WHT

Scroll Up, did someone mention "Basic Managed"

Do you mean this post:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...61#post3130361

Originally posted by efarmer
    Do you mean this post:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...61#post3130361
    That sure does look like their first post

The provider in that thread does state Full Root Access however...

Originally posted by XF-Chan
    The provider in that thread does state Full Root Access however...
    YES, the poster WAS given root access.

The point was, the poster CHANGED the root password,
    the provider did not *like* that it was changed, and
    decided to take root access away from the poster......